12281Re: adhesive for tank pad

  • tbsbiker2
    Dec 4, 2007
      Bill,

      I can tell you how I mounted rubber knee pads on my classic Triumph, I
      used a black RTV silicone. Clean the tank area with a paint friendly
      cleaner to get all grease and wax off...then apply a thin bead of
      sealer around the outside edges and a few thin lines in the center
      areas so everything sticks down. Key is to keep it off the edges by
      1/4 inch or so so you dont end up sqeezing a bunch beyond the outside
      edges (you can clean that up VERY carefully once dry if you spots that
      leakout). you don't need alot of sealer! Also I used some masking tape
      to indicate a top and side reference point so when I put it down I had
      a guide to follow.

      Some of the others may have a different method. Mine have been on my
      Trophy for over 2 years now with no signs of comming off or lifting.

      Peter
      2000 TBS
      1970 TR6R
      1972 Combat Commando
      -- In
      triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "atlantajaguarfan"
      <atlantajaguarfan@...> wrote:

      > Hey guys, I just ordered and received a Triumph black rubber tank
      pad for my TBS. Haven't
      > even taken it out of the package yet. My question is what kind of
      glue/adhesive should I use
      > to put it on my tank? Dumb question I know. But just want to do it
      the right way. Thanks, Bill

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic