How do I remove the alternator

  • jasonj_j
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6, 2006
      Anyone remove the alternator. If so, what are the steps. I bought
      the Haynes manual but still have some questions. I don't know if the
      book is telling you to remove the wires just from the horn or if they
      need to be disconnected somewhere else as well. I don't want to
      contact any electrical charge so I'd like to be safe about it. I did
      remove the cover but that is all. Is the impeller shown on the
      diagram on this message board facing the interior of the motor? If
      so, do I need to remove the whole alternator to get to the loose bolt
      that causes the rattle. I'm sure someone here has easy step by step
      instructions to remove the alternator. Thanks.

      Jason
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 6, 2006
        It's good practice when working on electrical stuff to disconnect the
        battery and that will avoid and potential problems cause by accidental
        things.

        IIRC...

        The horn needs to be removed because it is in the way to remove the
        alternator.

        There is a rather big plugin type connector that connects the alternator to
        the main wiring harness. That needs to be disconnected.

        There are some Torx bolts that hold the alternator to the engine case.
        You'll need a ratchet and an extension to get to those. And they were very
        tight. Also those type torx bolts are easy to strip the heads out, so make
        sure you have the torx bit seated securely in the bolt head before you
        apply the mean muscle needed to break them loose.

        Yes you need to remove the alternator to get to the loose/broken bolt.
        Hopefully yours is only loose.

        There is an O ring that seals oil. Be careful when putting that back in,
        it's easy to dammage that oring when putting the alternator back into place.

        So YMMV and all the usual caveats apply.

        Good luck and let us know how it goes. It's not that bad and if you have
        to remove it a second time it will only take about 10 minutes.

        Cheers, Denny

        --On November 7, 2006 5:27:11 AM +0000 jasonj_j <jasonj_j@...> wrote:

        > Anyone remove the alternator. If so, what are the steps. I bought
        > the Haynes manual but still have some questions. I don't know if the
        > book is telling you to remove the wires just from the horn or if they
        > need to be disconnected somewhere else as well. I don't want to
        > contact any electrical charge so I'd like to be safe about it. I did
        > remove the cover but that is all. Is the impeller shown on the
        > diagram on this message board facing the interior of the motor? If
        > so, do I need to remove the whole alternator to get to the loose bolt
        > that causes the rattle. I'm sure someone here has easy step by step
        > instructions to remove the alternator. Thanks.
        >
        > Jason

      • jasonj_j
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 6, 2006
          > Thanks for the quick response. Can you tell me about what area does
          the big wiring harness connect. I can't see anywhere the wiring leads
          to. Thanks.

          Jason

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 6, 2006
            The main wiring harness is fastened to the central spine frame. there is a
            short bit if wires hanging from there and the connector is there. just
            follow the wire that is connected to the alternator and you'll find the
            connector.

            O you might have to remove side cover or some other things to find the
            connector. Maybe even gas tank. I honestly don't remember exactly where
            that connector was, except it is connected to the wire coming from the
            alternator.

            The ground cable that is connected to the battery is also connected to one
            of the alternator mounting bolts

          • pickwickian51@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 6, 2006
              Just a hint, not necessary, but I found that removing the clutch slave and
              holding it back with a bungie clears the space needed to put the Torx tool
              onto that lower left Torx bolt holding the alternator in place. Doing this
              allows a better fit between the tool and bolt. Helps in reassembly as well.

              To prevent damage to that large o-ring lube the o-ring AND the inside of the
              sealing surface on the engine case. I use the Triumph Mobile 1.

              I've found that having the Haynes and Triumph service manual has been the
              best for me.

              00 Tiger
              02 Mini Cooper
              Oahu, Hawaii