Re: [Triumph Motorcycle club] Suspension Components

  • Larry Plass
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2002
      I have the race tech springs(.85 kg for my 150 lbs) and gold valves and
      recently installed the Ohlins on the back(bought from Wim Kroon Imports).
      Both transformed the bike. Also switched to Silkolene RSF oil in the fork.
      As I've recommended earlier, the front improvements are the first ones I
      would do first, made a major difference. The Ohlins is pricey as well, but
      keeps things in control, yet smooth, and all 3 adjustments can be done in
      seconds with no tools. Other people have tried the Hagon shock with good
      results, for less money. - Larry
    • Brian Schlaadt
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 28, 2002
        Larry,
        Are you still around?
        What are the 3 adjustments you can make on the Ohlins shock.?
        What is the Ohlins model?
        What model triumph do you ride?
        I know Ohlins recommend the model 46ERS For the Thunderbird and has Preload and Rebound adjustment only as I understand.
        The New Zealand agent says that the TR 504 model is the correct model but I don't see it listed in any Ohlins web sites.
        I have a Legend.
        I have the race tech springs(.85 kg for my 150 lbs) and gold valves and
        recently installed the Ohlins on the back(bought from Wim Kroon Imports).
        Both transformed the bike. Also switched to Silkolene RSF oil in the fork.
        As I've recommended earlier, the front improvements are the first ones I
        would do first, made a major difference. The Ohlins is pricey as well, but
        keeps things in control, yet smooth, and all 3 adjustments can be done in
        seconds with no tools. Other people have tried the Hagon shock with good
        results, for less money. - Larry

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Alec Gore
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 28, 2002
          Brian

          I'll jump in before Larry!

          The TR504 is the Ohlins model number and the 46ERS is their "type"
          number. They are one and the same and the only Ohlins model available
          for the Classics, as far as I know. From their website:

          Öhlins shock absorber

          Part No.

          <http://www.theroad.com.hk/_images/clear.gif>

          Type

          <http://www.theroad.com.hk/_images/clear.gif>

          Position

          <http://www.theroad.com.hk/_images/clear.gif>

          TR 504

          <http://www.theroad.com.hk/_images/clear.gif>

          46ERS

          <http://www.theroad.com.hk/_images/clear.gif>

          Rear

          <http://www.theroad.com.hk/_images/clear.gif>

          • Emulsion-type shock absorber with rebound adjuster.
          • Fits bikes where there is no room for an external reservoir.
          • Hose mounted adjuster knob, easy to fit where it is easy to reach.
          • 12 mm adjustment range to compensate for extra luggage and/or a
          passenger

          Regards

          Alec

          I have the race tech springs(.85 kg for my 150 lbs) and gold valves
          and
          recently installed the Ohlins on the back(bought from Wim Kroon
          Imports).
          Both transformed the bike. Also switched to Silkolene RSF oil in the
          fork.
          As I've recommended earlier, the front improvements are the first ones
          would do first, made a major difference. The Ohlins is pricey as
          well, but
          keeps things in control, yet smooth, and all 3 adjustments can be done
          in
          seconds with no tools. Other people have tried the Hagon shock with
          good
          results, for less money. - Larry

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=234081.2711418.4084139.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=1705
          126259:HM/A=1328027/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4870030;7586687;u
          ?http://www.ameriquestmortgage.com/welcome.html?ad=Yahoo01>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=234081.2711418.4084139.1925585/D=egrou
          pmail/S=:HM/A=1328027/rand=540424982>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Eric, Risk Taker......
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 28, 2002
            Some info in here may also be of interest

          • Larry Plass
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 28, 2002
              Brian,
              I have a '95 speed triple. At the Wim Kroon site where I purchased mine:
              http://www.ohlins.nl/kroon.htm
              they list the TR 504 for the Tbird, no listing for the Legend, maybe it's
              the same. It shows only preload and rebound damping, but that should be
              okay as the additional compression damping adjustment on mine mostly affects
              low speed bump absorbtion only and I usually have it pretty backed off -
              preload and rebound damping are the 2 key adjustments you want. I guess if
              I were you I would verify whether the Tbird and Legend share the same basic
              shock before I ordered. I know the Legend has a lower seat height, but the
              shock may be the same. - Larry