How does the 500 measure up?

  • srubelmann
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2 1:28 PM
      I currently have a Magellan Meridian Gold and may purchase a Triton
      500 since there is no longer support for the Meridians. Is this a
      comparable unit and are the maps any good? Remembering the early map
      addons for the Merigold, they were years out of date, I don't want to
      get a new unit with the same problem. Any feedback is appreciated.
    • Johnny Vegas
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2 2:29 PM
        The Trition 500 will allow you to load National Geographic map, these are much better than the magellan maps, The one thing I do not like about the Triton is that it does not allow the storage on more than file for waypoints.
        I went from a Meridian Gold to an explorist 500, the Exp 500 is a big unpgrade from the meridian, but IMO the Triton is a step down from the Explorist 500
        I bought another Explorist 500 a few months ago to replace one that was stolen, After reading about all the problems witht the tritons if figured the Exp 500 would be a better choice for me.

        My local Costco now has the triton 500s for $200.00, if there is a costco by you and you really want to try the Trition 500-costco has a good return policy
        Fry's has a very poor return policy, I will never by a GPS fron fry's

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2 8:51 PM
          Thanks for the insight. Do either the Triton or Exp have street-level
          maps and are either upgradable on a regular basis?

          Thanks again.

          --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, Johnny Vegas <kdm4662@...> wrote:

          > The Trition 500 will allow you to load National Geographic map,
          these are much better than the magellan maps, The one thing I do not
          like about the Triton is that it does not allow the storage on more
          than file for waypoints.
          > I went from a Meridian Gold to an explorist 500, the Exp 500 is a
          big unpgrade from the meridian, but IMO the Triton is a step down
          from the Explorist 500
          > I bought another Explorist 500 a few months ago to replace one that
          was stolen, After reading about all the problems witht the tritons if
          figured the Exp 500 would be a better choice for me.

          > My local Costco now has the triton 500s for $200.00, if there is a
          costco by you and you really want to try the Trition 500-costco has a
          good return policy
          > Fry's has a very poor return policy, I will never by a GPS fron
          fry's

        • Carol
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3 1:26 PM
            >>>Thanks for the insight. Do either the Triton or Exp have street-level
            maps and are either upgradable on a regular basis?<<<

            I too, owning both an Explorist XL and 400, think you might be better served with an Explorist unit.  Although they too are now considered 'legacy'.  I've lurked on this forum for some time reading about the new Tritons, and so far I've not been too impressed.

            I loaded street maps onto my XL using MapSend Direct Route.  I also have topo maps on it created in TopoUSA with Mobile Mapper Office, so I can switch back and forth between them for off-road or vehicle-nav use.  The older TopoUSA program has excellent off-road (Jeep trails, minor dirt roads, etc) detail in it, better than the newer Topo3D program.

            My XL now does 'car-nav' (turn-by-turn) routing when loaded with the DR maps, I'm very happy with that.  Naturally it doesn't have 'voice prompts' like the dedicated car-nav units do, but that's OK.  I also upgraded the firmware to 1.55, which added all the nice Nav screens that you currently have on your Meri-Gold (which do NOT come preloaded on the Explorists).

            I really like the way the Explorists are seen by a computer as an 'external drive', so you can drag-and-drop files back and forth from PC to the SD card (or internal memory, if selected).  And, if it matters to you, the Explorists can send NMEA data to a computer mapping program (Street Atlas, etc) for realtime position information.  I could be wrong, but I don't think the Tritons are capable of sending NMEA.

            Other than firmware updates, which will probably no longer be offered by Magellan since the units are legacy, I don't know of any 'upgrades' that would be available.  And when mapping data becomes outdated, it seems Magellan would rather you go out and buy their latest software offering with newer maps.

            Lastly the XL has a huge bright color screen, about the largest of any I've seen, if that would be a plus for you.

            HTH,
            Carol
          • srubelmann
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 5 8:00 AM
              Thanks again for all the info. Seems the Explorist series - if you
              can find them - are way expensive. I may just keep nursing my
              Merigold along by repairing the battery connections every 6 months or
              so and wait to see what happens. I know my Merigold and it serves me
              well until there are no street updates available and then I will need
              to make a decision. I like the idea of downloading updates rather
              than buying high-priced software.