Triumph Classics Rally

  • cafetbird
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
      --- In triumphclassics@yahoogroups.com, "cafetbird" <scotdail@i...>
      wrote:
      For those of you that do not subscribe to the TBS forum, the plans
      are coming together over there for the Triummph Classics 2004 Rally.

      The rough draft plan is early May at the Pisgah Inn near Asheville, NC

      http://www.pisgahinn.com

      There are some most excellent roads and routes here. You can cruise
      the Blue Ridge Parkway, or tackle the twisties on NC 276, NC 215 or
      NC 150. If you want to hang with the squids, Deals Gap is a little
      over an hours ride from there.

      We'll keep ya posted here. Reverend Skirt is getting the ball
      rolling. Anyone that wants to help squeak up!

      Scot Dail
      Charlotte RAT
      http://www.queensrats.cjb.net
    • Jerry
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2003
        > There are some most excellent roads and routes here. You can cruise
        > the Blue Ridge Parkway, or tackle the twisties on NC 276, NC 215 or
        > NC 150. If you want to hang with the squids, Deals Gap is a little
        > over an hours ride from there.

        How many rooms are there at the Pisgah? My better-half is not too
        enthused as there doesn't not look like much for her to do near the
        Pisgah. I may have to come alone but it will be a 700 mile ride.
        I'm a little dissapointed that Deal's Gap is an hour away, but I
        suppose it's a "nice" hour? I can't go 700 miles and not at least
        walk the dragon ;o)

        - Jerry
      • reverendskirt
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2003
          http://www.pisgahinn.com/

          Its a superb one hour ride, but if you guys have other suggestions lay them on us.
          Remember, this is a riding rally, not a tourist rally.

          ~ reverend Skirt (Larry)

          --- In triumphmotorcycleclub2@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry" <jcatbert@a...> wrote:
          > > There are some most excellent roads and routes here. You can cruise
          > > the Blue Ridge Parkway, or tackle the twisties on NC 276, NC 215 or
          > > NC 150. If you want to hang with the squids, Deals Gap is a little
          > > over an hours ride from there.
          > >

          > How many rooms are there at the Pisgah? My better-half is not too
          > enthused as there doesn't not look like much for her to do near the
          > Pisgah. I may have to come alone but it will be a 700 mile ride.
          > I'm a little dissapointed that Deal's Gap is an hour away, but I
          > suppose it's a "nice" hour? I can't go 700 miles and not at least
          > walk the dragon ;o)
          >
          > - Jerry
        • reverendskirt
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2003
            Well, its decided. The T3 Classics Rally is the weekend of May 7th.

            Cheers,
            Reverend Skirt (Larry)

            --- In triumphmotorcycleclub2@yahoogroups.com, reverendskirt <no_reply@y...>
            wrote:
            > http://www.pisgahinn.com/
            >
            > Its a superb one hour ride, but if you guys have other suggestions lay them on us.
            > Remember, this is a riding rally, not a tourist rally.
            >
            > ~ reverend Skirt (Larry)
            >

            > --- In triumphmotorcycleclub2@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry" <jcatbert@a...> wrote:
            > > > There are some most excellent roads and routes here. You can cruise
            > > > the Blue Ridge Parkway, or tackle the twisties on NC 276, NC 215 or
            > > > NC 150. If you want to hang with the squids, Deals Gap is a little
            > > > over an hours ride from there.
            > > >

            > > How many rooms are there at the Pisgah? My better-half is not too
            > > enthused as there doesn't not look like much for her to do near the
            > > Pisgah. I may have to come alone but it will be a 700 mile ride.
            > > I'm a little dissapointed that Deal's Gap is an hour away, but I
            > > suppose it's a "nice" hour? I can't go 700 miles and not at least
            > > walk the dragon ;o)
            > >
            > > - Jerry
          • cafetbird
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 4, 2003
              Jerry et al:

              Deals Gap is highly overated. Let us locals show you some roads that
              you can truely enjoy! This place was selected on purpose just to get
              away from craziness there...

              Not to say the Dragon is not a challeging road. It has just become
              so popular that you can hardly enjoy riding it on a weekend. Squids
              are crossing center and riding like maniacs, cops are all over it
              like flys on a turd. It just isn't any fun anymore. If you want to
              ride it, my suggestion is to come down earlier in the week and do it
              before the the squids & fuzz arrive.

              There are a few fun little roads near Pisgah that you will truely
              enjoy. The NC276 and NC215 loop is a great ride. There is a little
              known route - NC150 that is just as twisty and fun as 129 in some
              folks opinions. It is also great to take leasurely cruise down the
              BRP in the early evening or morning over through Graveyard Fields and
              the Devils Courthouse area.

              As for "anything to do" near the Pisgah (other than ride), unless you
              like to hike, you are correct- not much. This used to be the hunting
              reserve of the Vanderbilts and it is a fairly remote area. It is a
              great place to relax! Asheville is not far away and is a trendy sort
              of place in an earthy way. It has good shopping, so maybe you would
              like to stay there and ride up so SWMBO can hang out at the shops.

              Scot Dail
              Charlotte RAT
              http://www.queensrats.cjb.net

              <jcatbert@a...> wrote:
              > > There are some most excellent roads and routes here. You can
              cruise
              > > the Blue Ridge Parkway, or tackle the twisties on NC 276, NC 215
              or
              > > NC 150. If you want to hang with the squids, Deals Gap is a little
              > > over an hours ride from there.
              > >

              > How many rooms are there at the Pisgah? My better-half is not too
              > enthused as there doesn't not look like much for her to do near the
              > Pisgah. I may have to come alone but it will be a 700 mile ride.
              > I'm a little dissapointed that Deal's Gap is an hour away, but I
              > suppose it's a "nice" hour? I can't go 700 miles and not at least
              > walk the dragon ;o)
              >
              > - Jerry
            • Jerry
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 4, 2003

                > Deals Gap is highly overated. Let us locals show you some roads
                that
                > you can truely enjoy! This place was selected on purpose just to
                get
                > away from craziness there...

                Sounds good to me Scot. You are the "local" and would know best. We
                will be the tourists ;o)

                My wife won't be coming and she really wants me to go so barring
                an "Act of God" I should be there. I'm mostly a loaner rider and use
                my bike whenever I can. I've done one "rally" (benefit) and I've
                certainly ridden with 2 or 3 others but this will be my first real
                excursion or venture away from my "nest". I'm looking forward to it
                and will pack plenty of extra underwear ;o) Maybe I can hook up with
                Peter and Alec (100 or so miles north of me) for the ride down.

                - Jerry
              • petermholmes
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 4, 2003
                  > Maybe I can hook up with Peter and Alec
                  > (100 or so miles north of me) for the ride
                  > down.

                  Depending on where you are in NJ, we could meet you just East of the
                  intersection of I-88 and 17, or perhaps at an I-81 intersection that's
                  convenient for you.
                • snslawr
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 4, 2003
                    Looks more like a 900-miler for me. Oh well, guess I could lollygag
                    here and there and manage to stretch it into a day's ride ;-)

                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 4, 2003
                      We're going to be riding a lot of the roads around there and we'll only to the Dragon
                      once so folks that haven't can check it off their "roads to ride" list.

                      Scot and I have no desire to be surrounded by squids, and I doubt anyone else
                      attending this rally doeseither .

                      Cheers

                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 4, 2003
                        > We're going to be riding a lot of the roads around there and we'll
                        only to the Dragon
                        > once so folks that haven't can check it off their "roads to ride"
                        list.

                        > Scot and I have no desire to be surrounded by squids, and I doubt
                        anyone else
                        > attending this rally doeseither .
                        >
                        > Cheers

                        I just scraped this off there web-site, is this bad news for us?

                        IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
                        The Blue Ridge Parkway has elected to discontinue the sale of
                        gasoline next season at the Mount Pisgah concession facility located
                        at mile post 408.(does this sound like I wrote this?) The reason for
                        our(the National Park Service) decision is to eliminate the
                        possibility of leaks or a major spill in this very environmentally
                        sensitive area of the Parkway.Signs will be posted north and south
                        reminding travelers that gas is no longer available at Mount Pisgah.
                        The Park regrets any inconvienience that may be caused...but we feel
                        it is imperative to act in favor of this delicate environment. Any
                        comments should be addressed to the Superintendent of the Blue Ridge
                        Parkway.