[T TBS R] Re: Dead Bird

    Message 1 of 32 , Sep 1, 2005
      > even better then WD40...which leaves a gummy residue,
      > is Tuner Cleaner and Lubricant, which you can get at
      > Radio Shack for the ridiculouly high price of about
      > $10.00 for a can. But..the stuff really works and its
      > made for electronics.

      Good point. I think I'll pick up a can for myself. Radio Shack
      really has become very overpriced on a lot of stuff, hasn't it? I
      never did understand how they beat out Allied Electronics.
    • Todd Luchette
      Message 32 of 32 , Sep 1, 2006
        Success!

        I see that there are 3 tabs holding the casing around the ignition. I
        had to remove the headlamp to access the front tab.

        Pulled it off and and found the contacts were corroded on the upper
        contacts, and the bottoms were dirty. I cleaned, brushed and
        lubricated with an anti-oxidant lube. Now, the upper contact housing
        did stick to the bottom housing when I pulled it out, causing the
        bearing and springs to go flying out. Luckily, I found them all. I
        did crack the casing a bit (kinda thin and the contact housing didn't
        want to budge) when removing the lower contact housing, and the lower
        contacts did show a fair amount of wear, so I may need to get a new
        ignition.

        Thanks to for the help on this one.

        Todd
        '98 tbs

        On Aug 31, 2006, at 8:36 PM, petermholmes wrote:

        > > Can I get that off without removing the ignition switch from the
        > box?
        > >
        > > I'm going out to look at it right now.
        >
        > For what it's worth, Todd, spraying a slew of WD40 down the keyhole
        > and then working the key back and forth for a couple of minutes *did*
        > work for me.

        "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired,
        signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are
        not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."
        President Dwight D. Eisenhower
        April 16, 1953