RE: [T TBS R] POOR WET RUNNING.

  • Pete Twissell
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 13 2:58 AM
      Hoppy,

      1) There have been several reports of coils breaking down, so I would expect water to make the condition worse. First course of action would be to wax all connections to the coils to protect against water.

      2) Disconnecting the rear part of the airbox does reduce restriction. My '97 TBS café racer has only the filter box and runs fine on the original jets with TOR pipes. More significant derestriction can be achieved by creating an additional hole in the rear of the right side of the filter box (to match the original hose entry hole in the left side). This will require larger main jets.

      3) American company D&D manufacture a 3 into 3 system. I have seen reports of individuals ordering them from the states, so I assume there is no official importer. I have also read that the D&D system is very loud. You might be just as well buying 3 short megas from a British bike shop, and having a 2 into 3 adaptor fabricated. You will almost certainly have to rejet, but don't be put off by that, it's not expensive (about £4 per jet) and it doesn't hurt.

      Pete.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 13 3:54 AM
        --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Pete
        Twissell" <PTwissell@...> wrote:

        Thanks Pete,
        I will wax all the conections to the coil, I will also try the air
        intake as suggested.
        What size main jet are you running with?
        The hole in the filter box mod, does it make a big difference in
        performance?
        Would using a 3rd original exhaust pipe with a modified 2 into 3
        work?
        Do you know of any one who has done this.

        Thanks for the advice.
        Hoppy

      • pickwickian51@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 13 8:05 AM
          If you sort out poor running while wet please let us know. I've been able
          to run about 2 weeks in steady rains (our last one was 43 days). I think mine
          only drops one cylinder. An owner of a 2004 here mentioned his did the
          same. I've used dielectric grease, sold at our Honda shop, on the both ends of
          the plug wires. The wires from the loom had a coating from new.

          Our other thought is that the density of air is such that it effects the
          air/fuel ratio. I know that those heavy humid days effects my breathing which
          improves with a change of the tradewinds.

          If you can put together a 3/3 system close to home I recommend full
          stainless.

          00 Tiger
          02 Mini Cooper
          Oahu, Hawaii