Re: [T TBS R] NGK Iridium IX spark plugs in my 1998 TBS

  • Mel Vance
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 16 8:51 AM
      Wow, This made me run out and pull my iridiums. I have about 6000 on mine and they still look fine. I know I am running a tad rich after installing a jet kit, and I'm just tossing this out there, but could you be a little lean? Just guessing.

      ecrfocusguy <ecrfocusguy@...> wrote: Last year, in search of the elusive "performance edge", I replaced my
      stock spark plugs (NGK DPR8EA-9) with new NGK DPR8EIX-9 Iridium plugs.
      Everything worked great for the first 3000 miles. However, this
      year, after a few hundred miles of riding, I noticed that the bike was
      starting to skip under load. I let it go for a while until the
      problem became intolerable. After everything I read, I assumed I had
      a weak coil, so I ordered a used spare. In the meantime, I thought I
      would check the plugs.

      When I pulled the plugs, I must admit to being shocked. The tiny
      electrodes had worn, and the spark gap increased to as much as .050
      from .032 inches. I bought three new DPR8EA-9s, gapped them, torqued
      them in, and went for a ride. I rode for two hours, and encountered
      no missed beats. I concluded that the plugs were at fault. Since my
      last set of stock plugs lasted 6000 miles (and were still going
      strong), this speaks poorly of the NGK Iridium plugs. It's such a
      pain to change the plugs (especially the middle one). I was hoping to
      go 10,000 miles on the Iridiums. Needless to say, I recommend that
      TBS owners stay with the stock plugs.