Steering Damper

  • r60rider
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 10, 2005
      I need to install a steering damper on my 2004 Thunderbird Sport. Has
      anyone out there done this? If so, what particular components were
      used? It makes no difference to me whether it is a top mount or side
      mount damper assembly, although the top mount looks like a neater and
      more compact arrangement. I am almost sure that no one is marketing a
      kit for this motorcycle, so it looks like I would have to buy the
      separate damper and clamp components.

      Martin
      Maryland USA
    • Mo

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 10, 2005
          I agree w/Mo, there must be something wrong w/ your front end. I have 24K mi. on my 98 TBS w/ no need for a damper! Keith

          anyone out there done this? If so, what particular components were
          used? It makes no difference to me whether it is a top mount or side
          mount damper assembly, although the top mount looks like a neater and
          more compact arrangement. I am almost sure that no one is marketing a
          kit for this motorcycle, so it looks like I would have to buy the
          separate damper and clamp components.

          Martin
          Maryland USA

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          Visit your group "triumphthunderbirdsportriders" on the web.

        • Mo
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 10, 2005
            First..i'd check the front tire...some brands/models are more stable then others...also, check the steering head bearings (or the other way around) :)

            KEITH REGELIN <emeraldman1973@...> wrote:I agree w/Mo, there must be something wrong w/ your front end. I have 24K mi. on my 98 TBS w/ no need for a damper! Keith

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 10, 2005
              Why does it need a damper, Martin?

              >I need to install a steering damper on my 2004 Thunderbird Sport. Has
              > anyone out there done this? If so, what particular components were
              > used? It makes no difference to me whether it is a top mount or side
              > mount damper assembly, although the top mount looks like a neater and
              > more compact arrangement. I am almost sure that no one is marketing a
              > kit for this motorcycle, so it looks like I would have to buy the
              > separate damper and clamp components.
              >
              > Martin
              > Maryland USA
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • R60Rider
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 12, 2005
                There's nothing wrong with the front end. The motorcycle is new with only 138 miles on it. I need a damper to stop the mild front end wobble that occurs at low speed or the extreme, almost uncontrollable oscillation that occurs when I hit a bump or bridge seam. That's what happens when you hang a sidecar on a motorcycle due to the inherent weird geometry. My pre-1970 BMWs came from the factory with steering dampers as they were already set up for sidecar work. They included the mounts welded to the frame, the Earles fork leading-link front suspension and two mounting positions, solo & sidecar, for the front shocks.

                The Triumph TBS was not made with a sidecar in mind, so I had to mount a subframe to the motorcycle, now must add the steering damper and perhaps change the front end to a leading-link suspension. Anyway, I'm now told that the steering dampers made for motorcycles are unsuitable for this application. And I have found a source for the correct damper. Dauntless Motors http://www.dauntlessmotors.com/ which specializes in sidecar applications sells a Volkswagen damper and mounting hardware in addition to a leading-link front suspension.

                Martin

                Message: 5
                Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 14:39:46 -0700
                From: "KEITH REGELIN" <emeraldman1973@...>
                Subject: Re: Steering Damper

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 14, 2005
                  Don't you just love it when you finally get all the relevent
                  information!

                  --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "R60Rider"

                • reverendskirt
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 14, 2005
                    I have a steering dampner on my TBS, pics are at: http://www.triumphrat.net/
                    modules.php?set_albumName=album480&op=modload&name=Photo_Album&file=in
                    dex&include=view_album.php

                    If you go in the classifieds section of that site Mick Mcguire is selling a Sprint
                    dampner but you will still need the mounting parts. I have the Protek mount for
                    43mm forks and the other parts are for the 95/96 Speed Triple. I bought mine from
                    Traxxion Dynamics, contact them (look it up) and talk to Mike. Remind him of my
                    orange/white cafe racer and it should ring a bell with him. Dont have a cost estimate
                    for you. You will also need a universal bolt kit kiund of thing, Mike should be able to
                    order that too.

                    The only issue you will have is with the front turnsignals; they are so in the way. If
                    you keep them you will have to have the dampner pointing toward your knee. Not
                    only will it poke you during hard right turns, if you go over the bars there is a good
                    chance it will take out your knee in the process. I used 05 S3 tunrsignal mounts as
                    they look really cool, but you should be able to get away with using the
                    headlingbracket from a Legend or regular Bird.

                    Also, the protek bit mounts to the forks above the lower clamp, you will have to chop
                    that much off the right side tube that the headlight bracket attaches to.
                  • rew3624623
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 7, 2011
                      I was reading the threads on steering dampers and I am trying to configure one for my 1999 TBS. I am going to run the TBS this August at the Bonneville Salt Flats and the steering damper is required. Any suggestions?
                    • glgavin
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 7, 2011
                        Aloha and welcome to the group. What a wonderful undertaking. I looked at the thread and the link that Reverand Skirt left didn't work. Hopefully this one will. http://tinyurl.com/6j9ojdw

                        The image is buried in the old Original Members Album of TriumphRat.net under member TBSstunta.

                        I would imagine that most damper's for the T3 series bikes would fit with minor alterations.

                        07 Mini Cooper
                      • KEITH REGELIN
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 7, 2011
                          Why would anyone put a steering damper on a TBS? I have over 52,000 miles on mine since new, and NO headshake, EVER! Keith Regelin '98 TBS

                          To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 7, 2011
                            Aloha Keith - the need for the steering damper in the recent post is REQUIRED in order to run a bike at the Bonneville Salt Flats. As you say, a steering damper is not necessary on the TBS. Mine, with 104k miles on it and original wheel bearings, is stable at it's indicated top of 130 mph. The original thread did have a stability issue and I agree that it must have been something associated with fork oil levels, air pressure, head stock bearings, rim or tire condition/choice.

                            07 Mini Cooper S
                          • KEITH REGELIN
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 7, 2011
                              Gary, So sorry! Right after I shot that email, I read the one about Bonneville! So cool! Good luck there. You mey remember me, I asked for advice on whether or not to replace my radiator hoses on my '98 TBS several years ago. You said no. Good call, they still are working.. Keith Regelin PS You miss Hawaii? I lived there for 2 years when I was a child with my dad in Pearl City (Navy brat!)

                              To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
                              From: gary.l.gavin@...
                              Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 01:25:46 +0000

                              Message 14 of 14 , May 8, 2011
                                Over my years I've had the opportunity to live in several US states and Europe. Every place has had it's own beauty. Spending almost 30 years in Hawaii exceeded the time spent growing up in Western Colorado yet I still look to Colorado as my home. Over those 30 years Hawaii has changed some, like most places. Despite its beauty, weather and ethnic mix that I enjoyed so much, Oahu simply got too expensive and populated.

                                Over the winter in the Ozarks of Missouri I missed those warm and sometimes wet Hawaiian winter days but acquired some winter riding gear and slipped out for 100 mile rides once the temps reached 40 or above. Now with temps 50 or above I've really enjoyed regular 200 mile rides and whacked out a 400 plus mile ride just 'cause I had nothing better to do. In contrast that would be 4 times around Oahu, much of it at 35 mph.

                                Yea, I miss Hawaii, the Triumph and other riders who went on our monthly RAT rides, having windows open year round and the color of the ocean. But in my remaining years I'm looking forward to meeting many of the members of the various Triumph boards, seeing the country from two lane farm roads and attending the Triumph get-togethers that I've only read about online.

                                This time next week I'll be settling in North Carolina and am looking attending some of the East Coast events.

                                Hope to see you on the road,

                                07 Mini Cooper S