Help

  • jeffmaxfield74
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 1, 2009
      I've got most of a 500 engine & a chopped 650 frame... can I make them compatible?
    • Larry Plass
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 1, 2009
        Jeff,
        If you don't get much help here (due to mostly newer Hinckley Triumph
        owners), try http://autos.groups.yahoo.com:80/group/BonnevilleOwnersClub/ -
        they are more familiar with the Meriden bikes. Not too many choppers there,
        but they may know enough to help you. This other group that I used to
        follow has a lot of chop shop knowledge, you may try them too:
        good luck, Larry

        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 1, 2009
          It seems like the place to start would be to fabricate the engine
          plates that will mount the engine to the bike.

          Pete

          On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 8:12 AM, Larry Plass <lplass@...> wrote:
          > Jeff,
          > If you don't get much help here (due to mostly newer Hinckley Triumph
          > owners), try http://autos.groups.yahoo.com:80/group/BonnevilleOwnersClub/ -
          > they are more familiar with the Meriden bikes. Not too many choppers there,
          > but they may know enough to help you. This other group that I used to
          > follow has a lot of chop shop knowledge, you may try them too:
          > good luck, Larry

        • Jeff Maxfield
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 1, 2009
            So it definitely CAN be done?

            On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 8:12 AM, Larry Plass <lplass@comcast. net> wrote:

            > Jeff,

            > If you don't get much help here (due to mostly newer Hinckley Triumph

            > owners), try http://autos. groups.yahoo. com:80/group/ BonnevilleOwners Club/ -

            > they are more familiar with the Meriden bikes. Not too many choppers there,

            > but they may know enough to help you. This other group that I used to

            > follow has a lot of chop shop knowledge, you may try them too:

            > http://autos. groups.yahoo. com/group/ Chopperbuilders/

            > good luck, Larry

          • Robert
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 1, 2009
              If the 2 bolts line up (the one in the front and the one in the bottom of the motor) the rest will be easy.The back is mounted with a plate. 2 holes for the motor and one for the frame. I never tryed to mount a 500cc motor to a 650cc frame, let us know how it works out.

              It seems like the place to start would be to fabricate the engine

              plates that will mount the engine to the bike.

              Pete

              On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 8:12 AM, Larry Plass <lplass@comcast. net> wrote:

              > Jeff,

              > If you don't get much help here (due to mostly newer Hinckley Triumph

              > owners), try http://autos. groups.yahoo. com:80/group/ BonnevilleOwners Club/ -

              > they are more familiar with the Meriden bikes. Not too many choppers there,

              > but they may know enough to help you. This other group that I used to

              > follow has a lot of chop shop knowledge, you may try them too:

              > http://autos. groups.yahoo. com/group/ Chopperbuilders/

              > good luck, Larry

            • Mark B
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 1, 2009
                Mostly anything can be done, especially if you have a welder, cutter, and enthusiasm.
                Beer helps a lot too. Where's your spirit of adventure?

                If you are looking for a 'buy it and bolt on' application, though, I'm afraid I can't be much help.

                Mark in Harrisburg.

                ________________________________
                It seems like the place to start would be to fabricate the engine

                plates that will mount the engine to the bike.

                Pete

                On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 8:12 AM, Larry Plass <lplass@comcast. net> wrote:

                > Jeff,

                > If you don't get much help here (due to mostly newer Hinckley Triumph

                > owners), try http://autos. groups.yahoo. com:80/group/ BonnevilleOwners Club/ -

                > they are more familiar with the Meriden bikes. Not too many choppers there,

                > but they may know enough to help you. This other group that I used to

                > follow has a lot of chop shop knowledge, you may try them too:

                > http://autos. groups.yahoo. com/group/ Chopperbuilders/

                > good luck, Larry

              • Joel Marshall

                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 2, 2009
                    Meriden is where Triumphs used to be built (pre-Bloor, post war) and
                    Hinckley is where they're built now (aka new Triumph).

                    Here's a history of the brand:
                    http://www.ianchadwick.com/motorcycles/triumph/

                    Pete

                    On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 6:31 PM, Joel Marshall <mrweatherby@...> wrote:
                    > Don't want to sound dumb but came here for info what is Hinckley and or
                    > Meriden?

                  • Joel Marshall
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 2, 2009
                      Thanks Joel
                      Meriden is where Triumphs used to be built (pre-Bloor, post war) and
                      Hinckley is where they're built now (aka new Triumph).

                      Here's a history of the brand:
                      http://www.ianchadwick.com/motorcycles/triumph/

                      Pete

                      On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 6:31 PM, Joel Marshall <mrweatherby@...> wrote:
                      > Don't want to sound dumb but came here for info what is Hinckley and or
                      > Meriden?

                    • Joel Marshall
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 3, 2009
                        I went through the history of the brand it was very interesting. Thank you Joel
                        Meriden is where Triumphs used to be built (pre-Bloor, post war) and
                        Hinckley is where they're built now (aka new Triumph).

                        Here's a history of the brand:
                        http://www.ianchadwick.com/motorcycles/triumph/

                        Pete

                        On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 6:31 PM, Joel Marshall <mrweatherby@...> wrote:
                        > Don't want to sound dumb but came here for info what is Hinckley and or
                        > Meriden?

                      • snslawr
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 5, 2009
                          Except the ones built in Thailand ;-)

                          --- In triumphmotorcycleclub2@yahoogroups.com, Pete Grebus <pgrebus@...> wrote:
                          > Hinckley is where they're built now (aka new Triumph).
                        • Knobdoodle
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 5, 2009
                            Thaiumph?!!?

                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 6, 2009
                              Wish it were just a ludicrous urban myth like the one about Ducati buying Harley but this one is true...

                              http://www.fasterandfaster.net/2006/08/triumph-opens-second-plant-in-thailand.html

                              If this succeeds I fully expect

                            • mlrt95@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 6, 2009
                                The rumor about Harley buyin Ducati are false as it fell thru. However, they did obtain a controlling interestin Mv Agusta.

                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 12, 2009
                                  Was also a rumor (started as an April Fool joke) that Harley was broke and merging with Ducati just to stay afloat similar to Chrysler and Fiat. Yep the only thing true is Harley getting a piece of MV.