8655RE: [T TBS R] chain and sprockets

  • Rick Korchak - webBikeWorld
    Jun 1, 2004
      I haven't done the job yet, still waiting for parts, but I did get a brand
      new front sprocket also with 17 teeth, I didn't check, but the parts counter
      guy told me the original front has 17 teeth, can anyone confirm?

      I do plan on changing out the front and rear sprockets along with the chain.
      Dropping one tooth in the rear I hope will give slightly better acceleration
      and lower the speed at which I have to engage 6th gear. On the back country
      roads around here (Northern MD), I rarely get into 6th. I'm hoping this
      combo will give me more grunt in the lower gears where I use it most.

      According to their chart, 17 tooth front and 43 rear (which I think is
      what's on the stock bike) yields a 2.53 ratio. Leaving the 17 tooth front
      and adding a 42 tooth rear would drop it to 2.47, not much really, and now I
      wonder if I'll notice any difference. I thought I heard once that it wasn't
      a good idea to fool with the number of teeth on the front sprocket?

      Rick.

      Rick Korchak
      http://www.webbikeworld.com
      A planet full of motorcycles, motorcycle accessories, clothing, helmets,
      reviews and more!