TBS Exhaust Loose Nuts

  • rich_boese
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2006
      I have standard exhaust cans (mufflers) on my '98 TBS. I have an
      offer of a pair of loud sport type exhausts but a couple of the
      captive nuts that are welded to the inside the cans have come loose.

      Has anyone had a loose nut problem when takeing apart their exhaust
      system and how did you fix it?

      PS - I'm being serious here - it's not just an excuse for some locker
      room humour!
    • Guy
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2006
        I too had that same problem on both the 'off road' and the stock pipes.
        I live in NYC area so the cratered,lumpy, bumpy streets just shook them
        loose.
        A friend offered to weld a tab with the bolts in place so all i had top
        do was use nuts to hold in place, but the rust woud've eaten thru the
        rest of the pipe anyway.
        besides the way the pipe ripped open it wouldn't look right.
        I went to JCWhitneys and bought a 3 sets from them for lwss than $200.
        now i can change my look and sound whenever i want
        and 1 set weighs less than just 1 stock muffler
        y2kTBSGuy

        --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "rich_boese"
        <rich_boese@...> wrote:

        > I have standard exhaust cans (mufflers) on my '98 TBS. I have an
        > offer of a pair of loud sport type exhausts but a couple of the
        > captive nuts that are welded to the inside the cans have come loose.
        >
        > Has anyone had a loose nut problem when takeing apart their exhaust
        > system and how did you fix it?
        >
        > PS - I'm being serious here - it's not just an excuse for some locker
        > room humour!

      • jcatbert45
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 8, 2006
          Hey .... I see nothing humerous about loose nuts. I have one too. As
          you've seen, it's a fairly common problem. So now whnever I remove my
          baffles, I just take it off with the bracket attached and don't fool
          with the nuts.