Re: DO I BUY THIS BIKE?

  • grandpaulz
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2004
      What I have done in the past is send the seller
      a copy of the certified check for the amount
      of the purchase, made out by the bank's machine
      in HIS NAME (so that it cannot be altered, and
      can be traced by the bank) to insure that I have
      indeed irrevocably funded the purchase; then have
      the seller ship me the bike. When I receive the
      bike, I Fed-Ex the actual check, and the seller
      sends me the title and key(s) to the bike.
      It worked for me. Perhaps if the seller is shy,
      he can remove the igniter unit to dissuade you
      from hot-wiring the bike. Just a suggestion.
    • Barry Rhodes
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2004
        You are the successful bidder,you HAVE to buy it.The time to decide whether tit is a good deal ,was before you made you bids.By all means check the title,and it's the same for cars and bikes.Don't pay anyone but the owner,make him show picture ID.If there is a .llien against the bike,nake the check payable to the owner and the lienhoilder.If you don't do that,it could be stolen,or sold without the owners consent.
        I just went throug hthis with a great deal on a bike in Chicago.The seller wanted $1,000 money order,payable to him,and the balance in cash {$6,700] on delivery.Then I checked the VIN ,and it wasn't his bike !!! He represented himself as the owner all the way through,but when I asked for the VIN to check for liens,theft,etc, he wasn't the owner! !We just take it for granted that no-one would have the guts to to on eBay with someone elses bike,but he did.!
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 2, 2004
          Thanks for your note. I've tried using CARFAX to check VIN but it
          doesn't work. Is there another way to do that?

          --- In triumphmotorcycleclub2@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Rhodes"

          Service.

        • kierantaylor
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2, 2004
            I'm fine with mutual trust; just not blind trust. The arrangement
            puts all of the risk on my side versus theirs. I respect what you're
            saying about Ebay but I'll gladly take negative feedback if it saves
            me 5k.

            If you have any ideas on how to minimize my risk while successfully
            completing the transaction, Id love to hear them. For one, how do
            motorcycle VINs get checked (CARFAX doesnt support)

            --- In triumphmotorcycleclub2@yahoogroups.com, GREGORY GARON

          • kierantaylor
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2, 2004
              FANTASTIC idea. Thanks very much - Im going to run this by seller.
              Any ideas on how to check VIN? Carfax doesn't work for motorcycles...

              --- In triumphmotorcycleclub2@yahoogroups.com, "grandpaulz"
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2, 2004
                Another easy solution is to fax the seller the copy
                of the certified check, the seller sends you all the
                title and transfer paperwork (Texas requires a copy
                of the seller's picture I.D.), signed bill of sale,
                etc. THEN you send the check, then the seller sends
                you the bike. Easy enough.
              • kierantaylor
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 2, 2004
                  Great idea but he's saying he needs the check to pay the bank lein.
                  That's what's holding this up. I think Im going to have to bite the
                  bullet and drive a van down from boston to atlantic city...
                  Oh well, anything for a Sprint!

                  Thanks very much for your help!!

                  kieran

                  <grandpaulz@h...> wrote:
                  > Another easy solution is to fax the seller the copy
                  > of the certified check, the seller sends you all the
                  > title and transfer paperwork (Texas requires a copy
                  > of the seller's picture I.D.), signed bill of sale,
                  > etc. THEN you send the check, then the seller sends
                  > you the bike. Easy enough.
                • petermholmes
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 2, 2004
                    > I think Im going to have to bite the