Got the new Avon Av55, 56's...

  • jasonj_j
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 7, 2007
      Just got the new replacement tires for the av45, 46's through the mail
      and will put them on by the weekend. Will let everyone know how they
      are.

      Jason
    • Alec Gore
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
        You'll love 'em. Ready to go after just a few miles run in and
        handle superbly on wet and muddy country roads.

        Regards

        Alec
      • tbird_tomh
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
          --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "jasonj_j"
          <jasonj_j@...> wrote:

          > Just got the new replacement tires for the av45, 46's through the mail
          > and will put them on by the weekend. Will let everyone know how they
          > are.

          I've been monitoring, but not posting for a while...

          Has anyone experienced rapid tire wear on the front tires only? I've
          gone through two sets of the stock Avons in 7000 miles. I still have
          the factory rear tire.

          I keep the pressure correct... the symptom I see is more wear at 45
          degrees on either side of the crown of the tire. It seems that would
          be from under-inflation, but I keep them at the spec pressure.

          Also my local dealer closed, so I'm SOL on servicing with factory
          techs unless I drive for a while.

          -- TomH
        • Jim Hargrave
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
            <<< Just got the new replacement tires for the av45, 46's through the mail
            and will put them on by the weekend. Will let everyone know how they
            are.>>>
            ******************************
            Cool, what kind of price? from where? did you get tubes too?
            What do you use to get your tires off the rim? Do you change them
            yourself, I am thinking
            of doing my own since it's cheaper. That's why all the questions.
            thanks, Jim
          • jasonj_j
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
              They have a really good price on motoxoutlet. With shipping still
              cheaper than most places online. I've only heard to have them put on
              by the shop because most people don't have the proper tools to replace,
              balance, align, etc. that a dealer would have. I think that's one of
              those things best left to them.

              > Cool, what kind of price? from where? did you get tubes too?
              > What do you use to get your tires off the rim? Do you change them
              > yourself, I am thinking
              > of doing my own since it's cheaper. That's why all the questions.
              > thanks, Jim

            • jasonj_j
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
                Anyone had trouble with the dealer replacing tires? Any
                recommendations in the Fort Worth, Texas area for tire replacement?

                Jason

                <jasonj_j@...> wrote:

                > Just got the new replacement tires for the av45, 46's through the
                mail
                > and will put them on by the weekend. Will let everyone know how they
                > are.
                >
                > Jason

              • Jim Hargrave
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 9, 2007
                  <<< Concur with Pete completely on the wear pattern with Avons, i.e.
                  middle of the rear and sides of the front.>>>
                  I get wear on my rear tire in the middle in a bad way. (99 TBS)
                  My front tire looks fine and my rear tire already needs replacing at
                  3,000 miles.
                  That's unacceptable....I should try something besides the Pirelli Dragon
                  GT's
                  I too, check the pressure consistently. I thought there was something
                  wrong with th bike!
                  jim-bo
                • Alec Gore
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 9, 2007
                    I think putting soft sports tyres on the Classic Triumphs is a
                    waste. The bikes are too heavy and torquey. They just get chewed
                    up too quickly. I was given a pair of MAXX super moto tyres and
                    put them on the Ascot TT for a laugh. The rear only lasted 1,800
                    miles! At the moment, I've got Pirelli Scorpion SYNCs on the
                    Ascot TT and they show little sign of wearing at all, but are
                    not quite as forgiving as the new Avon Storm 55/56s. These new
                    dual compound tyres - great for cornering, but still
                    hard-wearing in the middle are just the thing for our bikes.
                    Michelin Pilot Roads are said to be similarly good, but I've
                    experienced them on a test ride on the new Tiger.

                  • Todd Luchette
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 9, 2007
                      45K miles on my 98tbs. Avons, Metzler, whatever, new front and rear
                      every 8K miles.

                      Todd
                      '98 tbs

                      On Mar 9, 2007, at 3:08 PM, Jim Hargrave wrote:

                      "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired,
                      signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are
                      not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."
                      President Dwight D. Eisenhower
                      April 16, 1953

                    • Norm Bour
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 9, 2007
                        I've got almost 10,000 miles on my Bridgestone Battle Axes. Love 'em.

                        Alohanorm

                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 10, 2007
                          Funny you should ask. I took my 02 Daytona to my local dealer for a 12000 mile service a year or more ago. When I returned for the bike, the (new) rear tire was flat. ( I had just purchased tires elsewhere) Their service tech asked me what I wanted done so of course I said fix it. They had ridden it after the service and (we will never know, but I assumed they picked up a nail.) I paid >$300.00 for another new tire. Yes I know poop happens... They had had several brocken wooden pallets down the driveway from the store entrance for some time... There is a lesson here somewhere. Jim T.

                        • taylorrguk
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 11, 2007
                            --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, James Tennier
                            <tennier@...> wrote:

                            > Funny you should ask. I took my 02 Daytona to my local dealer for a
                            12000 mile service a year or more ago. When I returned for the bike,
                            the (new) rear tire was flat. ( I had just purchased tires elsewhere)
                            Their service tech asked me what I wanted done so of course I said fix
                            it. They had ridden it after the service and (we will never know, but
                            I assumed they picked up a nail.) I paid >$300.00 for another new
                            tire. Yes I know poop happens... They had had several brocken wooden
                            pallets down the driveway from the store entrance for some time...
                            There is a lesson here somewhere. Jim T.

                            There sure is - I'll bet that dealer love customers like you!

                            The problem is, he'll try at treat the rest of us in the same way. :-(

                            Richard T