Re: Canadian Maritimes routes, gear recommendations?

  • pherbold
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30, 2012
      --- In triumphmotorcycleclub2@yahoogroups.com, petermholmes <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > If you've seen the crosspost elsewhere, apologies in advance...
      >
      > I've decided I want to do the Canadian Maritimes this Spring and I'm looking for suggestions. My guess is what I want to take in is Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, and PEI, but I want to take my time and I'm only allocating 2-3 weeks for the whole thing. Ideally I'll end by coming back through Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont, dropping back into New York somewhere around Ticonderoga. Anybody have suggestions as to routes to take, things to make sure I see, etc?
      >
      > Also can't help but note that virtually all of my gear is getting pretty old, so...
      >
      > I'll grab a new 3/4 helmet, one *without* an American flag pattern on it. No point in wearing something that screams "hassle me" to both the populace and the local provincial police. Any recommendations for the under $200 crowd?
      >
      > I'll also be looking for a new set of BMW Gore-tex boots. The ones I have now really were waterproof for about 10 years until the stitching started to give out, so I'm just looking to replace them. Anybody know where to get a good price on these?
      >
      > And finally...I've got a First Gear riding suit which does a good job at waterproof and comfort in general, but is way too bulky. I suspect strongly I could get away with a lot less. Anybody got any recommendations for rain kit? I'm looking for 100% waterproof and reasonably compact storage. And I would rather not spend any more than I have to on it as I generally avoid riding in the rain.
      >
      > Thanks for any help you guys can give.
      >
      > Peter

      The best lightweight, warm, inexpensive and compact rain gear is "Frog Togs" available on line from "Cycle Giant" and/or affiliate "Wing Stuff" on line.
      Paul H.
    • GREGORY GARON
      Message 2 of 4 , May 30, 2012
        I have some Arlen Ness clothing, waterproof, windproof, safe and moderate in price. Try looking on the internet for places and prices, etc.  Sounds like a great trip, do enjoy and drive safe.

      • petermholmes
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2012
          Thanks for the help, Paul and Greg. I'm very much looking forward to this trip.

          I wound up with the Triumph Acton 2 jacket, pants and gloves, and Tourmaster Solution 2.0 boots. If they all work as advertised, I should be completely waterproof, windproof, and breathable, at least from the neck down.

          Grand total was a little over $450, which I thought was pretty reasonable. I'll report back with how it all worked when I get home.