Re: [T TBS R] Starting after Tune Up...no go...

  • pickwickian51@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 14, 2006
      When my TBS won't start due to flooding I was instructed to open the
      throttle fully and hit the starter again. It's always worked for me.

      Wish I could help out more on the cold storage issues.

      00 Tiger
      02 Mini Cooper
      Oahu, Hawaii

    • KEITH REGELIN
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 15, 2006
        Gary,
        What would cause your TBS to flood? I always thought that you needed an accelerator pump on the carb to flood the engine. Then, as you said, you open the throttle while cranking the starter. As TBS carbs have none, how can you flood it??!?

        Keith
        98 Thunderbird Sport
        68 Royal Enfield Interceptor

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 17, 2006
          Good question and I don't have an answer. It's been a mystery for some
          time. I've noticed on my bike that if the petcock is left in the open position
          when the bike is not running it will, more often than not, fail to start, as
          if it were flooded. It may be flooded, it might not. IIRC I could smell
          fuel. I ride with two other TBS owners (2004) and they don't have this issue and
          can leave their petcocks in the on position for days.

          I've taken the petcock apart and cleaned it up. This stopped the fuel from
          leaking from the selection lever but has never stopped the condition
          described above. Additionally, I can't use the choke when starting the bike. This
          started after different jets were installed and *some* adjustments made when I
          had the aftermarket off-roads silencers on the bike. At the next air box
          service interval I installed a K&N filter. Later I installed a Staintune
          3-4-2-1 sport exhaust system with no other changes. The bike always runs fine, it
          just that leaving the petcock open would result in hard starting.

          00 Tiger
          02 Mini Cooper
          Oahu, Hawaii

        • Richard Fenner
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 17, 2006
            Hi Gary,

            The replacement 98 I just bought also has K&Ns (see pic attached) and the
            first owner warned me not to try and use the choke when starting. He has had
            it set up slightly rich (135 mains with a 140 on the middle carb) but the
            dyno sheet says 90 at the back wheel so really looking forward to riding it
            for the first time this w/e!

            20 more horsepower in the same bike - eeeeHAH!

            Cheers, from a back-on-the-road-again

            Richard.

            > Good question and I don't have an answer. It's been a mystery for some
            > time. I've noticed on my bike that if the petcock is left in the open
            > position
            > when the bike is not running it will, more often than not, fail to start,
            > as
            > if it were flooded. It may be flooded, it might not. IIRC I could smell
            > fuel. I ride with two other TBS owners (2004) and they don't have this
            > issue and
            > can leave their petcocks in the on position for days.
            >
            > I've taken the petcock apart and cleaned it up. This stopped the fuel
            > from
            > leaking from the selection lever but has never stopped the condition
            > described above. Additionally, I can't use the choke when starting the
            > bike. This
            > started after different jets were installed and *some* adjustments made
            > when I
            > had the aftermarket off-roads silencers on the bike. At the next air box
            > service interval I installed a K&N filter. Later I installed a Staintune
            > 3-4-2-1 sport exhaust system with no other changes. The bike always runs
            > fine, it
            > just that leaving the petcock open would result in hard starting.
            >
            > Gary
            > 98 Thunderbird Sport
            > 00 Tiger
            > 02 Mini Cooper
            > Oahu, Hawaii

          • Pete Twissell
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 17, 2006
              Hi Richard,

              90+ HP in the TBS is plenty of fun. Watch for the back end lighting up out of slow corners, the bike is weighted to the front (more so with clip-ons!) and will slip the rear if you're a bit quick on the power. This will cause rapid colour change in the underwear department, but the bike is well behaved and will quickly come back into line.

              Enjoy.

              Pete.
              97 TBS café racer.

              > Good question and I don't have an answer. It's been a mystery for some
              > time. I've noticed on my bike that if the petcock is left in the open
              > position
              > when the bike is not running it will, more often than not, fail to start,
              > as
              > if it were flooded. It may be flooded, it might not. IIRC I could smell
              > fuel. I ride with two other TBS owners (2004) and they don't have this
              > issue and
              > can leave their petcocks in the on position for days.
              >
              > I've taken the petcock apart and cleaned it up. This stopped the fuel
              > from
              > leaking from the selection lever but has never stopped the condition
              > described above. Additionally, I can't use the choke when starting the
              > bike. This
              > started after different jets were installed and *some* adjustments made
              > when I
              > had the aftermarket off-roads silencers on the bike. At the next air box
              > service interval I installed a K&N filter. Later I installed a Staintune
              > 3-4-2-1 sport exhaust system with no other changes. The bike always runs
              > fine, it
              > just that leaving the petcock open would result in hard starting.
              >
              > Gary
              > 98 Thunderbird Sport
              > 00 Tiger
              > 02 Mini Cooper
              > Oahu, Hawaii

            • Richard Fenner
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 17, 2006
                Hi Pete,

                Thanks for the heads-up! This one has drag bars and I
                weigh......ahem.....over 260 at present (due to fat gained while
                recuperating from the accident, I tell everyone!), so I need all the help I
                can get! I also have some racing experience in my long distant past, so
                hopefully I'll stay on top of it.....

                What tyres are you using on yours? This guy has put a BT010 60 profile on
                the front "to make it steer quicker" with a BT020 on the back, but I never
                had any trouble keeping up with Daytonas in the twisties on my old one?

                It has Super III pistons, 900 Daytona CDI, the K&N's and off-road pipes. It
                only has 10,000 kms on this set-up and only 24K overall. Hope I don't run
                into the dreaded coil problem again. At least I'll know what to look for
                this time!

                Was also thinking of bobbing the rear fender and looking for a 60s style
                cafe racer seat for it. There was a US company mentioned in some mag a few
                years back that did a great seat and Dunstall type exhausts for the standard
                Hinckley T-Bird, but can't find the issue. Anyone got any tips/ideas?

                Cheers, all, and stay safe out there!

                Richard.
                Vancouver, Canada, eh!

                > Good question and I don't have an answer. It's been a mystery for some
                > time. I've noticed on my bike that if the petcock is left in the open
                > position
                > when the bike is not running it will, more often than not, fail to start,
                > as
                > if it were flooded. It may be flooded, it might not. IIRC I could smell
                > fuel. I ride with two other TBS owners (2004) and they don't have this
                > issue and
                > can leave their petcocks in the on position for days.
                >
                > I've taken the petcock apart and cleaned it up. This stopped the fuel
                > from
                > leaking from the selection lever but has never stopped the condition
                > described above. Additionally, I can't use the choke when starting the
                > bike. This
                > started after different jets were installed and *some* adjustments made
                > when I
                > had the aftermarket off-roads silencers on the bike. At the next air box
                > service interval I installed a K&N filter. Later I installed a Staintune
                > 3-4-2-1 sport exhaust system with no other changes. The bike always runs
                > fine, it
                > just that leaving the petcock open would result in hard starting.
                >
                > Gary
                > 98 Thunderbird Sport
                > 00 Tiger
                > 02 Mini Cooper
                > Oahu, Hawaii

              • Pete Twissell
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 17, 2006
                  Hi Richard,

                  I am running Avons front and rear. I assume the lower profile front tyre is supposed to 'make it steer quicker' because it lowers the front end and alters the rake angle by some miniscule quantity.
                  My TBS has TOR pipes, modified airbox, T3 cams and was rejetted by the previous owner (who was a design engineer at Triumph). I have a shortened rear subframe, one-off single seat/tailpiece, no side panels, no excess brackets etc.

                  Pete.

                  > Good question and I don't have an answer. It's been a mystery for some
                  > time. I've noticed on my bike that if the petcock is left in the open
                  > position
                  > when the bike is not running it will, more often than not, fail to start,
                  > as
                  > if it were flooded. It may be flooded, it might not. IIRC I could smell
                  > fuel. I ride with two other TBS owners (2004) and they don't have this
                  > issue and
                  > can leave their petcocks in the on position for days.
                  >
                  > I've taken the petcock apart and cleaned it up. This stopped the fuel
                  > from
                  > leaking from the selection lever but has never stopped the condition
                  > described above. Additionally, I can't use the choke when starting the
                  > bike. This
                  > started after different jets were installed and *some* adjustments made
                  > when I
                  > had the aftermarket off-roads silencers on the bike. At the next air box
                  > service interval I installed a K&N filter. Later I installed a Staintune
                  > 3-4-2-1 sport exhaust system with no other changes. The bike always runs
                  > fine, it
                  > just that leaving the petcock open would result in hard starting.
                  >
                  > Gary
                  > 98 Thunderbird Sport
                  > 00 Tiger
                  > 02 Mini Cooper
                  > Oahu, Hawaii

                • Pete Twissell
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 17, 2006
                    Contact me off group and I'll send a picture (I tried to attach to the last mail - doesn't work!)

                    I am running Avons front and rear. I assume the lower profile front tyre is supposed to 'make it steer quicker' because it lowers the front end and alters the rake angle by some miniscule quantity.
                    My TBS has TOR pipes, modified airbox, T3 cams and was rejetted by the previous owner (who was a design engineer at Triumph). I have a shortened rear subframe, one-off single seat/tailpiece, no side panels, no excess brackets etc.

                    Pete.

                    > Good question and I don't have an answer. It's been a mystery for
                    > some time. I've noticed on my bike that if the petcock is left in the
                    > open position when the bike is not running it will, more often than
                    > not, fail to start, as if it were flooded. It may be flooded, it
                    > might not. IIRC I could smell fuel. I ride with two other TBS
                    > owners (2004) and they don't have this issue and can leave their
                    > petcocks in the on position for days.
                    >
                    > I've taken the petcock apart and cleaned it up. This stopped the fuel
                    > from leaking from the selection lever but has never stopped the
                    > condition described above. Additionally, I can't use the choke when
                    > starting the bike. This started after different jets were installed
                    > and *some* adjustments made when I had the aftermarket off-roads
                    > silencers on the bike. At the next air box service interval I
                    > installed a K&N filter. Later I installed a Staintune
                    > 3-4-2-1 sport exhaust system with no other changes. The bike always
                    > runs fine, it just that leaving the petcock open would result in hard
                    > starting.
                    >
                    > Gary
                    > 98 Thunderbird Sport
                    > 00 Tiger
                    > 02 Mini Cooper
                    > Oahu, Hawaii

                  • Richard Fenner
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 17, 2006
                      Pete,

                      Was it you who posted piccies of that tasty black TBS cafe racer a while
                      back? If so, what was the URL again please? Will contact you off group next
                      week to ask for tips.....;>)

                      Cheers,

                      Richard.

                      > Good question and I don't have an answer. It's been a mystery for some
                      > time. I've noticed on my bike that if the petcock is left in the open
                      > position
                      > when the bike is not running it will, more often than not, fail to start,
                      > as
                      > if it were flooded. It may be flooded, it might not. IIRC I could smell
                      > fuel. I ride with two other TBS owners (2004) and they don't have this
                      > issue and
                      > can leave their petcocks in the on position for days.
                      >
                      > I've taken the petcock apart and cleaned it up. This stopped the fuel
                      > from
                      > leaking from the selection lever but has never stopped the condition
                      > described above. Additionally, I can't use the choke when starting the
                      > bike. This
                      > started after different jets were installed and *some* adjustments made
                      > when I
                      > had the aftermarket off-roads silencers on the bike. At the next air box
                      > service interval I installed a K&N filter. Later I installed a Staintune
                      > 3-4-2-1 sport exhaust system with no other changes. The bike always runs
                      > fine, it
                      > just that leaving the petcock open would result in hard starting.
                      >
                      > Gary
                      > 98 Thunderbird Sport
                      > 00 Tiger
                      > 02 Mini Cooper
                      > Oahu, Hawaii

                    • Alec Gore
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 17, 2006
                        That's a great combination used by many sport-touring bikes. The
                        front BT010 is just that bit stickier than the rear BT020, ideal
                        for cornering. And you should always be able to replace a pair
                        of tyres together with this combo.

                        Regards

                        Alec

                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 17, 2006
                          Thanks, Alec.

                          Richard.
                          aka King Bee by my RAT pack because of the yellow/black bike and the
                          matching gear.......not to mention the shape.......;>)

                          > That's a great combination used by many sport-touring bikes. The
                          > front BT010 is just that bit stickier than the rear BT020, ideal
                          > for cornering. And you should always be able to replace a pair
                          > of tyres together with this combo.
                          >
                          > Regards
                          >
                          > Alec
                          >
                          >> What tyres are you using on yours? This guy has put a BT010
                          >> 60 profile on the front "to make it steer quicker" with a
                          >> BT020 on the back, but I never had any trouble keeping up
                          >> with Daytonas in the twisties on my old one?
                          >>

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Pete Twissell
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 20, 2006
                            Richard,

                            My TBS is yellow/black. Photos are in the group photos section - Pete's 97 TBS.