Re: Dirty Jets?

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 28, 2006
      --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, petermholmes
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > If it will stay running, take it out and ride it. Keep opening the
      > throttle to the point that it stops responding, then back off for a
      > while to give things a chance to get back to normal inside the engine.
      > Repeat until happy with the throttle response. If you're lucky,
      > it'll clear up within a few miles.
      >
      > Good luck!

      Your issues are identical to the ones I have experienced on my ol
      Suzuki GS. I bought the 850G new and will never part with it. Most of
      my riding miles these days are on my Tiger and TBS. So to keep my GS
      rideable , I use fuel system cleaner on a regular basis. All carb
      issues have cleared up.
    • Guy
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2007
        Happy New Year alll and a Cheerful Greetings ,

        I have read an article in a magazine about the 10% alcohol gas that
        is used to stretch the fuel suply saying that the alcohol absorbs
        water from the air and causes corosion of the jets if not ridden
        regularly.-I have used carb cleaners onmy bike and had to replace the
        fuel petcock twice because the gaskets deteriorated both times so
        bewarew of the fuel cleaners as well.-we can't do anything about the
        gas because it's federal stuff.

        --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Robert"
        <swamper650@...> wrote:

        > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, petermholmes
        > <no_reply@> wrote:
        > >
        > > If it will stay running, take it out and ride it. Keep opening
        the
        > > throttle to the point that it stops responding, then back off for
        > > while to give things a chance to get back to normal inside the
        engine.
        > > Repeat until happy with the throttle response. If you're lucky,
        > > it'll clear up within a few miles.
        > >
        > > Good luck!
        > >
        > Your issues are identical to the ones I have experienced on my ol
        > Suzuki GS. I bought the 850G new and will never part with it. Most
        of
        > my riding miles these days are on my Tiger and TBS. So to keep my GS
        > rideable , I use fuel system cleaner on a regular basis. All carb
        > issues have cleared up.

      • arieldunwright
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2007
          <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > If it will stay running, take it out and ride it.

          That's the best kind of problem . . . one for which the solution is
          riding.
          Kind of reminds me of one of the doctors in my hometown whose
          diagnosis for a variety of ills was "not enough sex".

          Lew
          '98 TBS
          '07 DR-Z400SM
        • axeman20022002
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2007
            I'd throw some STA-BIL in the tank if you're not using it much. But
            put some good fuel treatment in the tank and give it a hard ride
            first to clear the crud through. Then ride with some Stbil in the
            gas to make sure it stops the carbs gumming up.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2007
              > I'd throw some STA-BIL in the tank if you're not using it much.

              I do that before I put the bikes away for the Winter. Then, in the
              Spring, I aim a small space heater at the sump for about 15 minutes
              before I crank it over. That way they start right up with no fiddling
              around required.