[Triumph Motorcycle club] Re: Touchy throttle on my 2006 Scrambler

  • petermholmes
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 1, 2010
      > The o-ring is a dangerous thing to try .

      Have you ever actually *used* one? I did for thousands of miles on my LegendTT with no complaints whatsoever. It doesn't take much resistance at all to stop these throttles from returning.
    • petermholmes
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 1, 2010
        > Have you ever actually *used* one?

        Oh crap! It's been so long since I bothered with one I forgot how I used it.

        From the Triumph Digest:

        Here is Cat[erpillar] O-ring number. You put on bar weight close to
        grip and when needed roll up to edge of grip w/thumb. Has enough
        tension to hold throttle but you can shut down for emergency.
        Caterpillar # 8M 4991
        Here is a Cat dealer who will sell them mail order w/no minimum order

        HOLT Company of Ohio
        11330 Mosteller Road
        Cincinnati, Ohio 45241
        (888) 332-HOLT toll free

        Part # 8M-4991, Bin Location code: AE29B13, price $2.55*

        Anyway...works fine.
      • necro103@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 1, 2010
          Yes I have you recommended me to do the same over a year ago and I found it to be a danger on my S4 . Jerky and rough in opening and closing the throttle. The throttle lock/cruisecontrol to me is more than safe and affective. Besides that why would you want the embarrassment of explaining to anyone who would ask about it and in some states they may fine you for improper equipment. Do what you want to but I am safe and 50 state legal...S4

          > The o-ring is a dangerous thing to try .

          Have you ever actually *used* one? I did for thousands of miles on my LegendTT with no complaints whatsoever. It doesn't take much resistance at all to stop these throttles from returning.

        • Robert
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 1, 2010
            $4 what a deal and no worries

            > The o-ring is a dangerous thing to try .

            Have you ever actually *used* one? I did for thousands of miles on my LegendTT with no complaints whatsoever. It doesn't take much resistance at all to stop these throttles from returning.

          • mark harrigan
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 1, 2010
              I found an unused 1" O-ring in the garage yesterday, slipped it on between
              the grip and the stock bar-end and it works great - just enough tension on
              the grip to help elevate the "to snappy" stock throttle tension and also
              keeps the throttle steady when on the freeway. I usually ride a Harley and
              most come with a built in "adjustable throttle tension device" so I am used
              to having little return spring tension so I am use to a throttle that does
              not snap back on its own.

            • Larry Plass
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 1, 2010
                I adapted (with a small piece of thin sheetmetal and a drill/screw) a cheap
                NEP cruise control to my Thruxton, works great (lever on/lever off). I also
                have a bar-end expensive Throttlemeister for my '95 Speed Triple, it's very
                well made and works well, but the NEP is easier to deploy/employ because you
                don't have to try to hold the throttle steady while turning the bar-end
                (plus I have bar-end mirrors on the Thruxton). I also have the appropriate
                caterpillar p/n 8M-4991 O-ring, but don't really care for that as much as
                the NEP.

                Larry

                I found an unused 1" O-ring in the garage yesterday, slipped it on between
                the grip and the stock bar-end and it works great - just enough tension on
                the grip to help elevate the "to snappy" stock throttle tension and also
                keeps the throttle steady when on the freeway. I usually ride a Harley and
                most come with a built in "adjustable throttle tension device" so I am used
                to having little return spring tension so I am use to a throttle that does
                not snap back on its own.

                Database version: 6.14690
                <http://www.pctools.com/en/spyware-doctor-antivirus/>

                Database version: 6.14690

              • snslawr
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 2, 2010
                  The Cat o-ring trick has been used by Connie owners for decades but it's not for everybody. Personally I have no use for o-rings nor that quaint thumbscrew some Harley owners have never even found it is so hard to reach. A VistaCruise (around $30) or the bar-end type sold by NB ($85) are much more convenient and probably safer as well. The latter looks better on a Bonnie so I got one. Have a VC on my Harley (they make one just for Harleys that doesn't need the goofy looking boom to anchor it).