Re: New ship date?

  • Brent
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 14, 2007
      Just saw this on the Costco web site:

      Due to manufacture delay this item will be available in December
      The Magellan Triton 500 handheld GPS.

      The Factory Outlet Store is now saying early January.

      Maybe we need to ask which YEAR they are referring to!

      Brent
    • Brian - GPSOZ
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 15, 2007
        Message
        Also heard the 1500/2000's have been delayed until after the 2/3/4/500 have been shipped.

        regards
        brian

      • andrewmchorney@cox.net
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 15, 2007
          I am really amazed that they would miss out on Christmas sales especially with the higher end units.

          ---- Brian - GPSOZ <brian@...> wrote:
          > Also heard the 1500/2000's have been delayed until after the 2/3/4/500 have
          > been shipped.
          >
          > regards
          > brian

        • explorerozi
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 15, 2007
            Not if you buy from the US:)

            e.g.

            http://search.ecost.com/?q=magellan%20triton

            http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Magellan-Triton-1500-Handheld-GPS-FREE-
            SHIPPING_W0QQitemZ130174517236QQihZ003QQcategoryZ34290QQrdZ1QQssPageNa
            meZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

            Note:price ~1/2 currently quoted AUD price!!

            Any of our US based freinds like to confrm there availability?

            Anyone got one yet?

            Cheers
            Greg

            --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, <andrewmchorney@...> wrote:

            > I am really amazed that they would miss out on Christmas sales
            especially with the higher end units.

            > ---- Brian - GPSOZ <brian@...> wrote:
            > > Also heard the 1500/2000's have been delayed until after the
            2/3/4/500 have
            > > been shipped.
            > >
            > > regards
            > > brian

          • Brent
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 16, 2007
              I'd be surprised if they really have them when no-one else does.

              --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "explorerozi" <the_explorer@...> wrote:

              > Not if you buy from the US:)
              >
              > e.g.
              >
              > http://search.ecost.com/?q=magellan%20triton
              >

              > http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Magellan-Triton-1500-Handheld-GPS-FREE-
              > SHIPPING_W0QQitemZ130174517236QQihZ003QQcategoryZ34290QQrdZ1QQssPageNa
              > meZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem
              >
              > Note:price ~1/2 currently quoted AUD price!!
              >
              > Any of our US based freinds like to confrm there availability?
              >
              > Anyone got one yet?
              >
              > Cheers
              > Greg

            • Ricardo
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 16, 2007
                Looks like buy.com has the 1500 in stock too, $368 US

                http://www.buy.com/prod/magellan-triton-1500-handheld-navigation-system/q/loc/111/205856979.html

                I guess this is the first model to be released. Though I can't say
                that I've actually seen one.

                --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "explorerozi" <the_explorer@...> wrote:

                > Not if you buy from the US:)
                >
                > e.g.
                >
                > http://search.ecost.com/?q=magellan%20triton
                >
                > http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Magellan-Triton-1500-Handheld-GPS-FREE-
                > SHIPPING_W0QQitemZ130174517236QQihZ003QQcategoryZ34290QQrdZ1QQssPageNa
                > meZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem
                >
                > Note:price ~1/2 currently quoted AUD price!!
                >
                > Any of our US based freinds like to confrm there availability?
                >
                > Anyone got one yet?
                >
                > Cheers
                > Greg

              • explorerozi
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 16, 2007
                  Hello - there is more than one person/entity "selling" them so unless
                  its some sort of conspiracy I am tending to think they are around - for
                  starters one shop (with 673 feedback score x 99.7% positive) has them
                  for sale on eBay. Worst thing you can do on ebay is sell something and
                  not deliver. Evidience (feedbck rating) suggests they are not lying.
                  Lets be optimistic - they had to be released someday - maybe that
                  someday has come:)

                  Cheers
                  Greg

                  --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "Brent" <banda@...> wrote:

                  > I'd be surprised if they really have them when no-one else does.

                • Bill Keiser
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 16, 2007
                    one possibility is that their source says they are available. many
                    ebayers are actually drop shipping from established companies. i know
                    for a fact that amazon and X-10 do this. i was really confused once
                    when i got an item that i bought from an ebay seller on one side of
                    the country and the item came from amazon across the country.
                    also some overeager companies will claim "in stock" a bit
                    prematurely. i would like to think reputable firms don't do that, but
                    . . .
                    i'll withhold judgement until i hear someone say firsthand that they
                    have gotten one in their hands.
                    bs

                    > Hello - there is more than one person/entity "selling" them so unless
                    > its some sort of conspiracy I am tending to think they are around - for
                    > starters one shop (with 673 feedback score x 99.7% positive) has them
                    > for sale on eBay. Worst thing you can do on ebay is sell something and
                    > not deliver. Evidience (feedbck rating) suggests they are not lying.
                    > Lets be optimistic - they had to be released someday - maybe that
                    > someday has come:)
                    >
                    > Cheers
                    > Greg

                  • dalez0408
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 16, 2007
                      --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "Ricardo" <salcedo@...> wrote:

                      > Looks like buy.com has the 1500 in stock too, $368 US

                      Some of the range is now listed in an Australian catalogue -
                      Whitworths Marine and Leisure (www.whitworths.com.au), although I
                      cannot find the Tritons on the web site.

                      The catalogue gives the following info:
                      Available December
                      Triton 200 AU$348 RRP, AU$329 Our Price
                      Triton 300 AU$398 RRP, AU$379 Our Price
                      Triton 1500 AU$878 RRP, AU$839 Our Price
                      Triton 2000 AU$1098 RRP, AU$999 Our Price

                      (RRP is Recommended Retail Price)
                      Only those four products are listed.
                      Those prices, while high by US standards are typical Australian prices.
                      For example, the RRPs of some eXplorist models are:
                      400 AU$550
                      500 AU$750
                      600 AU$860
                      XL AU$925

                      Given the current exchange rate of around 90c/$, that works out to
                      roughly US$770 for an Australian eXplorist 600 and US$750-790 for the
                      Triton 1500.
                    • Bill Keiser
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 16, 2007
                        OUCH! do you have any relatives or friends in the US who can ship
                        stuff to you?
                        bs

                        > Those prices, while high by US standards are typical Australian prices.
                        > For example, the RRPs of some eXplorist models are:
                        > 400 AU$550
                        > 500 AU$750
                        > 600 AU$860
                        > XL AU$925
                        >
                        > Given the current exchange rate of around 90c/$, that works out to
                        > roughly US$770 for an Australian eXplorist 600 and US$750-790 for the
                        > Triton 1500.

                      • dalez0408
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 16, 2007
                          Unfortunately if we want the Australian basemap or Australian warranty
                          we have no choice but to pay that high price. I believe the POMs have
                          a similar price problem.

                          Unlike in the US and some other places, Australian basemaps (and the
                          data they are generated from) are not free. "Obtaining" them is
                          stealing :(

                          If we do purchase an overseas model, we can get the basemap changed
                          for AU$300 - but still no Aus warranty.

                          --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Keiser" <bk2@...> wrote:

                          > OUCH! do you have any relatives or friends in the US who can ship
                          > stuff to you?
                          > bs
                          >

                          > > Those prices, while high by US standards are typical Australian
                          prices.
                          > > For example, the RRPs of some eXplorist models are:
                          > > 400 AU$550
                          > > 500 AU$750
                          > > 600 AU$860
                          > > XL AU$925
                          > >
                          > > Given the current exchange rate of around 90c/$, that works out to
                          > > roughly US$770 for an Australian eXplorist 600 and US$750-790 for the
                          > > Triton 1500.

                        • explorerozi
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 16, 2007
                            Yep fair enough - further research I have done suggests something
                            fishy is going on - we will have to wait and see.

                            Cheers
                            Greg

                            --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Keiser" <bk2@...> wrote:

                            > one possibility is that their source says they are available. many
                            > ebayers are actually drop shipping from established companies. i
                            know
                            > for a fact that amazon and X-10 do this. i was really confused once
                            > when i got an item that i bought from an ebay seller on one side of
                            > the country and the item came from amazon across the country.
                            > also some overeager companies will claim "in stock" a bit
                            > prematurely. i would like to think reputable firms don't do that,
                            but
                            > . . .
                            > i'll withhold judgement until i hear someone say firsthand that
                            they
                            > have gotten one in their hands.
                            > bs
                            >
                            > > Hello - there is more than one person/entity "selling" them so
                            unless
                            > > its some sort of conspiracy I am tending to think they are
                            around - for
                            > > starters one shop (with 673 feedback score x 99.7% positive) has
                            them
                            > > for sale on eBay. Worst thing you can do on ebay is sell
                            something and
                            > > not deliver. Evidience (feedbck rating) suggests they are not
                            lying.
                            > > Lets be optimistic - they had to be released someday - maybe that
                            > > someday has come:)
                            > >
                            > > Cheers
                            > > Greg

                          • explorerozi
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 16, 2007
                              Basemap and warranty are, in my opinion, not worth paying double the
                              price. Warranty is for 1 year only (last time I heard) - after that
                              all units are in the same boat, buying two US units for the same
                              (approx) price as an "Aussie" one will give you warranty if you want
                              it (or send back to US supplier who will honour warranty for same
                              period anyway). Basemap is nearly worthless if you plan on getting
                              detailed maps (main purpose of a mapping gps I would have thought).
                              So you do have a choice.

                              Also from what I can figure the data from which Aus basemaps are
                              generated is free - its the Geoscience Aust 250K data - or part there
                              of. It is available as a free download from GA website and is what
                              some have used to make maps for garmins with. Maybe magellan have to
                              pay to use it but I am sure its not $300 per unit - DAST topo has
                              more detail and is ~$370. It all doesnt make sense.

                              Cheers
                              Greg

                              --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "dalez0408" <dale.y@...> wrote:

                              > Unfortunately if we want the Australian basemap or Australian
                              warranty
                              > we have no choice but to pay that high price. I believe the POMs
                              have
                              > a similar price problem.
                              >
                              > Unlike in the US and some other places, Australian basemaps (and the
                              > data they are generated from) are not free. "Obtaining" them is
                              > stealing :(
                              >
                              > If we do purchase an overseas model, we can get the basemap changed
                              > for AU$300 - but still no Aus warranty.
                              >
                              > --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Keiser" <bk2@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > OUCH! do you have any relatives or friends in the US who can ship
                              > > stuff to you?
                              > > bs
                              > >

                              > > > Those prices, while high by US standards are typical Australian
                              > prices.
                              > > > For example, the RRPs of some eXplorist models are:
                              > > > 400 AU$550
                              > > > 500 AU$750
                              > > > 600 AU$860
                              > > > XL AU$925
                              > > >
                              > > > Given the current exchange rate of around 90c/$, that works out
                              > > > roughly US$770 for an Australian eXplorist 600 and US$750-790
                              for the
                              > > > Triton 1500.

                            • Robin Corsiglia
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 17, 2007
                                National Geographic Maps and Magellan have teamed up to bring you the
                                first GPS for the outdoor market that can import National Geographic
                                TOPO! maps from either TOPO! or Weekend Explorer 3D.

                                New Web Page:
                                http://natgeomaps.com/category/TOPO%21%20f...d=183&tid=3

                                Using TOPO! and Weekend Explorer 3D with your Triton is easy — clip
                                out high-resolution 1:100,000 or 1:24,000 scale maps from the
                                software, along with routes and waypoints, and export them to the
                                Magellan Triton series of handhelds. Maps are viewable in full color
                                at multiple zoom levels on the Triton units.

                                With TOPO! or Weekend Explorer 3D & Triton you can:
                                Get seamless USGS maps to view on your Triton
                                Tell your GPS where you want to go by transferring waypoints and
                                routes between the software and your GPS*
                                Customize maps for your GPS with trails, symbols and text
                                Store an unlimited number of waypoints
                                Discover new places to go by searching TOPO!'s USA PlaceFinder for
                                waypoints
                                Generate elevation profiles
                                Print photo-quality maps with GPS grids
                                Receive map and software updates online with Live Map Update
                                **************************************
                                I am still not sure what is in the TOPO for one state and what is in
                                the Weekend Explorer 3D.

                                Does anyone know what the differences are?
                              • Mika-Matti Sorvali

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 18, 2007
                                    Hi
                                    IMHO from recent posts, I am getting the feeling that Triton is
                                    "vapourware" at this stage <g>.
                                    Not worth salivating over just yet.
                                    Triton is to eXplorist as Vista is to XP.
                                    ;-)

                                    Cheers
                                    Dave
                                    South Oz

                                    Mika-Matti Sorvali wrote:
                                    > And where is the rest of world ???
                                    >
                                    > Mika, Finland
                                    >
                                    > 2007/11/18, Robin Corsiglia <steameng1@... <mailto:steameng1@...>>:
                                    >
                                    > National Geographic Maps and Magellan have teamed up to bring you the
                                    > first GPS for the outdoor market that can import National Geographic
                                    > TOPO! maps from either TOPO! or Weekend Explorer 3D.

                                    <snip>