Re: Dirty Jets?

  • Guy
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2007
      Happy New Year alll and a Cheerful Greetings ,

      I have read an article in a magazine about the 10% alcohol gas that
      is used to stretch the fuel suply saying that the alcohol absorbs
      water from the air and causes corosion of the jets if not ridden
      regularly.-I have used carb cleaners onmy bike and had to replace the
      fuel petcock twice because the gaskets deteriorated both times so
      bewarew of the fuel cleaners as well.-we can't do anything about the
      gas because it's federal stuff.

      --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Robert"
      <swamper650@...> wrote:

      > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, petermholmes
      > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > > If it will stay running, take it out and ride it. Keep opening
      the
      > > throttle to the point that it stops responding, then back off for
      > > while to give things a chance to get back to normal inside the
      engine.
      > > Repeat until happy with the throttle response. If you're lucky,
      > > it'll clear up within a few miles.
      > >
      > > Good luck!
      > >
      > Your issues are identical to the ones I have experienced on my ol
      > Suzuki GS. I bought the 850G new and will never part with it. Most
      of
      > my riding miles these days are on my Tiger and TBS. So to keep my GS
      > rideable , I use fuel system cleaner on a regular basis. All carb
      > issues have cleared up.

    • arieldunwright
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2007
        <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > If it will stay running, take it out and ride it.

        That's the best kind of problem . . . one for which the solution is
        riding.
        Kind of reminds me of one of the doctors in my hometown whose
        diagnosis for a variety of ills was "not enough sex".

        Lew
        '98 TBS
        '07 DR-Z400SM
      • axeman20022002
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2007
          I'd throw some STA-BIL in the tank if you're not using it much. But
          put some good fuel treatment in the tank and give it a hard ride
          first to clear the crud through. Then ride with some Stbil in the
          gas to make sure it stops the carbs gumming up.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2007
            > I'd throw some STA-BIL in the tank if you're not using it much.

            I do that before I put the bikes away for the Winter. Then, in the
            Spring, I aim a small space heater at the sump for about 15 minutes
            before I crank it over. That way they start right up with no fiddling
            around required.