1995 thunderbird 900cc

  • mackb20p
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 10, 2007
      I joined your forum however, I do not have a sport. I only have an
      Agean Blue 900cc T-bird with some issues as well as a 1970 500cc unit
      Trophy with a sidecar, and a 1959 650cc pre unit chopper.

      I am having some issues with the engine breaking up at or around 5000
      r.p.m. new battery was a big help as the previous one had a weak cell
      when load tested. I have also replaced the plugs and wires. I have a
      spare coil but do not think that is the problem as all fire with a
      blue white spark. Lastly, I was wondering if it could be carb related
      although it idles smooth and a gummed up carb usually won't idle as
      the are the smallest jet. Oddly the horn only blows at the proper
      decibel level when the r's are up and not at idle and the tach needle
      bounces alot at idle could this be indicative of an alternator issue.

      Mike
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 11, 2007
        I'd bet a fair amount of money that it's not the carb. However, if
        you think it might be, the easiest test is to throw a tank of good
        premium in it (e.g. Mobil) and wring it out really good for a about
        100 miles.

        The horn thing's got me swinging...unless maybe your brand new battery
        isn't gettig charged?

        And finally, last I knew, the tach was hooked to the ignition pickup
        coil, although I also recall somebody saying something about the
        (number one?) coil. FWIW, how a coil behaves at idle or when the
        engine is being cranked with the plugs out does not necessarily tell
        you how it will operate under load at higher rpm. Failing coils
        frequently break up at higher rpm.
      • south_texas_polar_bear
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 11, 2007
          Agreed, from my experience, the coil failure typically showed up
          under load between 3k and 4k. I have experienced the issue with tach
          because of failing coils as well.

          More info about coil replacements on webBikeworld.com

          --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, petermholmes