Triple Engine Trouble

  • kansasjackz
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 17, 2010
      I have a 2001 Adventurer Triple 900cc, the bike has only 3,000 orginal miles. Obviously the bike has set a lot during its life. I have it at the local dealer for some carb work and they state they found metal in the oil when they did an oil change and that two cylinders have weak compression. The engine does "rattle" bit when running. I told them to go ahead and open the engine up see what the problem is $$$$. Anyone have any thoughts or advice given this information on what might be the problem or what I should do? I could easily have a repair bill that exceeds the bike value.
    • RobertG
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 18, 2010
        --- In triumphmotorcycleclub2@yahoogroups.com, "kansasjackz" <jbrown122@...> wrote:

        > I have a 2001 Adventurer Triple 900cc, the bike has only 3,000

        Dear Kansasjackz

        Can't give you any help, wish I could....but the triple is a hearty engine. I hope it's not too much $$$$.Keep us posted and good luck.

        Bob G
        95 Sprint
      • tontonluluc
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 18, 2010
          Hi KansasJackz

          This does sound fishy. Was the bike properly broken in? With 3000 miles on the clock for a 9 y/o bikes, I'm wondering if the break-in oil has even been changed. I'd suspect the break-in oil to have some metal in it.

          I had a similar problem with a 98 Tiger. The root cause of the problem is still unknown to me as it was fixed under warranty. Of course, that was only a couple months after I had purchased the bike, not nine years later...
          What I think happened is this: I suspect one of the rings on one cylinder wasn't mounted correctly, or wasn't mounted at all. Weak compression, the bike also consumed a lot of oil, although it didn't "smoke" at the exhaust. Before they fixed it, they told me to run the bike under heavy load to increase compression and "seal" or expand the rings (that didn't fix anything). I don't know if the oil had metal in it; the dealer just didn't tell me what the real problem was...

          I'm not sure I can give you any help, but if that adventurer was my bike, I'd replace the oil first, put some break in oil in it, then run the bike around town and check the oil, say, 200-400 miles later to check if there is metal. If there still is metal, then I guess it might be difficult to avoid a more expensive repair...

          LuLuc

          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 18, 2010
            You already told them to tear it down. I do my own work on my bikes for this very reason, not all mechanics are dishonest and maybe you do have a problem. When they told you
            had bad compression did you ask to see them test it?

          • mlrt95@aol.com
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 18, 2010
              If and when you get it back and running i would invest in a VERY strong rare earth filter magnet to catch that so called metal in the oil.

              You already told them to tear it down. I do my own work on my bikes for this very reason, not all mechanics are dishonest and maybe you do have a problem. When they told you
              had bad compression did you ask to see them test it?
              This does sound fishy. Was the bike properly broken in? With 3000 miles on the clock for a 9 y/o bikes, I'm wondering if the break-in oil has even been changed. I'd suspect the break-in oil to have some metal in it.

              I had a similar problem with a 98 Tiger. The root cause of the problem is still unknown to me as it was fixed under warranty. Of course, that was only a couple months after I had purchased the bike, not nine years later...
              What I think happened is this: I suspect one of the rings on one cylinder wasn't mounted correctly, or wasn't mounted at all. Weak compression, the bike also consumed a lot of oil, although it didn't "smoke" at the exhaust. Before they fixed it, they told me to run the bike under heavy load to increase compression and "seal" or expand the rings (that didn't fix anything). I don't know if the oil had metal in it; the dealer just didn't tell me what the real problem was...

              I'm not sure I can give you any help, but if that adventurer was my bike, I'd replace the oil first, put some break in oil in it, then run the bike around town and check the oil, say, 200-400 miles later to check if there is metal. If there still is metal, then I guess it might be difficult to avoid a more expensive repair...

              LuLuc

              --- In triumphmotorcycleclub2@yahoogroups.com, "kansasjackz" <jbrown122@...> wrote:

              > I have a 2001 Adventurer Triple 900cc, the bike has only 3,000 orginal miles. Obviously the bike has set a lot during its life. I have it at the local dealer for some carb work and they state they found metal in the oil when they did an oil change and that two cylinders have weak compression. The engine does "rattle" bit when running. I told them to go ahead and open the engine up see what the problem is $$$$. Anyone have any thoughts or advice given this information on what might be the problem or what I should do? I could easily have a repair bill that exceeds the bike value.

            • Mark B
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 19, 2010
                '96 Triumph Sprint 900 on Ebay
                Nightshade Blue, less than 13,000 miles.
                Very good condition
                Starting at $1500.

              • Mark B
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 19, 2010
                  With Link this time
                  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170500635427&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT

                  '96 Triumph Sprint 900 on Ebay
                  Nightshade Blue, less than 13,000 miles.
                  Very good condition
                  Starting at $1500.
                  Located in PA.

                • Captain Ian McRae
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 19, 2010
                    Hi fellas,

                    I am no longer a member of this group, so can the administrator please remove me from the list, as I am still receiving postings.

                    Cheers,

                    Ian

                    Nightshade Blue, less than 13,000 miles.
                    Very good condition
                    Starting at $1500.

                  • A F
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 19, 2010
                      You have to remove yourself.

                      From: Mark B <accelerate56@...>

                      To: triumphmotorcycleclub2@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 19, 2010
                        Ian,

                        Go to the group page and click on "Edit Membership" near the top of the
                        page. From there you can select "Leave Group".

                        Dave
                        --- In triumphmotorcycleclub2@yahoogroups.com, A F <bigal8295@...>
                        wrote:

                        > You have to remove yourself.

                      • Jack Brown
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 19, 2010
                          I decided not to have the dealer open up the engine but I think it will be
                          necessary. The compression according to the mechanic is for cylinders 1,2,3
                          is 85,90 and 200 respectively and after riding it I have no reason to doubt
                          the readings. I rode 15 miles and was able to accelerate through traffic up
                          to around 50 when needed but there is an abnormal noise in addition to the
                          normal clatter of the engine not sure how to describe it but it doesn't
                          sound right. I did the old mechanic's stethoscope test with a piece of
                          dowel, but couldn't detect anything knocking it mostly sounded the whirring
                          noises you would expect. The bike was running fine when I put it in the
                          garage for the winter. When I had difficulty starting it I did use some
                          starting fluid and got the bike running but only on starting fluid the carbs
                          needed cleaning and thus the trip to the dealer. Could the starting fluid
                          have washed the lubrication from the cylinders and caused a broken ring or
                          some maybe some kind of valve train problem. The engine has 3,000 miles
                          total I am not sure riding it and using Mystery Oil will cure this problem.

                        • Lars
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 19, 2010
                            Starting fluid(ether) is a useful tool if used sparingly. It also is the best way to break a ring or worse, blow the head clean off. I would at least pull the head for a look see.

                            Jack Brown <jbrown122@...> wrote:

                            >I decided not to have the dealer open up the engine but I think it will be
                            >necessary. The compression according to the mechanic is for cylinders 1,2,3
                            >is 85,90 and 200 respectively and after riding it I have no reason to doubt
                            >the readings. I rode 15 miles and was able to accelerate through traffic up
                            >to around 50 when needed but there is an abnormal noise in addition to the
                            >normal clatter of the engine not sure how to describe it but it doesn't
                            >sound right. I did the old mechanic's stethoscope test with a piece of
                            >dowel, but couldn't detect anything knocking it mostly sounded the whirring
                            >noises you would expect. The bike was running fine when I put it in the
                            >garage for the winter. When I had difficulty starting it I did use some
                            >starting fluid and got the bike running but only on starting fluid the carbs
                            >needed cleaning and thus the trip to the dealer. Could the starting fluid
                            >have washed the lubrication from the cylinders and caused a broken ring or
                            >some maybe some kind of valve train problem. The engine has 3,000 miles
                            >total I am not sure riding it and using Mystery Oil will cure this problem.

                          • Iain
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 19, 2010
                              Hi Ian
                              I am also in Scotland what bike do you have

                              From: David Schieferstein <manfromtriumph@...>
                              Subject: Re: [Triumph Motorcycle club] ex-Membership
                              To: triumphmotorcycleclub2@yahoogroups.com
                              Date: Sunday, 20 June, 2010, 10:58

                              Ooooh, leave it to Yahoo! Wish I could help, but this isn't my group.

                              ________________________________
                              I know this. I went to the page and it invites me to join the group !!! I already left the group some time ago, and have received nothing since. Suddenly I am receiving messages again.

                              wrote:

                              > You have to remove yourself.

                            • David S
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 19, 2010
                                If I were you, I would stop riding that bike, like NOW.

                                With the compression readings you gave, and an "abnormal noise", you are
                                not doing it any good. At best, it sounds like you are going to need 2
                                cylinder liners, and 2 sets of rings, and possibly a couple of pistons.
                                If it's not burning oil, you may just have some stuck valves, but if
                                they are hitting the pistons you may have all the parts I mentioned
                                above plus head and valve work or replacement. Good luck, sounds like
                                you are going to need it.

                                BTW, I don't think starting fluid would harm the top end, unless you
                                sprayed an entire can into the intakes at one shot. If it did damage it,
                                my buddy is in trouble with his Buell. The Buell engine isn't over-built
                                like the old T3 triples, and we shot about half a can into his over
                                about an hour & his bike still runs.

                                Dave
                                --- In triumphmotorcycleclub2@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Brown"
                                <jbrown122@...> wrote:

                                > I decided not to have the dealer open up the engine but I think it
                                will be
                                > necessary. The compression according to the mechanic is for cylinders
                                1,2,3
                                > is 85,90 and 200 respectively and after riding it I have no reason to
                                doubt
                                > the readings. I rode 15 miles and was able to accelerate through
                                traffic up
                                > to around 50 when needed but there is an abnormal noise in addition to
                                the
                                > normal clatter of the engine not sure how to describe it but it
                                doesn't
                                > sound right. I did the old mechanic's stethoscope test with a piece of
                                > dowel, but couldn't detect anything knocking it mostly sounded the
                                whirring
                                > noises you would expect. The bike was running fine when I put it in
                                the
                                > garage for the winter. When I had difficulty starting it I did use
                                some
                                > starting fluid and got the bike running but only on starting fluid the
                                carbs
                                > needed cleaning and thus the trip to the dealer. Could the starting
                                fluid
                                > have washed the lubrication from the cylinders and caused a broken
                                ring or
                                > some maybe some kind of valve train problem. The engine has 3,000
                                miles
                                > total I am not sure riding it and using Mystery Oil will cure this
                                problem.

                              • Robert
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 19, 2010
                                  I'm sure I'll get some disagreement here, but I'm used to it I use WD-40 as a starting fluild in my bikes. With that said are you pushing any smoke?

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 19, 2010
                                    I removed myself  months ago, and have received nothng since.    Suddenly I am receiving postings again, and when I go to the groups web page it says I am NOT a member.

                                    If I'm not a member .... how can I remove myself ????

                                    Surely your administrator can make sure I don't receive anything any more.

                                      wrote:

                                      > You have to remove yourself.

                                    • David Schieferstein
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jun 20, 2010

                                        wrote:

                                        > You have to remove yourself.

                                      • Larry Plass
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jun 20, 2010
                                          Jack, you don't live near Virginia by any chance do you? My buddy is
                                          probably one of the best T3 mechanics around, tears them down all the time
                                          (he owns 3 of them) and does superb work for less than a dealer. Just
                                          throwing it out there if you do. He can pick up and deliver as well. I
                                          agree, until diagnosed, riding the bike will probably not help your final
                                          bill any.

                                          Larry

                                          If I were you, I would stop riding that bike, like NOW.

                                          With the compression readings you gave, and an "abnormal noise", you are
                                          not doing it any good. At best, it sounds like you are going to need 2
                                          cylinder liners, and 2 sets of rings, and possibly a couple of pistons.
                                          If it's not burning oil, you may just have some stuck valves, but if
                                          they are hitting the pistons you may have all the parts I mentioned
                                          above plus head and valve work or replacement. Good luck, sounds like
                                          you are going to need it.

                                          BTW, I don't think starting fluid would harm the top end, unless you
                                          sprayed an entire can into the intakes at one shot. If it did damage it,
                                          my buddy is in trouble with his Buell. The Buell engine isn't over-built
                                          like the old T3 triples, and we shot about half a can into his over
                                          about an hour & his bike still runs.

                                          Dave

                                          =======
                                          http://www.pctools.com/
                                          =======

                                        • Jack Brown
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jun 20, 2010
                                            No smoke, the service manager said it smoked a lot when they started it but
                                            the mechanic told me he had put oil in the cylinders to get compression up
                                            to start it.

                                          • Jack Brown
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jun 20, 2010
                                              I live in Wichita, KS it looks like I will be at the mercy of my local
                                              dealer unless I find a Triumph mechanic I feel comfortable with outside the
                                              dealership.

                                            • Captain Ian McRae

                                              • mlrt95@aol.com
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jun 20, 2010
                                                  We were talking about this at work last night. The old formula WD40 used a small amount of Butane as a propelent. I was'nt aware you could still use it. No argument here.

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jun 20, 2010
                                                    Mark it as spam.

                                                    I am no longer a member of this group, so can the administrator please remove me from the list, as I am still receiving postings.

                                                    Cheers,

                                                    Ian

                                                    Nightshade Blue, less than 13,000 miles.

                                                    Very good condition

                                                    Starting at $1500.

                                                  • petermholmes
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jun 20, 2010
                                                      > I live in Wichita, KS it looks like I will be at the mercy
                                                      > of my local dealer

                                                      It's only 5 hours to Baxter's ...
                                                    • Iain
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Jun 20, 2010
                                                        Hi Ian
                                                        I got one off the new Triumph 1600 Thunderbirds 6 months ago i,ll try and attach photo

                                                        Iain