RE: [T TBS R] Aaaargh! Easter Misfire!

  • Alec Gore
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 8, 2007
      Classic coil failure! Worse when warmed up and worse at lower
      rpms.

      Regards

      Alec
    • Cub Bitz
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 9, 2007
        First off ... DONT panic !!!!
        I am in the UK too, Ashford Kent.
        My TBS did EXACTLY the same after being stored away by my mate (the last owner...)

        When I picked it up it was running as rough as hell.

        We did the following

        1. DRAIN THE CARBS as unleaded goes off within a matter of weeks
        You will smell it if it is stale.

        2. Fit NEW plugs

        3. Remove & blow through all jets on each carb
        It sounds as if your pilot jets are blocked to me.
        You usually loose first 1/4 of the throttle until the main jet then kicks in !

        This should sort it out & is cheaper than replacing coils especially if you dont need to.

        Another tip , is to drain the carbs before putting it away for the winter...

        I sell a few parts on ebay....

        Ebay user name is cubbitz85

        REGARDS,
        Fuzz.

      • PETER FAKER

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 9, 2007
            --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Gore"
            <e-mail@...> wrote:

            > Classic coil failure! Worse when warmed up and worse at lower
            > rpms.

            Alec's right, but as this was your first run after a winter lay-up,
            I'd be checking the fuel system for cleanliness before spending any
            big bucks!
            (Mine '99 yellow TBS will be coming out of hibernation in Lincs for
            its MoT later this week. Where are you based?)

            Richard T
            Alkborough, N Lincs.
          • jim Bousman
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 9, 2007
              I agree with Richard. Mine misfired and popped even
              after a new set of plugs. Swore it was ignition. Put
              clean gas in and ran it on the highway for about an
              hour. Purrs like a kitten.

              JimBo
              --- taylorrguk <rgtay@...> wrote:

              > --- In
              > triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Alec
              > Gore"
              > <e-mail@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Classic coil failure! Worse when warmed up and
              > worse at lower
              > > rpms.
              > >

              > Alec's right, but as this was your first run after a
              > winter lay-up,
              > I'd be checking the fuel system for cleanliness
              > before spending any
              > big bucks!
              > (Mine '99 yellow TBS will be coming out of
              > hibernation in Lincs for
              > its MoT later this week. Where are you based?)
              >
              > Richard T
              > Alkborough, N Lincs.

            • PETER FAKER
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 10, 2007
                I'll certainly check out the jets, but opening it up in second should move straight onto the mains. I don't think it's a gas quality problem. There were only a couple of litres in the tank, so the first thing I had to do was to top up with another 13. I've got a suspicion I'll end up changing coils.

                cheers
                Peter F

                --- taylorrguk <rgtay@...> wrote:

                > --- In
                > triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Alec
                > Gore"
                > <e-mail@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Classic coil failure! Worse when warmed up and
                > worse at lower
                > > rpms.
                > >

                > Alec's right, but as this was your first run after a
                > winter lay-up,
                > I'd be checking the fuel system for cleanliness
                > before spending any
                > big bucks!
                > (Mine '99 yellow TBS will be coming out of
                > hibernation in Lincs for
                > its MoT later this week. Where are you based?)
                >
                > Richard T
                > Alkborough, N Lincs.

              • PETER FAKER
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 12, 2007
                  Richard,

                  I'm just on the north side of Market Rasen, so not far from you. Have you come across any other TBSs in the area? I joined the TOMCC and transferred to the Lincs branch when it opened last year, but there are no TBS riders there.
                  Good luck with the MOT. I changed test station last year and ended up having to buy a set of test legal silencers.

                  Cheers
                  Peter

                  <e-mail@...> wrote:

                  > Classic coil failure! Worse when warmed up and worse at lower
                  > rpms.

                  Alec's right, but as this was your first run after a winter lay-up,
                  I'd be checking the fuel system for cleanliness before spending any
                  big bucks!
                  (Mine '99 yellow TBS will be coming out of hibernation in Lincs for
                  its MoT later this week. Where are you based?)

                  Richard T
                  Alkborough, N Lincs.

                • neil3432
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 12, 2007
                    Peter.. there is another TBS rider at the 'missing lincs' branch as
                    I joinned the other week!
                    Neil

                    --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, PETER FAKER