Re: [T TBS R] Erratic Tacho - at a sustained 6000rpm

  • Pickwickian51@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2007
      This problem has been noticed by several Classic triple owners. I must have
      missed reading about a definite fix. On TriumphRat.net it was suggested
      that all the connection between the tacho and sending unit be cleaned and
      checked. I thought that I read in my Tiger Service Manual that the air gap on the
      ignition sensor could be to wide and cause this problem.

      I had two tachs replaced under warranty on my 98 TBS. They replace the
      complete instrument cluster. So that's three tachs that wiggle in the range
      mentioned. I'm to lazy to replace one of the instrument bulbs (right turn) and
      check the wiring on the tach at the same time. Maybe someday.

      BTW, the odo turned to 80k miles today (adjusted to about 90k with the
      replacements). I could hit 100k miles by the end of 07. IMHO Triumph
      discontinued the Classic triples because they were going to last to long but they forgot
      to figure out how to get royalties on the resale of used machines.

      00 Tiger
      02 Mini Cooper
      Oahu, Hawaii

    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2 6:52 AM
        - In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Pickwickian51@...
        wrote:

        > This problem has been noticed by several Classic triple owners. I
        must have
        > missed reading about a definite fix. On TriumphRat.net it was
        suggested
        > that all the connection between the tacho and sending unit be
        cleaned and
        > checked. I thought that I read in my Tiger Service Manual that the
        air gap on the
        > ignition sensor could be to wide and cause this problem.
        >
        > I had two tachs replaced under warranty on my 98 TBS. They
        replace the
        > complete instrument cluster. So that's three tachs that wiggle in
        the range
        > mentioned. I'm to lazy to replace one of the instrument bulbs
        (right turn) and
        > check the wiring on the tach at the same time. Maybe someday.
        >
        > BTW, the odo turned to 80k miles today (adjusted to about 90k with
        the
        > replacements). I could hit 100k miles by the end of 07. IMHO
        Triumph
        > discontinued the Classic triples because they were going to last to
        long but they forgot
        > to figure out how to get royalties on the resale of used machines.
        >

        > Gary
        > 98 Thunderbird Sport
        > 00 Tiger
        > 02 Mini Cooper
        > Oahu, Hawaii

        Gary, Lotsa miles...wow, I just did the 3 coil fix on my 98 TBS, 18k
        mi. It's good to know they last forever. Does yours show the age
        mechanically, as you ride?, i.e. compression, transmission shifting
        etc.....Jeff in Tampa
      • Pickwickian51@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2 7:56 AM
          Post on TriumphRat.net "got my tacho FIXED. cost me A$140. it needed a new
          IC on the PCB. just a tiny lttle thing but beats paying over A$500 for new
          one."

          So, if you find an instrument repair shop it appears the problem can be
          resolved. Another post recommended switching the number one coil with one of the
          other coils. Apparently a failing number one coil will cause erratic
          behavior as well. I still can't find that reference to the ignition pick-up sensor
          air gap.

          00 Tiger
          02 Mini Cooper
          85 Ron Cooper (bicycle)