Re: [T TBS R] Re: Best seat for longer rides?

  • Mike Padgett
    Message 1 of 8 , May 30, 2007
      Are the modifications to the Corbin Gunfighter seat pretty simple? -MP

      Message 2 of 8 , May 30, 2007
        I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried the Sprint
        Manufacturing 'comfort seat' on a TBS ?? problem I find with the
        standard seat is that the 'cutout' is in the wrong place, I'd prefer
        something flatter.. I like the style of the single seat + cowl, but
        dont see how I'd be able to use my throwover panniers - although i
        cant use them with the stock seat either as the indicators are in
        the way..
        Neil

        <mike_padgett@...> wrote:

        > Are the modifications to the Corbin Gunfighter seat pretty
        simple? -MP

      • Niles Reichardt
        Message 3 of 8 , May 30, 2007
          Neil-
          I have the Sprint Manu seat on my TBS, and I like it alot. It
          keeps me from sliding forward which was one problem I had with the
          stock seat. It is also a dished and steps up for the pillion, both of
          which fit me quite well. Price was reasonable too. Only downside is
          that you have to send them the seat pan. I bought a extra off of e-
          bay so I could keep riding while the made the seat. If you want a
          picture let me know and I can send you one.

          On May 30, 2007, at 3:50 PM, neil3432 wrote:

          > I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried the Sprint
          > Manufacturing 'comfort seat' on a TBS ?? problem I find with the
          > standard seat is that the 'cutout' is in the wrong place, I'd prefer
          > something flatter.. I like the style of the single seat + cowl, but
          > dont see how I'd be able to use my throwover panniers - although i
          > cant use them with the stock seat either as the indicators are in
          > the way..
          > Neil
          >
          > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Padgett"
          > <mike_padgett@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Are the modifications to the Corbin Gunfighter seat pretty
          > simple? -MP

          Niles Reichardt, DVM
          Laboratory Information Systems Manager
          Washington Animal Disease Diagnostic Lab
          (509) 335-2409
          nlr@...

        • mtnrunjohn
          Message 4 of 8 , May 31, 2007
            You can also order the cover and foam only and have
            it installed locally

            John
          • Shawn McKenna
            Message 5 of 8 , May 31, 2007
              That's what I did for my '03 tbs - ordered cover and foam and installed
              at home.

              Shawn
              Message 6 of 8 , May 31, 2007
                > I have the Sprint Manu seat on my TBS, and I like it alot.

                Ditto.
              • neil3432
                Message 7 of 8 , May 31, 2007
                  Niles.. Thanks, I found a picture in the photogallery taken by Peter
                  Holmes comparing the standard with the comfort seat - looks like
                  what i'm looking for... Sprint now advertise them for outright
                  purchase rather than just exchange, so I'll contact them and see
                  what the availability is.
                  Neil

                  --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Niles
                  Reichardt <nlr@...> wrote:

                  > Neil-
                  > I have the Sprint Manu seat on my TBS, and I like it alot. It
                  > keeps me from sliding forward which was one problem I had with
                  the
                  > stock seat. It is also a dished and steps up for the pillion, both
                  of
                  > which fit me quite well. Price was reasonable too. Only downside
                  is
                  > that you have to send them the seat pan. I bought a extra off of e-

                  > bay so I could keep riding while the made the seat. If you want a
                  > picture let me know and I can send you one.

                • Bill
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 31, 2007
                    <mike_padgett@...> wrote:

                    > Are the modifications to the Corbin Gunfighter seat pretty simple? -MP

                    Yeah, not too bad.

                    The locking pin is on a plate riveted to the seat pan.

                    You have to drill out the rivits, reverse the pin and then re-rivet it
                    to a different location.

                    The underside of the seat is not smooth and I cut about a quarter inch
                    off one side of the mounting plate to get it to fit better but that was
                    it.

                    I think if I were to do it again I would cover the area with JBWeld for
                    a tighter fit but mine has been done for a couple of years and I have
                    not had a problem with it.

                    The hardest part was marking the spot to re-rivit the locking pin.

                    I put the pin in the locking mechinism and used washers to raise it up.

                    I then put a cloth on the bottom of the plate with ink on the cloth and
                    pressed the seat into place so the ink would mark the bottom of the
                    seat.

                    Then drilled holes in the pan for the new pop rivets and re-riveted the
                    locking pin in the new location.

                    All in all a pretty simple process that took only about an hour.

                    -