Re: Elevation shown in miles not feet

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 1, 2008
      Hi Joe,

      I have a new theory on the USB ports that do not work. Maggie uses one
      of the connections to power the GPS .. I am betting that this connection
      is not made from the PCMCIA chip that is controlling your two RIGHT
      USB's.

      Just for the heck of it reconnect the GPS to a right port and see if the
      battery charge status bar on the top left of the GPS goes to a fully
      charged status. (you will need to have two batteries in the unit that
      are not a full capacity.)

      Ed
      --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <nvjoe2004@...> wrote:

      > Hi, Ed!
      > That is something that puzzles me. I use those other ports all the
      > time. The way my laptop is positioned, it is easier to use the two
      > right side USB ports. The one that worked with the Triton is jammed
      > up against stuff, so I usually do not use it. My other USB devices
      > work OK on all ports. I ran a diagnostic and it reports all OK.
      >
      > Of course, if you need a real problem: as the Triton acquires
      > satellites, it shows elevation in feet but as soon as it indicates
      > more than 5,280 feet, it begins reporting in Decimal Miles. If I
      > change to metric or nautical it has a similar problem.
      >
      > As for the USB settings, I think that I will wait to see it it fails
      > again.
      > Thanks, Joe
      >
      > --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "Ed" edosan@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Joe,
      > >
      > > I am very happy that we got the problem.
      > >
      > > Now here is my observation. Each PCMCIA chip runs TWO USB ports.
      > >
      > > Either you have one of two PCMCIA chips malfunctioning or one of
      them
      > > turn off.
      > >
      > > Plug something else into the one of the other USB serial port (like
      > > Mouse) and see if they work.
      > >
      > > I bet that they do not.
      > >
      > > Before you report the problem to the computer MFRG. please double
      check
      > > the ROM BIOS and make sure that the USB is enabled or set at AUTO.
      > >
      > > These communications are very good for the members of this group ..
      it
      > > gives them insights into the mechanism of the computer and the
      Maggie
      > > software.
      > >
      > > Ed
      > > --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <nvjoe2004@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Ed, Finally, Success. Don't worry about the RIM ports, those are
      > > > assigned to my Blackberry. Your comment about hubs gave me an
      idea.
      > > > I do not use hubs. Never had any luck with them. However, my
      Toshiba
      > > > came with three USB ports. Two on the right and one one the left.
      > > > have been using the ones on the right, without success, but when I
      > > > plugged the Triton into the one on the left, it worked. I have
      been
      > > > able to update the firmware, transfer maps back and forth to the
      card
      > > > in the Triton with Topo and VP. FYI, it shows up on Com 6. Who
      knows
      > > > if it will work tommorrow but it works today. Thank you for your
      > > > patience and your help. Have Fun, Joe

      > > the
      > > device

      BIOS
      Sometimes
      > > the

      > > into a

      > > directly
      > > and

      > > might
      > > into a
      USB
      > > port

      > > other
      > > supply so

      > > Triton
      > > un
      > > ones.

      > > default

      > > time I
      > > we
      > > USB

      > > restarted
      > > on
      > > PC.

      > > of
      > > that
      > > 100
      > > Parks to
      > > maps.
      > > Triton
      > > with
      > > before

      > > Garmin
      > > trip to
      Wing
      > > for
      Verizon
      Navigator,
      > > differnt
      > > GPS, an
      > > a PC
      > > they

      have
      > > gone

      > > get

      > > connect
      GPS.

      > > NG

      > > The
      Drivers
      > > and if

      > > go
      TOPO

      > > it
      ONLY

      > > it
      > > mountains.

      > > driver. I
      Device
      > > (Except
      VP,
      > > then
      > > would
      Disc
      > > for

      > > 8,900'

    • Joe
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 2, 2008
        Hi, ED!
        Now I am really confused. I used a nearly dead set of rechargeable
        batteies and plugged them in to the right USB ports. Not only do both
        of them show a full battery and power up the Triton when the batteries
        alone would not, BUT! VP can connect to it on any of the three ports.
        The Triton shows up on Com 6.

      • Ed
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 2, 2008
          Joe,

          Apparently you have some kind of wiring problem with the USB cable or most likely you may have a short in your rechargeable batteries.

          The full battery status is NORMAL with a USB connected .. it does mean that the batteries are being charged.  It simply means that the USB when connected to a computer and the GPS is turned ON that the GPS is now being powered by the computer and NOT THE BATTERIES.

          So change out the rechargeable for new regulate batteries and prove that one of the rechargables are bad.

        • Joe
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 3, 2009
            Hi, Just a note to follow up on this. the elevation is OK but my vista computer keeps dleting the usb driver for the triton 400. If I uninstll VP then install it again as administrator, it installs the MUD driver as Magellan Triton series USB device on on com 11 but gives me a code 10 error (this device cannot start). when I try to upgrade the driver it just does it again. Sometimes it shows as an Unknown USB Device and installs as such. This problem has continued for more than a year. I have unistalled and reinstalled vp and vp lite, the usb driver, the generic driver, and no driver, and as adminstrator or not. VP cannot find the device, which I just updated to 1.7 before the driver went away. Why does the USB driver go away?
            The device just shows that it is waiting to connect. It takes hours to uninstall and reinstall everything, then if it works once, it goes away again.

          • Joe
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 3, 2009
              Ed, thanks for the quick reply. I tried the jungleghost fix but when I select the c:magellandrivers or the downloaded explorist 400 vista fix my computer will not accept my selection but insists that the driver for UNKNOWN DEVICE is the best one. I have tried to install the mud.sys and usbser.sys and .inf files with no luck. Usually, the magellan triton shows up under serial port 11 or 6 but now I am not even getting that.
              Joe