Blast!

  • t309st <lplass1@maine.rr.com>
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 1, 2003
      Hey, not to bring up Hank's favorite brand, but has anyone tried out
      one of those crappy Buell Blasts(or were you afraid your friends
      might see you)? In my neverending quest to get my 5'3" wife on a
      cheap bike that is not 20 years old, I have reluctantly begun looking
      at the tiny Blast. I want her to be more than confident putting her
      feet down, and I wouldn't lose any sleep if she knocked it over.
      Also, it is not a mini-cruiser with forward controls. I know they
      are way underpowered and she would be sick of it by the end of her
      first summer, but that's okay. I'll get her a nicer bike when we
      move to a house and she is sure she likes riding. As you know, I
      wanted a W650, but they go for $4k on ebay, if you can find them.
      The Blasts seem to be stuck at $2k and are very new, usually 1k miles
      or less(probably because they suck). So, just how terrible are these
      things? I know non of you tough Triumph riders would think much of
      them, but would they do for a 1-season intro bike for my wife? I sat
      on one at the IMS show(notice I DIDN'T post a picture of that), but
      have never ridden one. thanks, Larry
    • Alec Gore
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 1, 2003
        Larry,

        Can't you find her a Suzuki SV650. I'm sure they're manageable for a
        5'3" lady with a reasonable amount of confidence, even if she's just a
        beginner. We've had several people in our Sunday morning ride start out
        on those and done rather well.

        Regards

        Alec

      • n_maher
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 1, 2003
          Larry,

          Why not go looking for a Suzuki GS500 or something like that? That's
          what many poepole that I know have learned on. No plastic to break,
          small, light, actually have a little bit of power, easy to find
          used. That particular bike also has decent aftermarket stuff if you
          wanted to hop it up and turn it into a long term bike.

          As far as the Blast goes I have no experience other than what I've
          read which basically can be summed up as, "The Blast is about as
          exciting as riding a lawn mower. Even beginning riders will outgrow
          this motorcycle very quickly." Or something like that.

          Take it easy,

          Nate
        • jcatbert@aol.com
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 1, 2003
            SV650 would be my bike of choice over the Buell.

          • Tom's Email
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 1, 2003
              SV650, now that is why the Japanese have made such success here in America.
              Good bikes, affordable, great to learn on and fun to ride.

              I can speak for me, my pals in my local MC and others, we have all learned
              on UJM's.

              T-Bone

              Please visit our website.

              www.militarygifts.com
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 1, 2003
                I agree that both the SV650 and GS500 are far superior motorcycles. I
                suspect they may be too high for her, but I will drag her down to my Triumph
                dealer who also sells Suzuki and have her sit on them. They are probably a
                good 5" higher than the Blast. The Bonnie was just a bit tool high and
                heavy. I guess I could have Sargent lower the seats on some bikes, and
                possibly lower the bikes themselves. The Ducati Monster 620 is probably not
                a bad bike and lower than other Monsters, but too expensive.

                I really wish Triumph would come out with an entry level bike, like a 500cc
                single or twin. It would be a good move for them. The Bonnie America is
                low enough, but too heavy and foot-forward. Thanks for your input. Still
                looking for that sucker who has ridden a Blast? - Larry

                > SV650 would be my bike of choice over the Buell.
              • Eric, Californian in Virginia
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 1, 2003
                  I think it depends on his woman.

                  Some women, and some people, get on a bike and as their torso moves back as it takes
                  off, they naturaly twist the throttle wide open and eat shit.

                  If his wife has riden bikes before, perhaps in the dirt, she might be ok on a bike as
                  fast as an SV 650. If not, she could get into trouble fast.

                  Those SV's are NOT slow bikes.

                  Better to replace too small a bike in a short period of time after safely learning how to
                  ride, than go through one dump on too much bike and get soured on riding all together.

                  Even a dump at 25 mph on an SV 650 is going to hurt, especialy if someone pulls out in
                  front of a truck. A person could dump a small duel purpose bike ten times in a day on
                  grass and still come up laughing.

                  If his wife has zero experiance, and is not real apt at riding, he should get or barrow
                  a small duel purpose bike or a dirt bike and take her to a nice soft grass field for a
                  few days first to make sure she can handle the controls of the machine.

                  Some MSF courses are also designed for this level of rider.

                  Those Blasts are almost perfect for the person who has never riden ANY motorcycle before.
                  Adjustable seat height, light weight, and cheap as hell.

                  When I was a kid I learned to ride the street on Yamaha DT 125, then an R5 350.

                  I think a Blast would beat either bike in every catagory, I probably would have died on
                  an SV.

                  Hell, I bet I could still humble the majority of riders on a Blast? Now THAT would be
                  embarassing for them. HHHHMMMMMMnnnnnnnn.....Maybe I should get myself one?

                  There is one at my local HD dealer[where I got my Trident]that is totaly tricked out.

                  http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                • jsr993@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 1, 2003
                    In a message dated 2/1/03 11:56:57 AM Mountain Standard Time,
                    sphynctmus@... writes:

                    << Some MSF courses are also designed for this level of rider.

                    Those Blasts are almost perfect for the person who has never riden ANY
                    motorcycle before. >>

                    A lot of HD dealers have a new program called the Rider's Edge...for first
                    time riders...and they learn on Buell Blasts. That might be a better idea
                    than buying her a bike first... Have her take that class and see how she
                    likes the bike while she learns how to ride a motorcycle..
                    Colorado Jeff
                  • Larry Plass
                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 1, 2003
                      Thanks Jeff, that's a good idea. I tried to get her into the MSF course
                      last year, but after a week of trying to get through on the phone, we got
                      nowhere, and I know it will be worse this year - they are way overbooked.
                      I'll check the local HD dealer for this program, maybe it's more accessible,
                      and she can try the bike for herself. thanks, Larry

                    • jsr993@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 1, 2003
                        In a message dated 2/1/03 7:46:49 PM Mountain Standard Time,
                        lplass1@... writes:

                        << I'll check the local HD dealer for this program, maybe it's more
                        accessible,
                        and she can try the bike for herself. thanks, Larry

                        The Rider's Edge program is still pretty new..but I looked at the
                        curriculum..and it's outstanding...

                        Colorado Jeff
                      • jcatbert@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 2, 2003
                          Follow the links to rider training.<A HREF="http://www.msf-usa.org/">

                          http://www.msf-usa.org/</A>

                          The web site is pretty good, you should even be able to see what classes are
                          open. You can always be put on a list because sometimes people cancel.

                        • PG Peter Grebus (5338)
                          Message 12 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
                            My wife is 5'7" and she was on her toes on an sv650 at the motorcycle show
                            this weekend. She sat on every small bike there and was happiest with the
                            Duc Monster 620. They're 7K new, though...

                            Pete

                            Message 13 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
                              In a message dated 2/3/03 6:10:06 AM Pacific Standard Time, pgrebus@...
                              writes:

                              > My wife is 5'7" and she was on her toes on an sv650 at the motorcycle show
                              > this weekend. She sat on every small bike there and was happiest with the
                              > Duc Monster 620. They're 7K new, though...

                              Yeah....would depend on a person's inseam. Some people are long in the body
                              and shorter on the inseam. I'll bet the SV can be lowered an inch or two? I
                              guess a seat change would be the best way of doing that since it wouldn't
                              affect the bike's geometry and handling.

                            • PG Peter Grebus (5338)
                              Message 14 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
                                Another bike to look for is the Honda Hawk - the 650 GT. I have a few short
                                friends that ride these. The shortest is my friend Rebecca, who is 5'2".
                                Her bike is set up with the minimum amount of suspension travel, but is
                                stock in terms of seat, etc. There are 3 on ebay right now.

                                Pete

                                http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2401857107&cat
                                egory=6708

                                Message 15 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
                                  re: GB500 - very cool/nice, too expensive.

                                  re: SV650 - yup, too tall, otherwise I would have snapped up one yesterday
                                  on ebay - 1k miles, like new, went for only $3600!!!! whatabahgain. I
                                  would have enjoyed visiting redline on that myself!

                                  re: GS500 - need her to sit on one, suspect a little too tall.

                                  re: Hawk - excellent bikes, I have ridden a friends whose girlfriend was
                                  learning on it, maybe a little tall. I just posted a bid for that one on
                                  ebay. I assume it will go for more though, they generally sell for 2k+.

                                  thanks to everyone here for the excellent feedback and letting me pollute
                                  the forum with non-triumph content. Again, why don't they come out with an
                                  entry-level bike? I bet they would sell buttloads to men/women who want
                                  something cool to learn on. Not many cool bikes in the entry level class!

                                  thanks again, Larry
                                • Alec Gore
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
                                    This thread is starting to get to me again .....
                                    deep breath ....

                                    I don't buy the assumption behind it that you
                                    have to be able to put both feet flat on the
                                    floor to be able to begin riding motorcycles
                                    with confidence. She can ride a pushbike without
                                    stabilisers can't she? She does know how to
                                    balance? M/cs don't need anyone shuffling their
                                    feet along the floor on either side to stay up.
                                    They do that all by themselves, even without a
                                    rider for some considerable time.

                                    All newbies need to learn is how to put ONE foot
                                    down firmly flat (preferably) on the floor -
                                    usually the left foot (although that needn't be
                                    written in stone). A triangle formed by one leg
                                    firmly planted=the ground=the bike is far
                                    preferable to tiptoeing between feet with the
                                    bike wobbling in the middle. Provided the rider
                                    is of minimal strength and the bike is not too
                                    heavy (less than 500lbs) it can be leant 20
                                    degrees or so without any danger of it going
                                    down.

                                    I've said it before and will again: Here in HK
                                    we regularly take non-riders, Chinese male and
                                    female officers, who can be as short as 5'0" /
                                    5'2" and weigh less than 120lbs and train them
                                    to ride police bikes in 4-5 weeks. That's Honda
                                    CBX750s weighing 650lbs with full kit on! After
                                    a year of that we'll let them ride BMW850RTs
                                    which are 100lbs heavier.

                                    Of course long legs are an advantage, but short
                                    legs needn't be a disadvantage. Remember: ONE
                                    leg, shift in the seat on stopping and firmly
                                    plant one foot PARALLEL to the bike.

                                    End of sermon :)

                                    Regards

                                    Alec

[...]

                                    to:
                                    om

                                    Yahoo! Terms of Service
                                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                                  • PG Peter Grebus (5338)
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
                                      Yeah, Alec, but they're learning on someone else's bike. ;)

                                      My wife could barely get her toes down on most of the bikes she sat on, and
                                      I don't want her to be worrying about it when she'll have so much other
                                      stuff on her mind when she starts riding.

                                      All the other crap on these lists, and this is what gets your blood boiling?

                                      Pete

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
                                        << I don't want her to be worrying about it
                                        when she'll have so much other
                                        stuff on her mind when she starts riding. >>

                                        And therein lies the key. It's not a matter of
                                        either physique or physical strength. It's all
                                        about a positive mindset. In NLP we teach a
                                        concept that your mind cannot process a
                                        negative: picture what you don't want and guess
                                        what you get! Picture, think or say to yourself,
                                        "I mustn't drop this bike" and notice what
                                        happens. Say to yourself I'm going to ride this
                                        bike easily and enjoy doing so and where's the
                                        worry gone.

                                        Good training will break the process down into
                                        stages that a person can take in without
                                        psychological overload. From what little I know
                                        of MSF, they do just that.

                                        All the other crap on these lists, and this is
                                        what gets your blood boiling?

                                        Not exactly boiling, but the false assumption
                                        being made had gone on long enough.

                                        As an aside to this, I've just been looking at
                                        the different websites for Honda in Japan, UK,
                                        and USA. I did so because no one had mentioned
                                        bikes that I'm familiar with as excellent
                                        starters, e.g. CB400 / CB500 etc. UK doesn't
                                        have the 400 and USA has neither. Strange.

                                        Regards

                                        Alec

                                      • Mike
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
                                          --- Larry Plass <lplass1@...> wrote:
                                          Not many cool bikes in
                                          > the entry level class!
                                          >
                                          > thanks again, Larry

                                          My first bike, only $150!

                                          http://www.extremezone.com/~mgtorrey/images/1st_motercycle_a1.jpg

                                          =====
                                          Mike
                                          00 Adventurer
                                          01 XL1200S

                                          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                                        • Eric, Californian in Virginia
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
                                            Alec wrote:

                                            "CB400 / CB500 etc. UK doesn't
                                            have the 400 and USA has neither. Strange.

                                            Regards"

                                            Alec

                                            Not real strange when you consider that over here the marketing is geared toward
                                            Cruisers. Check out how many Cruisers we get, that the UK and you and everyone else
                                            doesn't.

                                            If someone learned how to ride on a CB 400[we used to get them, and I have a `78 model
                                            now]they would hardly be satisfied with any Cruiser later, since a CB 400 has more
                                            performance, comfort, and practicality, than the vast majority of Cruisers that get
                                            pawned off on us.
                                            Once someone learned to ride on an actual Motorcycle, no Cruiser would ever do.

                                            Cruisers don't have to have decent brakes, or adjustable and quality suspension, don't
                                            have to be developed and tested and refined year after year after year, no need to field
                                            a Race team either for advertising.
                                            Cruisers can just have the same styling and low grade componentry model year after model
                                            year.

                                            It's the same type thing that is going on with SUV's, SUV's compared to cars are way
                                            behind the times.
                                            Live axle outdated leaf spring suspension, low quality brakes[even drum brakes in some
                                            cases], less testing and refinement, but they sell hard because it's the style
                                            consumers are buying not the performance, comfort, or practicality.
                                            It costs the car manufacturer allot less to come out with a new SUV, compared to a Car,
                                            and the profits are much higher since they aren't made with leading edge technology or
                                            developed to the same level.

                                            It costs the bike manufacturers allot less to come out with Cruisers, and the profits
                                            are much higher because they aren't made with expensive suspension or braking components
                                            and aren't overly tested or refined continualy.
                                            They can make simple styling changes with Cruisers and garner increased sales, why would
                                            they want to promote people learning to ride on *Real* Motorcycles that later in their
                                            riding developement would demand ACTUAL performance, comfort, or practicality
                                            enhancements that require costly testing, and endless refinement.

                                            The Bike Manufacturers of course want to do anything they can to influence the new riders
                                            into being Cruiser Sheep that are satisfied with mediocraty and stagnation, thats why
                                            they limit the small bikes in the standard and performance segment over here.

                                            This is also why they limit the "Standard" bikes we get too, they just don't want their
                                            Cash Cow Cruisers to deminish.

                                            Too many "Standards", and decent[non Cruiser]entry level bikes, would lead some of the
                                            Cruiser Sheep to *Real* bikes that have lower profit margins.

                                            It all makes perfect sense to me.

                                            Push the product that has the highest return, and foster the values of form over
                                            function to ensure continued support of these returns.

                                            =====

                                            "A Man cannot be measured on Gerth and Length alone....." Sphynctmus

                                            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                                          • Eric, Californian in Virginia
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
                                              That bike is Cool Mike.

                                              Motocross bars and all. You can't even get any Moto bars that big any more.

                                              You had a 2-1 exhaust system as well, cool.

                                              My first bike was a Honda Mini Trail 50, when I was knee high to a Bullfrog, and still
                                              shitting my pants on a regular basis.

                                              Back when "Bonanza" was Must see TV, and Man had never left a print on the Moon.

                                              =====

                                              "A Man cannot be measured on Gerth and Length alone....." Sphynctmus

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
                                                What about a used Bonnie T100? There must be some ou there and Triumph's
                                                resale is so bad....maybe get a good deal?

                                              • snslawr
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
                                                  The cruiser haters here are going to "Blast" this idea if they
                                                  haven't already, BUT since you're saying all those other beginner
                                                  bikes may be too tall consider a Suzuki Savage 650 if the ebay thing
                                                  falls thru. It's a little laid-back cruiser-style thing, not exactly
                                                  a canyon carver but plenty of user-friendly low-end grunt and it is
                                                  the definition of *low* seat height. Shouldn't be hard to find a
                                                  used one either cuz they've been around for many years.

                                                  --- In triumphmotorcycleclub2@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Plass"
                                                  <lplass1@m...> wrote:
                                                  > re: SV650 - yup, too tall, otherwise I would have snapped up one
                                                  yesterday
                                                  > on ebay - 1k miles, like new, went for only $3600!!!!
                                                  whatabahgain. I
                                                  > would have enjoyed visiting redline on that myself!
                                                  >
                                                  > re: GS500 - need her to sit on one, suspect a little too tall.
                                                  >
                                                  > re: Hawk - excellent bikes, I have ridden a friends whose
                                                  girlfriend was
                                                  > learning on it, maybe a little tall. I just posted a bid for that
                                                  one on
                                                  > ebay. I assume it will go for more though, they generally sell for
                                                  2k+.

                                                  > thanks to everyone here for the excellent feedback and letting me
                                                  pollute
                                                  > the forum with non-triumph content. Again, why don't they come out
                                                  with an
                                                  > entry-level bike? I bet they would sell buttloads to men/women who
                                                  want
                                                  > something cool to learn on. Not many cool bikes in the entry level
                                                  class!

                                                  > thanks again, Larry
                                                • snslawr
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
                                                    Do that and you just got a promotion with stock options, of course.

                                                    I'm sure that's why NO Japanese manufacturer has made a truly entry-
                                                    level std as cool as a GB500 (+back seat, neutral riding position,
                                                    luggage & screen accomodation etc. that newbies & commuters expect).
                                                    Such a bike could be a beat-the-doors-sown success (I mean, what have
                                                    they got to choose from now?) The W650 missed that mark by a mile
                                                    including weight that should be well under 400lb and a MSRP that
                                                    should be well under $5K. Suzuki could do it easiest by remodeling
                                                    the GS500 to be a retro-classic standard instead of looking like the
                                                    raffle prize at a yawning festival.

                                                    But there's a reason they have the Rebel, Marauder 250, baby Virago
                                                    etc. H-D doesn't have to worry with Blast! buyers. They are already
                                                    at the H-D dealer and profit is the only direction they can go.

                                                    --- In triumphmotorcycleclub2@yahoogroups.com, "Eric, Californian in
                                                    Virginia" <sphynctmus@y...> wrote:
                                                    > Push the product that has the highest return, and foster the
                                                    values of form over
                                                    > function to ensure continued support of these returns.
                                                  • Ken Mitchell
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
                                                      I can't believe you're all overlooking the most serious reason NOT to by the
                                                      Harley product:

                                                      It's NAME!

                                                      A friend had bought one for his wife. One ride and he said: "I get it now.
                                                      It's the Be-Last! This thing is unbelieveably heavy and slow." However, it
                                                      does have one of the lowest available seat heights. The Monster 620 is THE
                                                      choice if one can afford it. Power, performance, low weight, and TONS of
                                                      "cool".

                                                      BTW, I had the occasional to speak with John Bloor at the motorcycle show
                                                      in NYC, in 2001. They had just unveiled the new version of the Daytona and
                                                      he was standing back, very discreetly observing reactions. My youngest boy,
                                                      then 11, was with me, and he had a poster of the new TT600 in his hands,
                                                      telling Bloor the TT "will be my first bike." Both Bloor and I warned him
                                                      that it's not the best "first ride", so I took the opportunity to ask Bloor
                                                      if he would consider making a true beginner bike, "How about a 400cc Triumph
                                                      Cub?" He replied that it wasn't something they had considered, "but now that
                                                      you mention it, there is a market for that sort of bike." No commitment, no
                                                      other comment.

                                                      Bloor signed the poster for Brian, and disappeared.

                                                      Ken M.
                                                      (a.k.a. "name dropper")
                                                      '00 RS
                                                      Spencer MA
                                                    • Larry Plass
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
                                                        oh yes, the monster 620ie, the holy grail of bikes to buy the wife... low
                                                        seat, tres cool, she loves it, I like it, good companion for my speed
                                                        triple...saw a new one still in a crate on ebay, currently $5200...feeling
                                                        weak...credit card...within my reach...reserve met...one day, 16 hours left
                                                        in auction...
                                                        dammit, even my wife doesn't deserve that nice a bike to knock over as her
                                                        first! you gots to pay your dues and have a crappy bike first methinks.
                                                        Maybe next year...Bloor better smarten up. - Larry
                                                        p.s. if anyone is interested in the new 620, let me know quickly.

                                                        > A friend had bought one for his wife. One ride and he said: "I get it now.
                                                        > It's the Be-Last! This thing is unbelieveably heavy and slow." However, it
                                                        > does have one of the lowest available seat heights. The Monster 620 is THE
                                                        > choice if one can afford it. Power, performance, low weight, and TONS of
                                                        > "cool".
                                                        >
                                                        > BTW, I had the occasional to speak with John Bloor at the motorcycle show
                                                        > in NYC, in 2001. They had just unveiled the new version of the Daytona and
                                                        > he was standing back, very discreetly observing reactions. My youngest
                                                        boy,
                                                        > then 11, was with me, and he had a poster of the new TT600 in his hands,
                                                        > telling Bloor the TT "will be my first bike." Both Bloor and I warned him
                                                        > that it's not the best "first ride", so I took the opportunity to ask
                                                        Bloor
                                                        > if he would consider making a true beginner bike, "How about a 400cc
                                                        Triumph
                                                        > Cub?" He replied that it wasn't something they had considered, "but now
                                                        that
                                                        > you mention it, there is a market for that sort of bike." No commitment,
                                                        no
                                                        > other comment.
                                                        >
                                                        > Bloor signed the poster for Brian, and disappeared.
                                                        >
                                                        > Ken M.
                                                        > (a.k.a. "name dropper")
                                                        > '00 RS
                                                        > Spencer MA
                                                      • Larry Plass
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
                                                          Another good suggestion, I like the look of the engine, and they are cheap.
                                                          The only minus to me is the forward controls, not so good for a beginner(or
                                                          anyone) in my opinion. Boy, am I a picky bastard. thanks, Larry

                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Feb 3, 2003
                                                            I was looking for a newer Bonnie, thinking I could have Sargent cut the seat
                                                            down. She likes them, but a bit heavy for a newbie of her stature, and they
                                                            actually seem to be holding their value quite well, often outselling the
                                                            bigger Triumphs? go figure. A definite maybe for her next bike though, if
                                                            she takes to riding. Maybe by then the mystical cafe version will appear, I
                                                            thought we'd see it this year. Those triumph guys are nothin' but crack
                                                            smokin' hippies.

                                                            I'm really sorry(well, maybe just "kinda sorry") to dominate the forum with
                                                            this mission, but it has generated some interesting options for a first bike
                                                            I think... thanks, Larry

                                                            > What about a used Bonnie T100? There must be some ou there and Triumph's
                                                            > resale is so bad....maybe get a good deal?
                                                          • triumph900
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Feb 6, 2003
                                                              My wife is 5'2" and has a 2001 Ducati Monster 600, and a 1999 Triumph
                                                              Legend. You should be able to find a Legend in the $4-5K range
                                                              (used, good shape). You could install a shorter rear shock which
                                                              would help also.

                                                              --- In triumphmotorcycleclub2@yahoogroups.com, "t309st