RE: The 2006 Triumph Thunderbird Ride to Daytona

  • Scot Dail
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2006
      O.K., the consensus seems to be that we will be staying the the Thunderbird in Walterboro on Wednesday, March 8th.

      Thunderbird Inn
      (843) 538-2503
      1142 Sniders Hwy (63)
      Walterboro, SC 29488

      Let's meet there mid afternoon. We'll then all have dinner at 6:00 - at the Cracker Barrel just across the highway. The original Thunderbird sign still sits outside the Cracker Barrel, and we'll get a group shot there before dinner.

      Scot Dail
      Charlotte RAT
      http://www.queensrats.cjb.net

      Hey folks - sorry for the delay in replying on the Hinckley Classics Daytona ride we have been planning! I have been wrestling with work, and the possibility that this would not work out AT ALL for me. My job has me going to India for two weeks, and it looked like I might not get back in time... anyway, that is all settled now... I can make it!

      So, now for an update - Last we left things, I was trying to find the "correct" T-Bird Inn where Edward Turner stayed in SC and named this bike. No confirmations yet - The Thunderbird was a chain - that is all I know at this time. There are 4 Thunderbirds still today in the Savannah area alone!! Still trying to get a list of known T-Bird Inns in SC from the SC Chamber of Commerce and the SC AAA. The research continues, but don't bet on it being done in time for this trip.

      I suggest that we plan on gathering Wednesday at one of the SC locales still in existance... the former T-Bird Inn in Walterboro is nice, and the current T-Bird Inn in Florence is also a great place. Anyone care to vote? There is a sign in Walterboro where we can all get a picture made, and Florence still has a big honking T-Bird on the sign.

      Maybe we can just make this part of a regular exursion to Daytona, until we find the right one!!! If we get it by 2009, it will be the 60th anniversary...

      As for lodging in Daytona, I already had mine set through our RAT pack. There is plenty of lodging in St Augustine, and the place we are staying in Palm Coast is very reasonable if you get 5 or 6 folks into one of the 3 bedroom condo units. Here are the plans we have:

      Thursday - US17 though SC and GA into FLA, where we pick up the A1A into St. Augustine. There, we meet RAT for the regular Kings Head Pub gathering at 6:00 p.m. After the party, go to our rooms at the Palm Coast Resort (http://www.oceanhammock.com/).

      Friday - ride to Deland for the vintage bike show and auction, hit some of the perimeter bars like the Cabbage Patch on the way back.

      Saturday - See the Daytona 200 races, then go the the annual Triumph Saturday night gathering in South Daytona at the Sly Fox Pub Saturday night at 6:00 p.m..

      Sunday - ride home!

      Who is still in? We can arrange a place to stick trailers for the Yankees in the group.