Dot 4 Brake fluid

  • sidney white
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2008
      I am wanting to purge my hydraulics and am finding Dot 4 Brake fluid hard to find. Can someone suggest a source. PS if anyone has an Adventurer I could use some help identifying some electrical stuff under the seat. The Haynes does not cover the Adventurer.

      Sid

    • Paul Nielsen
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2008
        Dot 4 is available everywhere?! Pep Boys, Auto Zone,
        Checkers, every Cycle Gear store..every dealership...

        That being said...do not buy DOT 5 under any
        circumstances. Unless you completely flush your
        system..and I don't mean with a good burrito...dot 5
        is not compatible with Dot4 or 3 . Dot 5.1 is Ok but
        again, flush the system.

        INMHO..

        Paul
        Galfer Brake Company
        --- sidney white <abocchi@...> wrote:

        > I am wanting to purge my hydraulics and am finding
        > Dot 4 Brake fluid hard to find. Can someone suggest
        > a source. PS if anyone has an Adventurer I could use
        > some help identifying some electrical stuff under
        > the seat. The Haynes does not cover the Adventurer.
        >
        > Sid

        > removed]

      • Robert
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2008
          As you all know I'm sure, so just a reminder do not mix synthetic oil with regualer oil

          --- sidney white <abocchi@bellsouth. net> wrote:

          > I am wanting to purge my hydraulics and am finding
          > Dot 4 Brake fluid hard to find. Can someone suggest
          > a source. PS if anyone has an Adventurer I could use
          > some help identifying some electrical stuff under
          > the seat. The Haynes does not cover the Adventurer.
          >
          > Sid

          > removed]

        • Knobdoodle
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
            As you all know I'm sure, so just a reminder do not mix synthetic oil with
            regualer oil

            What about semi-synthetic?
            --
            Clem
          • David
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
              Time to call Myth Busters!

              Why do the oil companies claim full compatability? I agree, it is
              probably not the best thing to do, but it can be done if your usual oil
              is not available.

              Dave
              --- In triumphmotorcycleclub2@yahoogroups.com, Robert <REN_art@...>

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
                I no longer own an Adventurer, but I had mine for almost 10 years, and
                there isn't too much I didn't have my hands on, and I still have full
                access to the bike (sold it to a good friend). There isn't that much
                electrical under the seat, except the battery and a few connectors. Most
                of the electrical goodies are behind the right side cover. Take a
                picture of what you have a question about and we'll see if we can help.

                Dave
                --- In triumphmotorcycleclub2@yahoogroups.com, "sidney white"

              • mlrt95@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
                  Motul or Amsoil are two of the best.

                • Ron Licciardi
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
                    most manufactures recommend a fluid change every two years ,,, its amazing how much the fluid breaks down due to moisture and heat ,,, I have two metric bikes and usually change the fluid every year ,, cheap insurance and it usually takes only a few minutes

                    and yes use only the fluid recomended do not mix them ,, also dont be shy ,,, flush the system untill the fluid is clean ,,

                    Ron

                    --- sidney white <abocchi@...> wrote:

                    > I am wanting to purge my hydraulics and am finding
                    > Dot 4 Brake fluid hard to find. Can someone suggest
                    > a source. PS if anyone has an Adventurer I could use
                    > some help identifying some electrical stuff under
                    > the seat. The Haynes does not cover the Adventurer.
                    >
                    > Sid

                    > removed]

                  • Robert
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
                      I guess I'm behind the time I never heard of a semi - synthetic.

                      As you all know I'm sure, so just a reminder do not mix synthetic oil with
                      regualer oil

                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~
                      What about semi-synthetic?
                      --
                      Clem

                    • Paul Nielsen
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
                        I have not heard of semi-synthetic either..but..DOT
                        5.1 can be used in place of DOT 4 w/o having to go to
                        a full flushing. It is still better to flush the
                        system..and as was mentioned in this thread a bit
                        earlier...you should change the fluid annually.
                        If you are in a pinch and all you can get is DOT 5.1
                        go ahead and do it..it won't cause any damage.
                        Paul
                        Galfer Brakes
                        --- Robert <REN_art@...> wrote:

                        > I guess I'm behind the time I never heard of a semi
                        > - synthetic.
                        >
                        > --- On Sun, 11/2/08, Knobdoodle
                        > <knobdoodle@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > From: Knobdoodle <knobdoodle@...>
                        > Subject: Re: [Triumph Motorcycle club] Dot 4 Brake
                        > fluid
                        > To: triumphmotorcycleclub2@yahoogroups.com
                        > Date: Sunday, November 2, 2008, 1:47 AM

                      • Knobdoodle
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                          http://www.triumph-online.co.uk/ekmps/shops/squaredealsmot/images/hi_rev_semi-synthetic_oil_mAp.jpg
                          http://www.xado.info/news/2005/xado_info_2005_05_12.jpg
                          http://www.derek.com.au/penhprgas10.jpg

                          ** note; he said "synthetic OIL"; not brake fluid. (my capitals)
                          --
                          Clem
                          >I have not heard of semi-synthetic either..but..DOT
                          > 5.1 can be used in place of DOT 4 w/o having to go to
                          > a full flushing. It is still better to flush the
                          > system..and as was mentioned in this thread a bit
                          > earlier...you should change the fluid annually.
                          > If you are in a pinch and all you can get is DOT 5.1
                          > go ahead and do it..it won't cause any damage.
                          > Paul
                          > Galfer Brakes
                          > --- Robert <REN_art@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> I guess I'm behind the time I never heard of a semi
                          >> - synthetic.
                          >>
                          >> --- On Sun, 11/2/08, Knobdoodle
                          >> <knobdoodle@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> From: Knobdoodle <knobdoodle@...>
                          >> Subject: Re: [Triumph Motorcycle club] Dot 4 Brake
                          >> fluid
                          >> To: triumphmotorcycleclub2@yahoogroups.com
                          >> Date: Sunday, November 2, 2008, 1:47 AM

                        • Mo

                            >I have not heard of semi-synthetic either..but..DOT
                            > 5.1 can be used in place of DOT 4 w/o having to go to
                            > a full flushing. It is still better to flush the
                            > system..and as was mentioned in this thread a bit
                            > earlier...you should change the fluid annually.
                            > If you are in a pinch and all you can get is DOT 5.1
                            > go ahead and do it..it won't cause any damage.
                            > Paul
                            > Galfer Brakes
                            > --- Robert <REN_art@...> wrote:
                            >
                            >> I guess I'm behind the time I never heard of a semi
                            >> - synthetic.
                            >>
                            >> --- On Sun, 11/2/08, Knobdoodle
                            >> <knobdoodle@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> From: Knobdoodle <knobdoodle@...>