1999 Sprint ST woes !!

  • darren951609
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1 2:16 AM
      Hi all, this is my first post here. I bought my Sprint a couple of
      months ago and now I am starting to find some issues.

      1) The essentric chain adjust was seized solid (See pictures in my
      album)and on further inspection it looks like the whole swingarm is
      corroded. The paint is just peeling off to reveal aluminum powdering
      away. It's not a huge problem and one that is easily fixed.

      2) The bike idles irraticly when warm, to point where the oil light
      flickers on and then the bike stalls. It also somtimes stalls when
      you come up to a juction and stop. If you change down the gears on
      approaching the junction it doesn't stall but idles irraticly and
      then stalls and so it continues.

      It has been suggested it may need remapping and possibly the idle
      valve replacing. Problem is the earliest a Triumph dealer can see
      the bike is the middle of August.

      Any idea's ???

      TIA
      Darren
    • spdtrp06
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1 6:16 AM
        --- In triumphmotorcycleclub2@yahoogroups.com, "darren951609"
        <darranna@...> wrote:

        > Hi all, this is my first post here. I bought my Sprint a couple of
        > months ago and now I am starting to find some issues.
        >
        > 1) The essentric chain adjust was seized solid (See pictures in my
        > album)and on further inspection it looks like the whole swingarm is
        > corroded. The paint is just peeling off to reveal aluminum
        powdering
        > away. It's not a huge problem and one that is easily fixed.
        >
        > 2) The bike idles irraticly when warm, to point where the oil light
        > flickers on and then the bike stalls. It also somtimes stalls when
        > you come up to a juction and stop. If you change down the gears on
        > approaching the junction it doesn't stall but idles irraticly and
        > then stalls and so it continues.
        >
        > It has been suggested it may need remapping and possibly the idle
        > valve replacing. Problem is the earliest a Triumph dealer can see
        > the bike is the middle of August.
        >
        > Any idea's ???
        >
        > TIA
        > Darren

        I assume you bought the bike used? Always start with the cheapest
        fix first, change the spark plugs. If that does'nt work at least you
        have eliminated that possibility. Checkthe air filter, and gas
        filter, it may be starving for air or gas. Do a check on the
        battery, if the battery is fried, it MAY still run, but not well.
        Anything beyond that and i'am at a loss, but at least you wont have
        to pay a high rent dealer mechanic for simple stuff. As far as the
        swingarm goes, i personally would have the whole thing taken apart
        and rebuilt. Pivot bearings, chain adj, chain, sprocket(s) and while
        your at it have the steering head bearings checked along with the
        front wheel bearings. If you are gonna keep this bike, your very
        first purchase should be a service manual. good luck.