pipes etc.

  • veloce499
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31 3:47 PM
      Hello All

      Couple of questions from a newbie

      Ive recently bought a 99 TBS (stacked pipes) - Its a low (8000)
      miles bike -in great condition - full service history etc. standard
      factory tune - and rides very well. Not owned it for long though,
      done approx 400 miles on it between rainstorms.

      just wondering

      a) is 'blueing' of the header pipes normal on these bikes ? (I know
      what causes it in general terms)

      b) I noticed a 'ticking' from the front of the engine at and just
      off idle - anything to worry about ?

      thoughts appreciated

      Regards
      Andrew
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
        > a) is 'blueing' of the header pipes normal on these bikes ?

        Yep.

        > b) I noticed a 'ticking' from the front of the engine at and just
        > off idle - anything to worry about ?

        These things have naturally very noisy engines. If applying an
        electrical load (hit the brake) makes the just off idle noise go away,
        you've got the infamous loose alternator bolt problem. Other than
        that, if it makes you nervous have a competent mechanic check the
        valve clearances etc.
      • Norm Bour
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
          Got a '99 TBS myself, just shy of 20K miles and it's been flawless. Just put
          a chain and sprockets on and learned the value of ongoing maintenance. The
          pipes do blue and I agree the engines do make a little more noise that you
          would expect, almost sewing machine sounds, but with ear plugs it purrs!
          Ride safely.

          alohanorm
          The OC