RE: [T TBS R] Coolant Leak when Cold

  • Pete Twissell
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2006
      I have not had my TBS head off, but I would guess that the head gasket
      must create three areas of seal. One between the water jacket and the
      combustion chambers, one between the water jacket and oilways and the
      other between the water jacket and the outside world. I'd start by
      lifting the cambox and checking all the head studs are properly torqued.
      As the engine warms, the alloy parts expand more than the steel bolts
      holding them together, so the joints become tighter, hence your leak
      stops.

      Pete.

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 28, 2006
        There have been some issues with the head gasket on some of the other T3
        base motors but it's been a long time since I've read a post on one and I don't
        recall reading one involving a TBS. The post I found in the Hinckley Triumph
        Digest Archives, the original board for Hinckley built machines, mentions
        that the work required is involved. If you are doing the work yourself the
        Triumph Service manual and Haynes manual will be of assistance. According to
        the author if you remove the engine head you will have to re-seal the cylinder
        liners. Goto _http://www.magpie.com/digests.html_
        (http://www.magpie.com/digests.html) and follow the old archive link.

        00 Tiger
        02 Mini Cooper