riding in the wind

  • mj faz
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 30, 2007
      I am a fairly new rider. TBS 03 is my first bike. It feels like I am going to be blown off my bike
      at 60 mph. Is the a normal feeling, is it different with other bikes??

      Andy F
    • mikepadgett2002
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 30, 2007
        Andy:

        Yeah, on any bike without a windshield or fairing your getting a full
        wind blast. If you're wearing a jacket that doesn't vent, make sure
        it's zipped up so it doesn't feel like a prarchute is attached to you.

        Also, wear a full-faced helmet if you're not already. That'll help
        with the aerodynamics.

        When you're at speed on your TBS, lean forward a bit into the wind and
        let it support you.

        -MP
      • Todd Luchette
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 30, 2007
          Andy,

          Same thing happened to me. I guess you'll get used to it, or if
          you're like me, you'll get the flyscreen and be done with it and
          you're bike will look even better.

          Todd
          '98 tbs

          On Mar 30, 2007, at 7:46 AM, mj faz wrote:

          > I am a fairly new rider. TBS 03 is my first bike. It feels like I
          > am going to be blown off my bike
          > at 60 mph. Is the a normal feeling, is it different with other bikes??
          >
          > Andy F
          >

          > _

          "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired,
          signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are
          not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."
          President Dwight D. Eisenhower
          April 16, 1953

        • jim Bousman
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2007
            Andy,
            Buffeting the wind can take a bit to get used to. I
            remember being in your shoes and having to inch my way
            up to road speeds until I felt confident. The good
            news is that the gyroscopic effect of a motorcycle
            makes them much more stable than they feel. It takes a
            lot more wind than you thing to upset a cruising bike.

            The suggestions on handlebars may help as well as a
            windscreen. However on the screen, please note that
            with a large screen you are trading wind buffeting
            your body with wind buffeting your bike. You will
            note some handlebar shake in a stiff ¾ wind or with a
            passing semi (lorry).

            One other suggestion is a backrest. Constantly
            compensating for the wind can be tiring on your arms
            and back. A good backrest will allow you to relax
            more and concentrate more on controlling the bike than
            merely holding on. It is essential for long trips.

            Otherwise, grab a hold of it and give’er a twist. The
            more you ride the more confident you will feel.

            JimBo

            --- mj faz <andrew_s_fazekas@...> wrote:

            > I am a fairly new rider. TBS 03 is my first bike.
            > It feels like I am going to be blown off my bike
            > at 60 mph. Is the a normal feeling, is it different
            > with other bikes??
            >
            > Andy F

          • Norm Bour
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2, 2007
              I just returned from a 1375 mile trip over 4 days. Even with a Fly screen,
              the wind CAN be tiresome. The bike however was flawless, hitting the 17K
              mark. The tach started its wild fluctuation thing on the last day, so I
              guess it's time for those infamous coils that are due soon. Also tried
              heated clothes for the first time, seems to be no issue on the alternator
              draw.

              As a note, I had to ride about 30 miles over VERY rough terrain, gravel and
              dirt, rutted and such. NOT what a TBS is known for, but it held it's own.

              alohanorm

              --- mj faz <andrew_s_fazekas@ <mailto:andrew_s_fazekas%40sbcglobal.net>
              sbcglobal.net> wrote:

              > I am a fairly new rider. TBS 03 is my first bike.
              > It feels like I am going to be blown off my bike
              > at 60 mph. Is the a normal feeling, is it different
              > with other bikes??
              >
              > Andy F

            • vwvvi
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 3, 2007
                Hang in there, you'll learn to become really confident in the TBS. I
                bought an '04 TBS last summer and am amazed at how comfortable the
                bike is for me. I've heard complaints about the seat sloping
                forward; maybe it's my height (5'8") or girth (comfortable:-), but I
                find it really easy to ride. 600km one day a week after I bought it
                and I didn't hurt that night. Try sitting further back a bit on the
                seat and the wind will hold you up, easing the pressure on your arms
                and shoulders.

                I installed a Memphis Shades Shooter universal mount a couple of
                months ago and it works like a charm for my height. Bought it mostly
                for the commute on frigid April mornings.
                vern...

                --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "mj faz"