Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [T TBS R] Re: Poor running new TBS

Expand Messages
  • Walter Strahota
    Richard: I guess I m not very good at that any more. I m just too nice. I always become their lowest priority. When I was younger and more hot headed I got
    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 1, 2005
    • 0 Attachment
      Richard: I guess I'm not very good at that any more. I'm just too nice. I always become their lowest priority. When I was younger and more hot headed I got better service. Probably made more enemies though.

      Thanks for the invitation. What's a kilt?

      Walter

      Richard Fenner <rfenner@...> wrote:
      You won't regret it, mate. Just kick your dealer in the cojones and tell him
      to get his act together....

      Nelson, July 21-24, remember? Bring a kilt!!

      ;>)

      Best

      RF.

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Walter Strahota" <carguy53151@...>
      To: <triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2005 6:20 PM
      Subject: Re: [T TBS R] Re: Poor running new TBS


      > Richard: Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. I have had a few
      > bikes before but I bought this new one after not having a bike for about
      > 20 years. My last one was a Norton Commando and this seemed like the
      > modern equivalent. I know it's a great cycle but at this stage I want
      > reliability above all. I'll give it another chance.
      >
      > Walter
      >
      > Richard Fenner <rfenner@...> wrote:
      > Walter,
      >
      > Just came back from a GREAT w/e at the Olympia RAT Raid. What a super
      > bunch
      > of people, great venue and roads, and the new Triumph RAT coordinator,
      > Matt
      > Weinert, is an excellent guy.
      >
      > Another member of this group, Niles Reichert, was there (not on his TBS -
      > take ten penalty beers, Niles!) along with another 60 or so good folks
      > from
      > all over.
      >
      > Like you, I had the coil problems with my TBS after buying it with 26000
      > kms
      > on the clock. I kicked up a fuss and, even though the bike was out of
      > warranty, TMA paid for a new coil which took me all of 15 mins to fit.
      >
      > My bike has run like a train ever since. It now has 57000 klicks (I will
      > have had it 2 years on July 16) and the fun meter is still pegged every
      > time
      > I ride the thing.
      >
      > I'm 58, have been riding/racing since I was 14, have owned Japanese,
      > Italian, German and British bikes. My new 78 BMW R100RS blew a rear main
      > seal at 13000 miles - just out of warranty. Although the dealer would not
      > supply labour, they supplied parts and the special tools to do the job -
      > so
      > sh*t happens to even the supposedly unbreakable bikes.
      >
      > I've worked for motorcycle magazines in Britain and Africa, so have had
      > the
      > chance to ride almost everything that's out there over the last 30 years.
      >
      > Don't give up, mate. Pete's right. Jump all over your dealer, and call TMA
      > if you're not getting satisfaction from him. I guarantee, once you have
      > this
      > thing sorted, you will not believe what a great motorcycle you've chosen.
      >
      > Best of luck and, if I can help at all, drop me a line direct at the email
      > address on this message.
      >
      > Picture attached is Saturday night at Lake Quinault. It's a bit fuzzy but
      > so
      > were we! Matt Weinert on left, me in middle, copious amounts of alcohol
      > have
      > temporarily erased the name of the very nice guy on the right. I believe
      > Niles has more evidence but haven't received them yet.
      >
      > See what you'd be missing? Get that thing fixed and come to Nelson, BC in
      > July - the best Raid of them all with the best scenery, roads and nicest
      > riders on the planet!
      >
      > Kind regards,
      >
      > Richard.
      > 98 TBS
      > Vancouver, Canada.
      >
      > ----- Original Message -----
      > From: "Walter Strahota" <carguy53151@...>
      > To: <triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com>
      > Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2005 8:27 AM
      > Subject: RE: [T TBS R] Re: Poor running new TBS
      >
      >
      >> Yes I agree that a bad bike from another maker would be just as bad. Most
      >> of my experience is with cars and based on that I would say the chances
      >> of
      >> getting a troublesome Japanese product are much lower than with a
      >> European
      >> or American machine. It also seems the Japanese makers train their dealer
      >> network better and are more willing to do what it takes to achieve
      >> customer satisfaction. I did not ask for or receive a courtesy bike. If I
      >> had known it would be down this long I might have asked. I assume as long
      >> as the bike is under warranty I should have everything done by an
      >> authorized dealer. This is also based on lessons learned the hard way
      >> with
      >> cars. Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement.
      >>
      >> Pete Twissell <PTwissell@...> wrote:May I suggest: Before you
      >> abandon Triumph to go looking at Jap bikes, be aware that a bad Jap bike
      >> is no better than a bad bike from anywhere else.
      >> With regard to unhelpful dealers: The dealers only exists because
      >> customers use them. YOU are in control and you need to remind your dealer
      >> of that as often as possible. I assume from your comments that you were
      >> not offered a 'courtesy' bike to use while the dealer has your bike. Any
      >> dealer worth his salt should offer you something comparable to the bike
      >> you brought in. The cost should be covered by the warranty.
      >> Don't let dealers push you around. It's your money, your bike, your
      >> choice.
      >>
      >> Nil illigitimii te carburundum (Don't let the bastards grind you down)
      >>
      >> Pete.
      >>
      >> -----Original Message-----
      >> From: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
      >> [mailto:triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
      >> Walter
      >> Strahota
      >> Sent: 30 June 2005 13:10
      >> To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
      >> Subject: Re: [T TBS R] Re: Poor running new TBS
      >>
      >> Update: The dealer has had the bike for over 3 weeks and it's still not
      >> fixed. The latest promise is that it should be ready tomorrow so I should
      >> have some answers soon. I have missed 3 weeks of good summer riding
      >> weather so I'm about ready to start looking at Japanese bikes.
      >>
      >> jcatbert45 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:>No I have not checked the
      >> coils yet. I hesitate to dig too deeply
      >>>myself until the dealer can get it in. I don't want to void the
      >>>warranty. Thanks for the encouragement..
      >>>
      >>
      >> Checking the coils won't void the warranty unless you use a hammer ;) I
      >> would not be patient enough myself. I need to know for sure that way I'd
      >> be confident that the dealer repairs the right thing. Go for it man,
      >> it's
      >> easy peasy. Two dealers that won't give you the time of day, eh?
      >> Another
      >> example of poor dealer support....too too bad. They still are great
      >> bikes
      >> though!
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >> ---------------------------------
      >> YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >>
      >>
      >> Visit your group "triumphthunderbirdsportriders" on the web.
      >>
      >> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
      >> triumphthunderbirdsportriders-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
      >>
      >> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
      >>
      >>
      >> ---------------------------------
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >> __________________________________________________
      >> Do You Yahoo!?
      >> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
      >> http://mail.yahoo.com
      >>
      >> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >> Yahoo! Groups Links
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >> SPONSORED LINKS
      >> Triumph motorcycles Sport rider Carnival triumph Triumph part Triumph of
      >> the will Triumph bra
      >>
      >> ---------------------------------
      >> YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >>
      >>
      >> Visit your group "triumphthunderbirdsportriders" on the web.
      >>
      >> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
      >> triumphthunderbirdsportriders-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
      >>
      >> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
      >>
      >>
      >> ---------------------------------
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >> ---------------------------------
      >> Yahoo! Mail
      >> Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour
      >>
      >> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >> Yahoo! Groups Links
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >
      >
      > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      >
      >
      >
      > ---------------------------------
      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >
      >
      > Visit your group "triumphthunderbirdsportriders" on the web.
      >
      > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
      > triumphthunderbirdsportriders-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
      >
      > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
      >
      >
      > ---------------------------------
      >
      >
      >
      >
      > ---------------------------------
      > Yahoo! Sports
      > Rekindle the Rivalries. Sign up for Fantasy Football
      >
      > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      >
      >
      >
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >



      ---------------------------------
      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS


      Visit your group "triumphthunderbirdsportriders" on the web.

      To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
      triumphthunderbirdsportriders-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.


      ---------------------------------




      ---------------------------------
      Yahoo! Sports
      Rekindle the Rivalries. Sign up for Fantasy Football

      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • carguy53151
      I finally got the TBS back today. They said it was a California model and changed the venting in the fuel tank and some re routing of lines to the carbs as I
      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 8, 2005
      • 0 Attachment
        I finally got the TBS back today. They said it was a California
        model and changed the venting in the fuel tank and some re routing
        of lines to the carbs as I understand it. I still don't think it's
        right. I rode it back about 35 miles on the highway. At least it
        didn't quit. It still seemed to have a rough spot at times around
        3000-3500 rpm. It did kill as soon as I pulled in to the driveway
        and slowed the engine to an idle. It did restart right away. I'll
        have to ride it some more and see what happens. Thanks again to all
        who offered suggestions.

        Walter(03 TBS)

        --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Richard
        Fenner" <rfenner@t...> wrote:
        > See attached.
        >
        >
        > ----- Original Message -----
        > From: "Walter Strahota" <carguy53151@y...>
        > To: <triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com>
        > Sent: Friday, July 01, 2005 6:05 AM
        > Subject: Re: [T TBS R] Re: Poor running new TBS
        >
        >
        > > Richard: I guess I'm not very good at that any more. I'm just
        too nice. I
        > > always become their lowest priority. When I was younger and more
        hot
        > > headed I got better service. Probably made more enemies though.
        > >
        > > Thanks for the invitation. What's a kilt?
        > >
        > > Walter
        > >
        > > Richard Fenner <rfenner@t...> wrote:
        > > You won't regret it, mate. Just kick your dealer in the cojones
        and tell
        > > him
        > > to get his act together....
        > >
        > > Nelson, July 21-24, remember? Bring a kilt!!
        > >
        > > ;>)
        > >
        > > Best
        > >
        > > RF.
        > >
        > > ----- Original Message -----
        > > From: "Walter Strahota" <carguy53151@y...>
        > > To: <triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com>
        > > Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2005 6:20 PM
        > > Subject: Re: [T TBS R] Re: Poor running new TBS
        > >
        > >
        > >> Richard: Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. I have had
        a few
        > >> bikes before but I bought this new one after not having a bike
        for about
        > >> 20 years. My last one was a Norton Commando and this seemed
        like the
        > >> modern equivalent. I know it's a great cycle but at this stage
        I want
        > >> reliability above all. I'll give it another chance.
        > >>
        > >> Walter
        > >>
        > >> Richard Fenner <rfenner@t...> wrote:
        > >> Walter,
        > >>
        > >> Just came back from a GREAT w/e at the Olympia RAT Raid. What a
        super
        > >> bunch
        > >> of people, great venue and roads, and the new Triumph RAT
        coordinator,
        > >> Matt
        > >> Weinert, is an excellent guy.
        > >>
        > >> Another member of this group, Niles Reichert, was there (not on
        his TBS -
        > >> take ten penalty beers, Niles!) along with another 60 or so
        good folks
        > >> from
        > >> all over.
        > >>
        > >> Like you, I had the coil problems with my TBS after buying it
        with 26000
        > >> kms
        > >> on the clock. I kicked up a fuss and, even though the bike was
        out of
        > >> warranty, TMA paid for a new coil which took me all of 15 mins
        to fit.
        > >>
        > >> My bike has run like a train ever since. It now has 57000
        klicks (I will
        > >> have had it 2 years on July 16) and the fun meter is still
        pegged every
        > >> time
        > >> I ride the thing.
        > >>
        > >> I'm 58, have been riding/racing since I was 14, have owned
        Japanese,
        > >> Italian, German and British bikes. My new 78 BMW R100RS blew a
        rear main
        > >> seal at 13000 miles - just out of warranty. Although the dealer
        would not
        > >> supply labour, they supplied parts and the special tools to do
        the job -
        > >> so
        > >> sh*t happens to even the supposedly unbreakable bikes.
        > >>
        > >> I've worked for motorcycle magazines in Britain and Africa, so
        have had
        > >> the
        > >> chance to ride almost everything that's out there over the last
        30 years.
        > >>
        > >> Don't give up, mate. Pete's right. Jump all over your dealer,
        and call
        > >> TMA
        > >> if you're not getting satisfaction from him. I guarantee, once
        you have
        > >> this
        > >> thing sorted, you will not believe what a great motorcycle
        you've chosen.
        > >>
        > >> Best of luck and, if I can help at all, drop me a line direct
        at the
        > >> email
        > >> address on this message.
        > >>
        > >> Picture attached is Saturday night at Lake Quinault. It's a bit
        fuzzy but
        > >> so
        > >> were we! Matt Weinert on left, me in middle, copious amounts of
        alcohol
        > >> have
        > >> temporarily erased the name of the very nice guy on the right.
        I believe
        > >> Niles has more evidence but haven't received them yet.
        > >>
        > >> See what you'd be missing? Get that thing fixed and come to
        Nelson, BC in
        > >> July - the best Raid of them all with the best scenery, roads
        and nicest
        > >> riders on the planet!
        > >>
        > >> Kind regards,
        > >>
        > >> Richard.
        > >> 98 TBS
        > >> Vancouver, Canada.
        > >>
        > >> ----- Original Message -----
        > >> From: "Walter Strahota" <carguy53151@y...>
        > >> To: <triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com>
        > >> Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2005 8:27 AM
        > >> Subject: RE: [T TBS R] Re: Poor running new TBS
        > >>
        > >>
        > >>> Yes I agree that a bad bike from another maker would be just
        as bad.
        > >>> Most
        > >>> of my experience is with cars and based on that I would say
        the chances
        > >>> of
        > >>> getting a troublesome Japanese product are much lower than
        with a
        > >>> European
        > >>> or American machine. It also seems the Japanese makers train
        their
        > >>> dealer
        > >>> network better and are more willing to do what it takes to
        achieve
        > >>> customer satisfaction. I did not ask for or receive a courtesy
        bike. If
        > >>> I
        > >>> had known it would be down this long I might have asked. I
        assume as
        > >>> long
        > >>> as the bike is under warranty I should have everything done by
        an
        > >>> authorized dealer. This is also based on lessons learned the
        hard way
        > >>> with
        > >>> cars. Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement.
        > >>>
        > >>> Pete Twissell <PTwissell@m...> wrote:May I suggest: Before you
        > >>> abandon Triumph to go looking at Jap bikes, be aware that a
        bad Jap bike
        > >>> is no better than a bad bike from anywhere else.
        > >>> With regard to unhelpful dealers: The dealers only exists
        because
        > >>> customers use them. YOU are in control and you need to remind
        your
        > >>> dealer
        > >>> of that as often as possible. I assume from your comments that
        you were
        > >>> not offered a 'courtesy' bike to use while the dealer has your
        bike. Any
        > >>> dealer worth his salt should offer you something comparable to
        the bike
        > >>> you brought in. The cost should be covered by the warranty.
        > >>> Don't let dealers push you around. It's your money, your bike,
        your
        > >>> choice.
        > >>>
        > >>> Nil illigitimii te carburundum (Don't let the bastards grind
        you down)
        > >>>
        > >>> Pete.
        > >>>
        > >>> -----Original Message-----
        > >>> From: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
        > >>> [mailto:triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com] On
        Behalf Of
        > >>> Walter
        > >>> Strahota
        > >>> Sent: 30 June 2005 13:10
        > >>> To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
        > >>> Subject: Re: [T TBS R] Re: Poor running new TBS
        > >>>
        > >>> Update: The dealer has had the bike for over 3 weeks and it's
        still not
        > >>> fixed. The latest promise is that it should be ready tomorrow
        so I
        > >>> should
        > >>> have some answers soon. I have missed 3 weeks of good summer
        riding
        > >>> weather so I'm about ready to start looking at Japanese bikes.
        > >>>
        > >>> jcatbert45 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:>No I have not
        checked the
        > >>> coils yet. I hesitate to dig too deeply
        > >>>>myself until the dealer can get it in. I don't want to void the
        > >>>>warranty. Thanks for the encouragement..
        > >>>>
        > >>>
        > >>> Checking the coils won't void the warranty unless you use a
        hammer ;) I
        > >>> would not be patient enough myself. I need to know for sure
        that way
        > >>> I'd
        > >>> be confident that the dealer repairs the right thing. Go for
        it man,
        > >>> it's
        > >>> easy peasy. Two dealers that won't give you the time of day,
        eh?
        > >>> Another
        > >>> example of poor dealer support....too too bad. They still are
        great
        > >>> bikes
        > >>> though!
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>> ---------------------------------
        > >>> YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>> Visit your group "triumphthunderbirdsportriders" on the web.
        > >>>
        > >>> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
        > >>> triumphthunderbirdsportriders-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        > >>>
        > >>> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
        Service.
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>> ---------------------------------
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>> __________________________________________________
        > >>> Do You Yahoo!?
        > >>> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
        > >>> http://mail.yahoo.com
        > >>>
        > >>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>> Yahoo! Groups Links
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>> SPONSORED LINKS
        > >>> Triumph motorcycles Sport rider Carnival triumph Triumph part
        Triumph of
        > >>> the will Triumph bra
        > >>>
        > >>> ---------------------------------
        > >>> YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>> Visit your group "triumphthunderbirdsportriders" on the web.
        > >>>
        > >>> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
        > >>> triumphthunderbirdsportriders-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        > >>>
        > >>> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
        Service.
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>> ---------------------------------
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>> ---------------------------------
        > >>> Yahoo! Mail
        > >>> Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour
        > >>>
        > >>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>> Yahoo! Groups Links
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>
        > >>
        > >> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        > >>
        > >>
        > >>
        > >> ---------------------------------
        > >> YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        > >>
        > >>
        > >> Visit your group "triumphthunderbirdsportriders" on the web.
        > >>
        > >> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
        > >> triumphthunderbirdsportriders-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        > >>
        > >> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
        Service.
        > >>
        > >>
        > >> ---------------------------------
        > >>
        > >>
        > >>
        > >>
        > >> ---------------------------------
        > >> Yahoo! Sports
        > >> Rekindle the Rivalries. Sign up for Fantasy Football
        > >>
        > >> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        > >>
        > >>
        > >>
        > >>
        > >> Yahoo! Groups Links
        > >>
        > >>
        > >>
        > >>
        > >>
        > >>
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > > ---------------------------------
        > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        > >
        > >
        > > Visit your group "triumphthunderbirdsportriders" on the web.
        > >
        > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
        > > triumphthunderbirdsportriders-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        > >
        > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
        Service.
        > >
        > >
        > > ---------------------------------
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > > ---------------------------------
        > > Yahoo! Sports
        > > Rekindle the Rivalries. Sign up for Fantasy Football
        > >
        > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > > Yahoo! Groups Links
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > >
        >
        >
        > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.