Gooey Stuff?

  • Mike Padgett
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 29, 2007
      Okay what's up the the black gooey stuff at the top & bottom of the
      headlight bracket sleeve inside the triple clamp.

      When the stuff gets hot it becomes very soft and gets all over the
      cables that are routed near by. Messy!

      -Mike P.
    • Alec Gore
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 29, 2007
        That's the rubbish Triumph rubber/plastic compound that breaks
        down in heat/acidic atmosphere. Believe it or not they are a
        solid article when new and quite capable of supporting the
        headlamp bracket in place top and bottom (so set of 4
        altogether). Every T3 Triumph I've had, I've replaced these -
        T-bird (twice), Legend and Speed Triple.

        Regards

        Alec
      • Mike Padgett
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 29, 2007
          I looked them up on bikebandit.com. Only $4.54 each. I guess it'd be
          a pretty fair amount of work (fork removal) to replace them.

          -Mike P.
        • Gary L. Gavin
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 29, 2007
            I'm getting ready to replace them on my 98 for the second time. Very gooey
            indeed. I found some o-rings that I tried to use instead but they just
            didn't work as well as the shouldered OE part. I thought their
            deterioration might have been from some cleaning agent. That does not seem
            to be the case. I believe Alex is correct that it's something in the air.

            You might as well plan on changing the fork oil at the same time if it's not
            been done recently. Front wheel needs to be removed too. It's easier to
            drop the fork tubes all the way out. A good amount of goo will be scraped
            off onto the lower fork clamp as well. IIRC I used Honda spray cleaner
            polish to clean up the tubes. If you have any bulbs in your indicator
            panel that need replacing you might as well handle that job at the same time
            too.

            00 Tiger
            07 Mini Cooper S
            85 Ron Cooper (bicycle)
            Oahu, Hawaii
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 29, 2007
              Not really. Loosen off all bolts that secure the forks in the
              triple tree (yoke). Jack up bike under sump. Four bolts to
              release brake calipers, then secure them to stop them swinging
              around; axle securing bolts out; axle out, speedo cable
              disconnected and front wheel out. Wiggle the forks out one by
              one. Clean out the gunge that is the remains of the old mounts
              with solvent/silicon. Place the new ones. Grease the forks and
              slide them back in. Reverse the procedure. Should be done in an
              hour or so.

              Regards

              Alec

              mailto:triumphthunderbirdsportriders-digest@yahoogroups.com

              mailto:triumphthunderbirdsportriders-fullfeatured@...

            • Mike Padgett
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 29, 2007
                I think I'll order one, get measurements from it, make me a drawing
                and have the machine shop at the company I work for make me some out
                of UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene). They'll certainly
                last longer. The stuff isn't flexible like rubber but it's non-
                abrasive. It'll make nice bushings for this application.

                -Mike P.