Re: [Triumph 955i Daytona] Digest Number 54

  • Jeff Richards
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2003
      I am a little behind in email but hope this is still
      relevent.

      I've had a 955i (2000) for 18 mooths and still adore
      it - 1lite power, good looking and it has the carbon
      race pipe. No other mods ecept rear light/plate is
      small and crash bungs. It's tall for me (5'7") but I
      manage. A feature is the hot frame that transmits heat
      to you when it gets hot after riding - so thick
      trowsers wont be necesary. It is not rated as well as
      some of the Japanese race bikes, but truth be told
      unless you are a racer I defy you to nottice or even
      worry about it in the real world. I ride mine with
      stock settings, as a medium rider without any track
      day aspirations (yet). I used to ride a Honda VTR
      Firestorm (V-twin "soft" sports bike) and the 955 is
      much more aggresive, sharp and has amamzinf brakes and
      has more race-feel to the riding postion (ie wrist
      ache and leg's are tucked up tight). I dont ride for
      more than an hour before stopping for rest/strecthing.
      That may be 'cos I'm 36 but it's a race-rep bike so
      touring is not its design intent. The RS is a better
      option I expect for that.

      I have nevver heard it described as a souped up 600 -
      it feels like a 1l bike and has more than enuf pulling
      power IMHO. But I'm biased.

      The under-seat exhaust looks amazing - they all do in
      my expereince BUT beware you will have to undertake
      serious mods to proetct the under seat area from
      excess heat and possibly loose some travel in the
      suspension too. A variety of stories imply engine
      power is sapped. There is a UK firm designing a high
      quality under-seat unit (they say) - see the archive
      on the web site.

      Jeff, UK.

      --- triumph955idaytona@yahoogroups.com wrote: >

      > There are 3 messages in this issue.
      >
      > Topics in this digest:
      >
      > 1. 2003 955 Daytona
      > From: "rudejoejr" <rudejoejr@...>
      > 2. Re: 2003 955 Daytona
      > From: Malcolm Van Dyke
      > <malvandyke@...>
      > 3. 'Tona!
      > From: "bsafrankiii"
      > <BSA-FRANK@...>

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 19:01:14 -0000
      > From: "rudejoejr" <rudejoejr@...>
      > Subject: 2003 955 Daytona
      >
      > Hi Everyone,
      >
      > I am new to the list. I currently own a 1999 Sprint
      > ST, which I
      > love, but I think I am ready to upgrade to a new
      > Daytona 955. I just
      > love the look of the Daytona, especially the
      > attractive single sided
      > swingarm and the throaty pur of the engine. I've
      > been searching for
      > reviews on the bike, but I haven't come across too
      > many. The few
      > that I have read weren't very flattering. I decided
      > to look for some
      > input from people who actually ride the bike. So, I
      > guess my
      > question is, does the bike handle/perform well?
      > I've seen it
      > compared to the new Japaneese bikes and it doesn't
      > seem to fair
      > well. Some of the reviewers say things like the
      > throttle is choppy,
      > the suspension is too hard, the shifting is not
      > precise, it performs
      > like a supped up 600 instead of a litre bike, it is
      > in a class of its
      > own. Does anyone on the list own a 2002 or 2003
      > that could give me
      > their impression of the bike, as well as how it
      > compares to other
      > bikes they have ridden. I live in the NYC
      > metropolitan area and most
      > of my rides will be upstate in the mountains riding
      > the twisties, not
      > much if any track stuff. Also, I was thinking of
      > upgrading the pipe
      > to an under the seat Wolf, any information on this
      > would also be
      > appreciated as well as other performance
      > improvements.
      >
      > Any information, tips, or opinions will be greatly
      > appreciated!
      >
      > Safe riding.
      >
      > Regards, Joe

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 21:36:54 +0100 (BST)
      > From: Malcolm Van Dyke <malvandyke@...>
      > Subject: Re: 2003 955 Daytona
      >
      > Hello Joe,
      > I upgraded from a Sprint ST (which I loved as well)
      > to a Daytona.
      > I've never regretted the change,although I do
      > sometimes miss the effortless torque of the Sprint.
      > The Daytona handles superbly,accelerates like a
      > rocket and sounds sublime.
      > I feel that the problem with motorcycle press is
      > that they don't always test bikes in a way that
> [...]
      === message truncated ===