Gas leak

  • kevzed
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
      Can someone help me out. I started my 98 thunderbird sport up in May
      of this year and gas started pouring out of the airbox. I took the
      carbs out and cleaned them up. When I started the bike up again, I let
      it idle for around 5 minutes and everythiong seemed fine. I took it
      for a ride and about 15 minutes into the ride I started smelling gas
      and the bike started to bog out. I just made it home and when I turned
      the bike off, gas stared pouring out of the airbox and overflow tube.
      Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated. I tried finding carb
      rebuild kits on the net but noone seems to have them for the 98
      Thunderbird sport Keihn carbs.

      Thanks,
      Kevin
    • Mo

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
          Sounds like you have something stuck under a needle or a bad needle or
          possibly a float with a hole in it. You need to pull the carbs again and
          take a look.

          --- kevzed <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          > Can someone help me out. I started my 98 thunderbird sport up in May
          > of this year and gas started pouring out of the airbox. I took the
          > carbs out and cleaned them up. When I started the bike up again, I let
          > it idle for around 5 minutes and everythiong seemed fine. I took it
          > for a ride and about 15 minutes into the ride I started smelling gas
          > and the bike started to bog out. I just made it home and when I turned
          > the bike off, gas stared pouring out of the airbox and overflow tube.
          > Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated. I tried finding carb
          > rebuild kits on the net but noone seems to have them for the 98
          > Thunderbird sport Keihn carbs.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Kevin

          Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.
        • Gary L. Gavin
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
            www.bikebandit.com would have access to the Triumph OE carb overhaul kit
            which you could order through your dealer.

            http://www.carbparts.com has been used by many Hinckley owners. I have not
            used them but others say just let them know what bike you have.

            In addition, our carbs were used on some Kawa’s so a Kawasaki dealer would
            have the parts as well, you just need a good parts person or mech to look
            through their bins. I’ve also found reverences and parts listing for our
            carbs at water craft parts suppliers.

            00 Tiger
            07 Mini Cooper S
            85 Ron Cooper (bicycle)
            Oahu, Hawaii
            Sounds like you have something stuck under a needle or a bad needle or
            possibly a float with a hole in it. You need to pull the carbs again and
            take a look.

            --- kevzed <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            > Can someone help me out. I started my 98 thunderbird sport up in May
            > of this year and gas started pouring out of the airbox. I took the
            > carbs out and cleaned them up. When I started the bike up again, I let
            > it idle for around 5 minutes and everythiong seemed fine. I took it
            > for a ride and about 15 minutes into the ride I started smelling gas
            > and the bike started to bog out. I just made it home and when I turned
            > the bike off, gas stared pouring out of the airbox and overflow tube.
            > Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated. I tried finding carb
            > rebuild kits on the net but noone seems to have them for the 98
            > Thunderbird sport Keihn carbs.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Kevin

            Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.
          • Wayne Baker
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
              Late model Sportys has the same carb kits are available from Dennis Kirk
              They also has jets that will work.

              Bored stiff? Loosen up...
              http://games.yahoo.com/games/front
            • abocchi@bellsouth.net
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
                I have Mikuni carbs on my Adventurer, where is the best place for rebuilding kits for them?
                Sid

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 4, 2007
                  > I have Mikuni carbs on my Adventurer, where is
                  > the best place for rebuilding kits for them?
                  > Sid

                  You might do better asking the question over at
                  http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/triumphmotorcycleclub2/
                • Gary L. Gavin
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 4, 2007
                    And, Mikuni parts are available from http://www.carbparts.com as well.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 4, 2007
                      Dennis Kirk also has Mikuni parts I didnt reasearch it too much because I
                      do not have anything running Mikunis

                      --- "Gary L. Gavin" <glgavin@...> wrote:

                      > And, Mikuni parts are available from http://www.carbparts.com as well.
                      >

                      > > I have Mikuni carbs on my Adventurer, where is
                      > > the best place for rebuilding kits for them?
                      > > Sid
                      >
                      > > You might do better asking the question over at
                      > > http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/triumphmotorcycleclub2/
                      >
                      > Gary
                      > 98 Thunderbird Sport
                      > 00 Tiger