Re: [T TBS R] Re: Which oil to use???

  • Mo
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 30, 2006
      Yes...a TBS is a wet clutch, and 15-50 is thicker then 10-40. (Mobil's version of MX 4T is the higher viscosity (thicker) in Europe. Generally, thicker oil is better in warmer climates, thinner better in cooler. But with motorcycles, the ability for an oil to flow at 0 degrees F isnt that important as most of us sane riders dont go out then. Mobil also makes a V-twin oil, which has a higher flash point (and maybe higher viscosoty(thicker), but an air cooled Vtwin runs much hotter then our bikes, so the 10-40 is perfect. (as long as you dont use a Fram oil filter).

      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 2, 2006
        I use Amsoil myself. I swear by it. Please note: No
        matter which synthetic oil you use make sure it is for
        motorcycles. Some automotive synthetics do not work
        well with the wet clutch. Believe it or not they are
        too slipery.

        Jim B
        95 T-bird
        74 Tiger
        04 Speedmaster

        --- Bill Small <triumphsporttbird@...> wrote:

        > Does it really matter what synthetic you use? I
        > have used Amsoil in everything I've owned for the
        > last 28 years. I use all of their oils (fork oil
        > also) grease and filters. From my snowmobiles,
        > chainsaws, cars, trucks, and my TBS. Their
        > products just plain work. Remember, "First In
        > Synthetics". This is not a paid advertisement and I
        > am not a dealer. : < )
        >
        > jasonj_j <jasonj_j@...> wrote:
        > So... I'm not someone who
        > understands oils. Is a 15-50 a thicker oil
        > than a 10-40? If so, is it better for a motorcycle
        > to have thicker or
        > thinner oil? Also, is the Thunderbird Sport
        > considered a "wet clutch"
        > or whatever you call it? Thanks for all the info.
        >
        > Jason
        >
        > ---"After a lot of investigation, I used Mobil 1
        > MX4T racing oil, as
        > per Triumph. BUT, where the Triumph branded oil is
        > 15-50, the Mobil
        > branded oil is 10-40 (or 15-40), which seems to be
        > just fine."---

        > removed]

      • Mo
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 2, 2006
          Thats very true!!!

          --- Bill Small <triumphsporttbird@ yahoo.com> wrote:

          > Does it really matter what synthetic you use? I

          > have used Amsoil in everything I've owned for the

          > last 28 years. I use all of their oils (fork oil

          > also) grease and filters. From my snowmobiles,

          > chainsaws, cars, trucks, and my TBS. Their

          > products just plain work. Remember, "First In

          > Synthetics". This is not a paid advertisement and I

          > am not a dealer. : < )

          > jasonj_j <jasonj_j@yahoo. com> wrote:

          > So... I'm not someone who

          > understands oils. Is a 15-50 a thicker oil

          > than a 10-40? If so, is it better for a motorcycle

          > to have thicker or

          > thinner oil? Also, is the Thunderbird Sport

          > considered a "wet clutch"

          > or whatever you call it? Thanks for all the info.

          > Jason

          > ---"After a lot of investigation, I used Mobil 1

          > MX4T racing oil, as

          > per Triumph. BUT, where the Triumph branded oil is

          > 15-50, the Mobil

          > branded oil is 10-40 (or 15-40), which seems to be

          > just fine."---

          > removed]

          <!--

          #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
          #ygrp-text{
          font-family:Georgia;
          }
          #ygrp-text p{
          margin:0 0 1em 0;
          }
          #ygrp-tpmsgs{
          font-family:Arial;
          clear:both;
          }
          #ygrp-vitnav{
          padding-top:10px;
          font-family:Verdana;
          font-size:77%;
          margin:0;
          }
          #ygrp-vitnav a{
          padding:0 1px;
          }
          #ygrp-actbar{
          clear:both;
          margin:25px 0;
          white-space:nowrap;
          color:#666;
          text-align:right;
          }
          #ygrp-actbar .left{
          float:left;
          white-space:nowrap;
          }
          .bld{font-weight:bold;}
          #ygrp-grft{
          font-family:Verdana;
          font-size:77%;
          padding:15px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-ft{
          font-family:verdana;
          font-size:77%;
          border-top:1px solid #666;
          padding:5px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
          padding-bottom:10px;
          }

          #ygrp-vital{
          background-color:#e0ecee;
          margin-bottom:20px;
          padding:2px 0 8px 8px;
          }
          #ygrp-vital #vithd{
          font-size:77%;
          font-family:Verdana;
          font-weight:bold;
          color:#333;
          text-transform:uppercase;
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul{
          padding:0;
          margin:2px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul li{
          list-style-type:none;
          clear:both;
          border:1px solid #e0ecee;
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
          font-weight:bold;
          color:#ff7900;
          float:right;
          width:2em;
          text-align:right;
          padding-right:.5em;
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
          font-weight:bold;
          }
          #ygrp-vital a {
          text-decoration:none;
          }

          #ygrp-vital a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;
          }

          #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
          color:#999;
          font-size:77%;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
          padding:6px 13px;
          background-color:#e0ecee;
          margin-bottom:20px;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
          padding:0 0 0 8px;
          margin:0;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
          list-style-type:square;
          padding:6px 0;
          font-size:77%;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
          text-decoration:none;
          font-size:130%;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
          background-color:#eee;
          margin-bottom:20px;
          padding:0 8px;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
          padding:8px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
          font-family:Arial;
          font-weight:bold;
          color:#628c2a;
          font-size:100%;
          line-height:122%;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
          text-decoration:none;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
          margin:0;
          }
          o {font-size:0;}
          .MsoNormal {
          margin:0 0 0 0;
          }
          #ygrp-text tt{
          font-size:120%;
          }
          blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
          .replbq {margin:4;}
          -->

        • taylorrguk
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 3, 2006
            --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, jim Bousman
            <jimbousman@...> wrote:

            > I use Amsoil myself. I swear by it. Please note: No
            > matter which synthetic oil you use make sure it is for
            > motorcycles. Some automotive synthetics do not work
            > well with the wet clutch. Believe it or not they are
            > too slipery.

            Sorry to disappoint fellas, but I've been using fully synth car oil in
            my 1200 Trophy for about 3 years/20,000 miles. This includes touring
            to the Austrian Alps and back 2-up (twice) and camping tours of
            Scotland (twice).
            Incidences of clutch slip? NONE!

            The oils concerned are Vauxhall 5W40 API SJ, and Halfords 5W40 API SL.
            Both are less than half the price of Mobil 4T.
            The only reason these aren't in my TBS is I haven't done enough miles
            for an oil change yet, but I'm sure if they can cope with the Trophy
            power and torque they'll be OK in the TBS?
            You pay your money and take your choice!

            Richard T.
          • Alec Gore
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 3, 2006
              Using Putoline fully synthetic for the last few changes myself.
              Not as brave as Richard to try car oil, but am pretty convinced
              that regular 30+ mile runs where the engine gets properly warmed
              up keep the oil in good condition. It's the short runs that
              allow condensation in the engine that degrade the oil.

              Regards

              Alec
            • KEITH REGELIN
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 4, 2006
                Ouch! I am using a Fram filter w/ my Amsoil 10-40 on my 98 TBS. Mo, am I in trouble? Keith

                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 4, 2006
                  It sure sounds like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[...]

                  #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px; font-family: arial,helvetica, clean,sans- serif;}

                  #ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit; font:100% ;}

                  #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial,helvetica, clean,sans- serif;}

                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 4, 2006
                    What oil filter should I be using?? Keith

                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 4, 2006
                      I tried the Fram once. The Fram's large O-Ring is too big and I had to reuse the old one.

                      I use Triumph. It's a nice OEM filter that comes with both O rings. I pick them up when I pick up the crush washer for the drain plug, which you want to replace each time. If you don't you're likely to strip the threads.

                    • Mo
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 4, 2006
                        The top rated filter in most tests is the Purolator PURE One. Im not sure they make a TBS sized one (my bike is a sprint). K&N also makes some pretty good stuff. Heres a link to oil filter tests:
                        http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html

                        beware of all the AMSoil hype on the net. Those people are almost a cult.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 5, 2006
                          Peter,

                          for some reason, yahoo always treats your emails as spam, but none others in hte group..Anyone else have this problem? You think its a judgement call on what they think of your your posts?<smile>

                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 5, 2006
                            > You think its a judgement call on what they think of
                            > your your posts?<smile>

                            LOL no comment.