2004 color scheme(s)

  • stuckey_bowler
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 15, 2007
      Hi everyone,

      New to the group as I don't have a TBS yet; but I'm on the prowl for
      one. There were two for sale in my vicinity that were in great shape,
      but both bikes were sold before I even had a chance to see them! Saw
      an ad for one today though and had a question I was hoping someone
      could help me out on. It's listed as a 2004, but the pictures show
      the color scheme to be yellow with black highlights. I was under the
      impression that all the 2004's were black with yellow highlights. Is
      the seller confused or were there some black on yellow 04's made? Thanks.
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 16, 2007
        > It's listed as a 2004, but the pictures show the color scheme
        > to be yellow with black highlights. I was under the impression
        > that all the 2004's were black with yellow highlights. Is the
        > seller confused or were there some black on yellow 04's made?

        Somebody may have switched the tank for a tank from a '99 or earlier
        model:

        Are the fenders black?
      • stuckey_bowler
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 16, 2007
          The fenders are yellow as well. In fact it looks similar to
          your '99 except the exhaust is a single pipe on both sides and has
          the stock seat rather than single seat w/cowl (which looks great btw
          and would be the first thing I'd change about it if I purchased it).

          --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, petermholmes
          <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > > It's listed as a 2004, but the pictures show the color scheme
          > > to be yellow with black highlights. I was under the impression
          > > that all the 2004's were black with yellow highlights. Is the
          > > seller confused or were there some black on yellow 04's made?
          >
          > Somebody may have switched the tank for a tank from a '99 or
          earlier
          > model:

          photos/view/8d38?b=3

          > Are the fenders black?

        • jaben03tbs
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 16, 2007
            You are correct
            2004 black with yellow highlights
            2003 orange with black highlights
            Yellow with balack would be a 1997 -1999 I think.
            White with orange in 2000
            see here:
            http://www.thunderbirdsportriders.net/history.htm
            John

            --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "stuckey_bowler"

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 16, 2007
              > The fenders are yellow as well. In fact it looks similar to
              > your '99 except the exhaust is a single pipe on both sides

              Unless you can spot something funny on the right side exhaust mount,
              then it's probably just a '00 or later bike that's had the bodywork
              changed to that of a '99 or earlier, an easy enough to do task. I'd
              want to know why the bodywork got changed, though. In the case of my
              '00, I hated the look (creamsicle) so I had it custom painted. Maybe
              this owner or the previous one did the same...but I'd at least try to
              find out if the bike was involved in an accident.
            • stuckey_bowler
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 16, 2007
                Mystery solved! Turns out that the photo was shot with a really cheap
                camera and the bike is indeed black on orange rather than black on
                yellow and thus a 2003 (not a 2004 as the owner specified in the ad).

                So now the key question that the color/year thing is straightened out:
                2003 completely stock with 2500 miles for $5k. Good deal, bad deal,
                or fair deal? The black on orange is my least favorite color scheme,
                but low mileage examples to TBS's don't seem that easy to come by.
                Thanks.

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 17, 2007
                  > Mystery solved! Turns out that the photo was shot with
                  > a really cheap camera and the bike is indeed black on
                  > orange rather than black on yellow and thus a 2003

                  That makes more sense. :)

                  > 2003 completely stock with 2500 miles for $5k. Good deal,
                  > bad deal, or fair deal?

                  According to NADA average retail is $4935 and Kelly Blue Book has it
                  at $5480, so it doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

                  > The black on orange is my least favorite color scheme

                  Easily fixed. For instance:

                  > low mileage examples to TBS's don't seem that easy to come by.

                  Probably not at this point. I think people have begun to realize just
                  exactly how nice a bike these things are.

                  Good luck with it. Let us know what happens.
                • mj faz
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 17, 2007
                    <stuckey_bowler@...> wrote:

                    > Mystery solved! Turns out that the photo was shot with a really cheap
                    > camera and the bike is indeed black on orange rather than black on
                    > yellow and thus a 2003 (not a 2004 as the owner specified in the ad).
                    >
                    > So now the key question that the color/year thing is straightened out:
                    > 2003 completely stock with 2500 miles for $5k. Good deal, bad deal,
                    > or fair deal? The black on orange is my least favorite color scheme,
                    > but low mileage examples to TBS's don't seem that easy to come by.
                    > Thanks.
                    >

                    > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, petermholmes
                    > <no_reply@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > The fenders are yellow as well. In fact it looks similar to
                    > > > your '99 except the exhaust is a single pipe on both sides
                    > >
                    > > Unless you can spot something funny on the right side exhaust mount,
                    > > then it's probably just a '00 or later bike that's had the bodywork
                    > > changed to that of a '99 or earlier, an easy enough to do task. I'd
                    > > want to know why the bodywork got changed, though. In the case of my
                    > > '00, I hated the look (creamsicle) so I had it custom painted. Maybe
                    > > this owner or the previous one did the same...but I'd at least try to
                    > > find out if the bike was involved in an accident.

                    I GOT MINE FOR 4000, 2 SEATS AND A FLYSCREEN BUT HAD 24K. NICE AND BROKEN IN
                  • Norm Bour
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 17, 2007
                      I think it's a good deal. I bought my '99 in '03, so it was 4 years old and
                      had 1500 miles, paid $4K. Mine is yellow/ black, which I love, the orange/
                      black is actually very cool. Bright vibrant colors on these bikes really
                      stand out, especially since there are NOT that many. I rarely see a TBS,
                      even in the largest gatherings. The only thing bad about orange it's a tough
                      color to match driving gear and and even harder word to rhyme with...

                      alohanorm
                      The OC

                      Mystery solved! Turns out that the photo was shot with a really cheap
                      camera and the bike is indeed black on orange rather than black on
                      yellow and thus a 2003 (not a 2004 as the owner specified in the ad).

                      So now the key question that the color/year thing is straightened out:
                      2003 completely stock with 2500 miles for $5k. Good deal, bad deal,
                      or fair deal? The black on orange is my least favorite color scheme,
                      but low mileage examples to TBS's don't seem that easy to come by.
                      Thanks.

                      --- In triumphthunderbirds
                      <mailto:triumphthunderbirdsportriders%40yahoogroups.com>
                      <no_reply@...> wrote:

                      > > The fenders are yellow as well. In fact it looks similar to
                      > > your '99 except the exhaust is a single pipe on both sides
                      >
                      > Unless you can spot something funny on the right side exhaust mount,
                      > then it's probably just a '00 or later bike that's had the bodywork
                      > changed to that of a '99 or earlier, an easy enough to do task. I'd
                      > want to know why the bodywork got changed, though. In the case of my
                      > '00, I hated the look (creamsicle) so I had it custom painted. Maybe
                      > this owner or the previous one did the same...but I'd at least try to
                      > find out if the bike was involved in an accident.

                    • Jason Peterson

                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 18, 2007
                          I'm now a member of the TBS mafia. Picked up the '03! Well, put a
                          deposit on it anyway and will pick it up on Tuesday. Woohoo.

                          I'm not needing the extra power yet, so I'll put off getting the
                          off-road pipes and rejetting the carb for now. Figure the first
                          things to do are:
                          1) New mirrors,
                          2) Single seat with cowl,
                          3) New helmet.

                          What is the mafia-approved brand/models for these items?

                          Man, I am so excited; can't wait until Tuesday.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 18, 2007
                            > I'm now a member of the TBS mafia. Picked up the '03! Well, put a
                            > deposit on it anyway and will pick it up on Tuesday. Woohoo.

                            Congratulations!