Re: pipe it up

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 10, 2005
      > Will I just stick a 3/4" hole saw bit on a 12"
      > extension straight down the pipe and start
      > drilling until it goes through the baffle?

      Take the muffler off the bike first but, other than that, yep, that's
      pretty much it. Hold it down with something that won't scratch it so
      it doesn't get away from you. I don't remember if my mechanic went in
      from the engine side or the exhaust side, but I doubt that it matters
      (assuming, of course, that the 3/4" hole saw will fit through the outlet).
    • midliferider
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 11, 2005
        Mr Holmes is in deed correct. Peter sir I know you have posted
        the receipe on drilling the baffles out many times. I do remember
        you explaining that the muffler should be removed. In doing so
        do not remove it by un screwing the bolts that hold it to the metal
        suspension plate. I read that a world of troubles can sometimes
        occure. Remove the muffler or silencer from the point at the rear
        foot peg. I believe Mr Holmes also explained that in the drilling
        process one should proceed from where the header pipe joins
        the silencer. Not from the point of exit. I believe Peter you
        mentioned some years ago that there are two restricting plates
        in the silencer. And that one can drill one and test the sound
        level first before drilling the second. Off course that's an extra
        reassembly and another disassembly if one decides to drill the
        second plate out. I hope my memory in all this is correct. I also
        belive that this will make the bike run leaner than the factory
        settings. The solution that many here have posted is the drilling
        out of the epa plugs on the bottom of the carbs and ensure the
        adjustment screws are turned out 2.5 turns to richen the fuel and
        air mixture. Guess some claim a few extra ponies from the
        process. Good luck.
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 12, 2005
          > I hope my memory in all this is correct.

          It's one helluva lot better than mine. :)