Re: Rusted thru off road silencers

  • ncbtbs
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2005
      I would imagine that if you park your bike outside, moisture could
      condense inside the silencers and cause rust. I don't think that
      they're chromed on the inside. I've seen people use rubber labratory
      flask stoppers in the silencer tips to prevent this, but I've never
      done it myself. I know me, and I would forget to remove them or put
      them in on humid days.

      Well, I don't know what needs to be done to fit them yet, but I plan
      to get a set of the Supertrapp slip on megaphones. Here's the company
      website for them:
      http://www.supertrapp.com/product_sections/cat.asp?CatID=36

      On my bike, one of the mounting bolts fell out and was lost. When I
      removed the silencer to clean it and put in a new bolt, I found that
      the brass insert that was supposed to hold it had come loose and was
      rattling around inside (so THAT'S what that noise was...). I got some
      carrige bolts and cut the heads with a dremel into a "T" shape, cut a
      notch in the silencer to get the insert out and used the t-bolts
      turned sideways in the notch to re-mount the silencer. Temporary fix
      at best. I hope that the Supertrapp silencers fit okay. I'll probably
      get them sometime in March when I come back from deployment, and I'll
      post the results then. In the meantime, Ebay auction number 4578309800
      is for a set of stock (non-off-road) silencers for a 2004 TBS. They
      won't fit on my '98. Current price is $150.

      NutCaseBob

      --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "mtnrunjohn"