Questions

  • Richard Fenner
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2006
      Hi guys,

      I am looking at a '98 TBS at present and have some questions?

      * Was the engine offset to the right on this bike?

      * If so, how much when measuring from the bottom seam of the tank (rt
      side, under the bulge, sitting on the bike) to the outer edge of the cam
      cover?

      * My last 98 TBS <sob> never had the OEM airbox and chrome trims off so I
      never noticed any engine displacement in the 2.5 years I had the bike -
      which for me is very unusual. I notice EVERYTHING. This bike has K&Ns so the
      rear of the motor is much more exposed. Does that make this visible where
      the standard airbox hides it?

      * Were any of these bikes produced with a "Triumph" stamped into the
      clutch cover? If not, where might this cover have come from? (My last 98 TBS
      didn't have this).

      Any help would be gratefully appreciated. The pictures I do have are
      attached and safe to open.

      Thanks in advance,

      Richard.

    • Robert
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2006
        Howdy Richard,
        My 99 T-Bird Sport has a blank clutch cover. The distance from the
        seam on the tank to the outer edge of the right rear cam cover is approx
        . 3" . Hope this info is some help.
        --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Fenner"
        <rfenner@...> wrote:

        > Hi guys,
        >
        > I am looking at a '98 TBS at present and have some questions?
        >
        > * Was the engine offset to the right on this bike?
        >
        > * If so, how much when measuring from the bottom seam of the tank
        (rt
        > side, under the bulge, sitting on the bike) to the outer edge of the
        cam
        > cover?
        >
        > * My last 98 TBS <sob> never had the OEM airbox and chrome trims
        off so I
        > never noticed any engine displacement in the 2.5 years I had the bike
        -
        > which for me is very unusual. I notice EVERYTHING. This bike has K&Ns
        so the
        > rear of the motor is much more exposed. Does that make this visible
        where
        > the standard airbox hides it?
        >
        > * Were any of these bikes produced with a "Triumph" stamped into
        the
        > clutch cover? If not, where might this cover have come from? (My last
        98 TBS
        > didn't have this).
        >
        > Any help would be gratefully appreciated. The pictures I do have are
        > attached and safe to open.
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Richard.

      • taylorrguk
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 5, 2006
          <rfenner@...> wrote:
          > * Was the engine offset to the right on this bike?

          No! - your middle cylinder is dead on centreline of the frame, which
          makes it a real tw*t of a job to get the middle plug out! The engine
          might 'look' offset because the chain drive for the camshafts is at
          the right side.

          > * Were any of these bikes produced with a "Triumph" stamped into the
          > clutch cover? If not, where might this cover have come from? (My
          last 98 TBS
          > didn't have this).

          My '99 TBS has a plain black clutch cover. (My '97 Trophy has
          'Triumph' embossed on the grey clutch cover. Not sure about black
          engined Trophys - but I'll be seeing one next weekend so will check)

          Richard T.