idle mixture screw settings, plus float height question

  • geoffwaite
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 27, 2007
      I drilled out the EPS plug-covers to get to my screws at the weekend
      (99 US spec TBS). From what I've read, I was expecting them to be 0.75
      turn out. What I found was L:1.5 turns; c:2.5 turns; R:3.5 turns.

      Is this pretty normal, or somehow different than stock?

      Also, I have a question on float heights, if anyone can advise: should
      the heioght be measured to the furthest point away from the pland of
      the gaskjet, or to the top of main body of the float? The floats have
      a raised rim around the outer edge (keinhens). If I measure to the
      highest point on theedge of the float, they all seem to be 1mm out
      (floating low)

      Cheers, geoff
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 28, 2007
        > I drilled out the EPA plug-covers to get to my screws
        > at the weekend (99 US spec TBS). From what I've read,
        > I was expecting them to be 0.75 turn out. What I found
        > was L:1.5 turns; c:2.5 turns; R:3.5 turns.
        >
        > Is this pretty normal, or somehow different than stock?

        I imagine they're set using an exhaust gas analyzer, so realistically
        they could be set to pretty much anything. However, an employee has a
        bad day...or the analyzer dies and nobody notices for a few
        bikes...who knows what you'll get? If your spark plugs are all
        reading equally at idle, I'd start with wherever the screws are now
        and move 1/4-1/2 turn at a time.

        > Also, I have a question on float heights, if anyone can
        > advise: should the heioght be measured to the furthest
        > point away from the pland of the gaskjet, or to the top
        > of main body of the float?

        The Triumph shop manual has you attach a piece of hose to the bowl
        drain and measure using that and a Triumph gage. "Hold the gauge tool
        vertically next to the float chamber joint face with the centre of the
        scale beginning level with the joint face." Correct fuel height is
        1.5mm+/-1mm above the joint face.
      • Gary L. Gavin
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 28, 2007
          The Pilot screws on mine differed by a much smaller amount. Number 1 was
          3/8 turn less than center and number 3 was 1/8 less than center. These
          settings were originally done by the dealer with a gas analyzer, K&N filter
          and TOR. New main jets #96 were fitted to complete what was then a Stage 1
          performance kit from Wilcox Engines in the UK. Wilcox did lots of engine
          development for Triumph in the early Hinckley days. Since the TORs are no
          longer available from Triumph the stage 1 kit is no longer available. When I
          made the change to the Staintune exhaust system they had to fiddle with the
          pilot screw settings somewhat but no main jet, pilot jet or needles were
          changed nor were shims added.

          http://www.wilcoxengines.demon.co.uk/tbirdsp.htm

          Peter covered the Triumph way of checking the float height. I purchased a
          tool from Factory Pro. Photos and procedures are on their website
          http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tuning_procedures/tuning_float_height_adj_pro
          cedure.html

          00 Tiger

          07 Mini Cooper S

          85 Ron Cooper (bicycle)

          Oahu, Hawaii

          _____

          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007
            Thanks for the info., guys. I will tinker once i've set up. I'm
            thinking of:

            drilling out the back of the airbox, then 40 pilots; 110 mains, raise
            the needles on nylon washers; then I'll set the screw the old fashioned
            way by listening and tweaking!

            I'll let you know how I get on. Any views on if it's woth buying the
            Factorypro needles?

            Cheers, Geoff
          • Wayne Baker
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007
              Geoff
              It would be a good idea to get the Factory Pro needles. I was having
              problem tuning my 98 Sport after seriously modding the airbox I also have
              a set of the offroad muffs. The difference was amazing. (removed a set of
              dynomax needles) I immediatly lost a stumble I was trying to get rid of. I
              know that they are expensive but they are well worth the cost.
              Current settings
              48 Pilots
              110 Main jets
              Factory pro needles on 3rd groove

              Cheers
              Wayne

              --- geoffwaite <yahoo@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the info., guys. I will tinker once i've set up. I'm
              > thinking of:
              >
              > drilling out the back of the airbox, then 40 pilots; 110 mains, raise
              > the needles on nylon washers; then I'll set the screw the old fashioned
              > way by listening and tweaking!
              >
              > I'll let you know how I get on. Any views on if it's woth buying the
              > Factorypro needles?
              >
              > Cheers, Geoff

            • Chris Griffin
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007
                Second that, FP needles are a distinct improvement. TOR Slash cuts, Pod
                filters, stock Pilots, 130 mains 2.5 turns on the screws 2nd needle slot
                from the top. Not exactly the same induction setup as you but the FP needles
                really smooth out the mid/high range on the kiehins when flow is increased.
                I consider them easily worth every penny spent.

                -Grif

                --- geoffwaite <yahoo@... <mailto:yahoo%40waitehere.com> > wrote:

                > Thanks for the info., guys. I will tinker once i've set up. I'm
                > thinking of:
                >
                > drilling out the back of the airbox, then 40 pilots; 110 mains, raise
                > the needles on nylon washers; then I'll set the screw the old fashioned
                > way by listening and tweaking!
                >
                > I'll let you know how I get on. Any views on if it's woth buying the
                > Factorypro needles?
                >
                > Cheers, Geoff

                Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join Yahoo!'s user panel
                and lay it on us.

              • tbsbiker2
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 17, 2007
                  I don't post much but I paid the price for the Factory pro kit...200
                  TBS with off roads, I run the new needles, upped the mains with the
                  smaller of the two options that come in the kit and have my mixture
                  screws 2.5 ish turns out...HUGE difference, as mentioned the big
                  stumble if you give it heavy throttle input completly dissappeared.
                  The only change I did NOT make is putting in the upped pilots they
                  provided...i get some popping on decelaration but not bad...

                  Any one running the increased pilots? I was afraid they might
                  overrichen the mixuter for low rpm riding? Naturally the Factory Pro
                  folks say to intall them?

                  --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Wayne Baker
                  <connorblk@...> wrote:

                  > Geoff
                  > It would be a good idea to get the Factory Pro needles. I was
                  having
                  > problem tuning my 98 Sport after seriously modding the airbox I
                  also have
                  > a set of the offroad muffs. The difference was amazing. (removed a
                  set of
                  > dynomax needles) I immediatly lost a stumble I was trying to get
                  rid of. I
                  > know that they are expensive but they are well worth the cost.
                  > Current settings
                  > 48 Pilots
                  > 110 Main jets
                  > Factory pro needles on 3rd groove
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  > Wayne
                  >
                  > --- geoffwaite <yahoo@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Thanks for the info., guys. I will tinker once i've set up.
                  I'm
                  > > thinking of:
                  > >
                  > > drilling out the back of the airbox, then 40 pilots; 110 mains,
                  raise
                  > > the needles on nylon washers; then I'll set the screw the old
                  fashioned
                  > > way by listening and tweaking!
                  > >
                  > > I'll let you know how I get on. Any views on if it's woth
                  buying the
                  > > Factorypro needles?
                  > >
                  > > Cheers, Geoff
                  > >

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  _______________
                  user panel and lay it on us.

                • geoffwaite
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 17, 2007
                    Guess I'll have to break open the piggy bank, then...

                    The main issues I want to address are the stumble (splutter, i'd say)
                    at between 3.5k and 5k and then the running out of steam at higher rpm

                    Thanks for the advice. Geoff
                  • ian948309
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 18, 2007
                      Hi,

                      Is your Factory Pro Kit the same as the Dynojet kits?

                      http://www.dynojet.co.uk/jetkits/index.htm

                      I have recently upgraded to a Thunderbird sport 04 model from a 00
                      Legend and love the bike however I feel I would like more mid range
                      grunt and torque so I got a dynojet kit off eBay for it, a K&N air
                      filter and plan to drill out the silencers. Do you think this is the
                      right way to go and if the kits are the same or similar what settings
                      would you suggest.

                      Cheers
                      Ian
                    • Wayne Baker
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 18, 2007
                        The needles are the big difference in teh factory pro kit but there are
                        more main jets to choose from and the Dynojet kit didnt have pilot jets in
                        it. Also the tuning instructions are a lot better in the Factory Pro kit.
                        The tuning instructions has been posted by somebody here before.
                        Wayne

                        --- ian948309 <ian.crownshaw@...> wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > Is your Factory Pro Kit the same as the Dynojet kits?
                        >
                        > http://www.dynojet.co.uk/jetkits/index.htm
                        >
                        > I have recently upgraded to a Thunderbird sport 04 model from a 00
                        > Legend and love the bike however I feel I would like more mid range
                        > grunt and torque so I got a dynojet kit off eBay for it, a K&N air
                        > filter and plan to drill out the silencers. Do you think this is the
                        > right way to go and if the kits are the same or similar what settings
                        > would you suggest.
                        >
                        > Cheers
                        > Ian
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Take Care
                        Wayne
                        "Whenever I feel blue I start breathing again."

                        http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 18, 2007
                          The needles are different,

                          >From what I've read the Factory Pro needles are the preferred ones.

                          --On July 18, 2007 2:47:11 PM +0000 ian948309
                          <ian.crownshaw@...> wrote:

                          > Hi,
                          >
                          > Is your Factory Pro Kit the same as the Dynojet kits?
                          >
                          > http://www.dynojet.co.uk/jetkits/index.htm
                          >
                          > I have recently upgraded to a Thunderbird sport 04 model from a 00
                          > Legend and love the bike however I feel I would like more mid range
                          > grunt and torque so I got a dynojet kit off eBay for it, a K&N air
                          > filter and plan to drill out the silencers. Do you think this is the
                          > right way to go and if the kits are the same or similar what settings
                          > would you suggest.
                          >
                          > Cheers
                          > Ian

                        • tbsbiker2
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 19, 2007
                            Over in the TriumphRenegade group Jimmy900 has posted a wealth of
                            tuning knowledge for the thunderbird motor...the man deserves a
                            medal for it...lots of input, pictures theory. Helped me to avoid
                            OVERDOING it...I am very happy with the state of mild tune on my
                            TBS.

                            --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Denny
                            <dennyhenderson@...> wrote:

                            > The needles are different,
                            >
                            > >From what I've read the Factory Pro needles are the preferred
                            ones.

                            > --On July 18, 2007 2:47:11 PM +0000 ian948309
                            > <ian.crownshaw@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > Hi,
                            > >
                            > > Is your Factory Pro Kit the same as the Dynojet kits?
                            > >
                            > > http://www.dynojet.co.uk/jetkits/index.htm
                            > >
                            > > I have recently upgraded to a Thunderbird sport 04 model from a
                            00
                            > > Legend and love the bike however I feel I would like more mid
                            range
                            > > grunt and torque so I got a dynojet kit off eBay for it, a K&N
                            air
                            > > filter and plan to drill out the silencers. Do you think this is
                            the
                            > > right way to go and if the kits are the same or similar what
                            settings
                            > > would you suggest.
                            > >
                            > > Cheers
                            > > Ian
                            > >

                            > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                            > >

                            > Thanks,
                            > Denny

                          • jimmyj900
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 19, 2007
                              --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "geoffwaite"
                              <yahoo@...> wrote:
                              >> The main issues I want to address are the stumble (splutter, i'd say)
                              at between 3.5k and 5k and then the running out of steam at higher rpm<<

                              As far as the Keihin carbs go...
                              The stumble at 4K is related to the start of the needle taper. The
                              stock N3RF needles have a pretty long straight section so the needle
                              taper kicks in late when there are airflow mods done (modded airbox,
                              aftermarket mufflers, etc.)

                              As a low-cost alternative to the Factory Pro needles, try the Thruxton
                              needles. You can order them direct from Triumph at a reasonable price.

                              The taper and straight diameter are identical to the FP needles and the
                              taper start is almost identical to the FP needles on the lowest clip
                              position.

                              The 'flat' top end on the 885 Classics engines is almost entirely due
                              to the exhaust system, so your peak horsepower will be under 75
                              regardless of intake mods or jetting. Swapping mufflers or punching
                              the stock ones will only have a minor effect.

                              Making intake mods will let you get to 70-75 hp, but the linearity of
                              th full throttle operation will suffer -- usually a lean spot around 4K
                              and then rich between 5-6K. The top end will start to go flat at about
                              6.5K and the torque will roll off above that point unless you change
                              the pipes to a 3:1 or 3:2 system.

                              With the stock unmodified airbox the biggest main jet you can use will
                              be a #100 and the maximum pilot jet for normal operation will be a #40.
                              A K&N filter in the stock airbox combined with open mufflers migh let
                              you use a #102 main jet if you're in a cool climate at low altitude. A
                              #102 at high altitude or in high temperatures and humidity will run
                              quite rich at full throttle -- possibly to the point of engine
                              misfiring.

                              Going to a bigger pilot jet to 'swamp' the lean spot at 4K will produce
                              an extremely rich small throttle condition that may make the bike
                              unrideable.

                              Also, since most riding is done at small throttle settings on the pilot
                              jet, a larger jet will rapidly increase fuel consumption.

                              If you want a real jetting nightmare, install the 'blue' cams... ;^}

                              Jim
                            • Guy
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 26, 2007
                                I plan to do similar set up on my TBSS, but after a set of exhaust
                                pipes are installed.-
                                What i want to know is that what level are ur setting performed--sea
                                level or in the mountains.
                                I do most riding as a commutor at sea level with occasional short
                                trips to tupstate New York and Conneticut mountain roads.
                                I also have a set of flat slide carbs , but was told they're mostly
                                good for mid to topend riding.
                                when i get them installed I will give an evaluation of bith.

                                --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Griffin"
                                <chris@...> wrote:

                                > Second that, FP needles are a distinct improvement. TOR Slash cuts,
                                Pod
                                > filters, stock Pilots, 130 mains 2.5 turns on the screws 2nd needle
                                slot
                                > from the top. Not exactly the same induction setup as you but the
                                FP needles
                                > really smooth out the mid/high range on the kiehins when flow is
                                increased.
                                > I consider them easily worth every penny spent.
                                >
                                > -Grif
                                >

                                > From: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                              • Wayne Baker
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 27, 2007
                                  A lot of my riding is at sea level but there are times I do go over some
                                  passes that are around 1500 feet above sea level.
                                  Wayne

                                • Chris Griffin
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 27, 2007
                                    I live on the coast in Maine. But my settings work fine up in the white
                                    mountains of NH (not much different than the Poconos in general elevation).

                                    I plan to do similar set up on my TBSS, but after a set of exhaust
                                    pipes are installed.-
                                    What i want to know is that what level are ur setting performed--sea
                                    level or in the mountains.
                                    I do most riding as a commutor at sea level with occasional short
                                    trips to tupstate New York and Conneticut mountain roads.
                                    I also have a set of flat slide carbs , but was told they're mostly
                                    good for mid to topend riding.
                                    when i get them installed I will give an evaluation of bith.

                                    --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
                                    <mailto:triumphthunderbirdsportriders%40yahoogroups.com> , "Chris Griffin"
                                    <chris@...> wrote:

                                    > Second that, FP needles are a distinct improvement. TOR Slash cuts,
                                    Pod
                                    > filters, stock Pilots, 130 mains 2.5 turns on the screws 2nd needle
                                    slot
                                    > from the top. Not exactly the same induction setup as you but the
                                    FP needles
                                    > really smooth out the mid/high range on the kiehins when flow is
                                    increased.
                                    > I consider them easily worth every penny spent.
                                    >
                                    > -Grif
                                    >

                                    > From: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
                                    <mailto:triumphthunderbirdsportriders%40yahoogroups.com>
                                    > [mailto:triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
                                    <mailto:triumphthunderbirdsportriders%40yahoogroups.com>
                                    > Subject: Re: [T TBS R] idle mixture screw settings, plus float
                                    height
                                    > question
                                    >

                                    > Geoff
                                    > It would be a good idea to get the Factory Pro needles. I was having
                                    > problem tuning my 98 Sport after seriously modding the airbox I
                                    also have
                                    > a set of the offroad muffs. The difference was amazing. (removed a
                                    set of
                                    > dynomax needles) I immediatly lost a stumble I was trying to get
                                    rid of. I
                                    > know that they are expensive but they are well worth the cost.
                                    > Current settings
                                    > 48 Pilots
                                    > 110 Main jets
                                    > Factory pro needles on 3rd groove
                                    >
                                    > Cheers
                                    > Wayne
                                    >
                                    > --- geoffwaite <yahoo@... <mailto:yahoo%40waitehere.com> > wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Thanks for the info., guys. I will tinker once i've set up. I'm
                                    > > thinking of:
                                    > >
                                    > > drilling out the back of the airbox, then 40 pilots; 110 mains,
                                    raise
                                    > > the needles on nylon washers; then I'll set the screw the old
                                    fashioned
                                    > > way by listening and tweaking!
                                    > >
                                    > > I'll let you know how I get on. Any views on if it's woth buying
                                    the
                                    > > Factorypro needles?
                                    > >
                                    > > Cheers, Geoff
                                    > >

                                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    user panel
                                    > and lay it on us.

                                  • geoffwaite
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Apr 6, 2008
                                      First ride on new setup and it feels better (more power and smoother)
                                      than stock. It's seems to have fixed the flat and stuttering 3k-5k and
                                      the fading top end issues I had with stock set up. First modded set up
                                      is:

                                      * emgo short reverse cone mufflers with extra fiberglass mat
                                      * 6 x 1.5" plus 2 x 1.25" holes in airbox
                                      * 125 mains
                                      * 1 x #6 nylon washer (0.8mm) under needle
                                      * 40 pilots
                                      * 2.5 turns on idle screw

                                      I'll post a pic of the airbox in the photos for anyone interested.
                                      I'll report back after I put a few more miles and tweaked some more