Fan Thermal Switch

  • John Shaw
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2005
      Hi:

      So for the 6th time in 5 years the temperature sensor (the one that turns on
      the radiator fan) has gone.
      It's not something else in the system since I can try even boiling water and
      the resistance does not change (it does on the new ones) and I've now got a
      manually operated switch wired across the sensor and it always works fine:
      but really there has to be a better way.

      Anyone else have this problem. Is there another manufacturer who makes a
      part that is not so failure prone?

      John
    • ncbtbs
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2005
        I've had that problem too. I've also had to replace the oil pressure
        sensor once. I think I might add a couple of gagues to my bubble
        fairing so I can see what's going on down there. I'll post if I do.

        NutCaseBob

        --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "John Shaw"

      • britboy1970@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2005
          i have a 98 tiger a 98 t'bird sport a 94 cbr and i have wired in a toggle switch to operate the fan on all of them.
          i have always done this with every water cooled bike i have owned.
          i use the aircraft type.
          all are custom mounted to look like a factory accessory.
          i live in florida, and whenever i stop at a light, or in traffic, i always turn the fan on.
          ps. it helps to have a water temp gauge.....
          use it as second nature now and will never have to be concerned about the stupid factory hookup again.
          but thats just me.....
          bright regards, rich.

            So for the 6th time in 5 years the temperature sensor (the one that turns on
            the radiator fan) has gone.
            It's not something else in the system since I can try even boiling water and
            the resistance does not change (it does on the new ones) and I've now got a
            manually operated switch wired across the sensor and it always works fine:
            but really there has to be a better way.

            Anyone else have this problem. Is there another manufacturer who makes a
            part that is not so failure prone?

            John

            Triumph 5 car seat Triumph car seat Triumph 5

          • John Shaw
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 2, 2005
              Thanks to you and the others who replied, I guess I am not alone :(
              If you find some gauges that fit and look decent let me know. I would like
              a water temperature at least but I don't see any obvious place for anything
              other than something very small.
              John