      From: cpallenjr <cpallenjr@...>
      Subject: Re: [T TBS R] Clutch
      To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, October 5, 2008, 1:31 PM

      The symptom for the clutch plates sticking is a big lurch, followed
      by the engine stalling. It is definately not something that seems
      electrical.

      The neutral and clutch switches only interrupt the starting circuits,
      not the run. The kickstand switch will kill the motor if running and
      the bike is not in neutral.

      A third possibility is the connection jumper for the accessory alarm,
      which is a blue wire from pin 6 to 8 on an otherwise empty connector
      44 which if I recall correctly is in front of the battery. I have no
      experience with this myself, but it look likes electrically- speaking
      it could be your problem.

      Good Luck
      Courtney in Seattle

      --- In triumphthunderbirds portriders@ yahoogroups. com, "kumara04"
      <kumara40@.. .> wrote:

      > Ref: Bike stalls when put in gear!
      > Remember this bike has been in a shed for 6 years
      >
      > Having I beleive eliminated the kick stand switch
      > Reading newly aquired Haynes manual, I thought I would look at the
      > clutch plates. (The book suggests could be stuck together) If
      nothing
      > else you learn a bit about your bike!
      > Anyway took all the plates off which looked fine to me. put back
      on,
      > snapped a bolt...gave up for the day...Today managed to extract the
      > broken bolt and fit the clutch again.
      > I noted, and did note before snapped bolt the torcue settings quite
      low
      > for these bots, beware if you do! Did these to 10NM as book but
      added
      > some thread lock to be happy
      >
      > Now this is my only modern motorcycle, my only other bikes are all
      > Sunbeams www.onthebeam. co.uk
      > Now the Sunbeam has a dry clutch and that's all I have any
      experience
      > off. When I disengage when in gear on the Sunbeam, the rear wheel
      turns
      > and freely as if not in gear at all.
      > However with no experience of a 'wet' clutch, with several plates
      all
      > covered in oil, then there is some drive to the rear wheel, i.e.
      when