Triton 500 and SD Card

  • Gregory Heinrichs
    Message 1 of 8 , May 3, 2008
      Ok, I have a stomach ache now. For the life of me I can't figure out
      how to store waypoints on a sd card and be able to use them on the
      unit. I can't find any "transfer to card" in VP software. I have tried
      gpx files and .gs files by transfering them via windows then putting
      the card into the unit. My unit claims 88% full out of the box is that
      normal? I can format and read the card I am using in the unit.

      Some help me please. And where do I purchase detail street maps.

      Thx
      Gregory
    • Don Platten

        Message 3 of 8 , May 5, 2008
          Don, I put up a more detailed Basemap on my Yahoo Group entitled
          "man_tracking_university".

          You may want to join and look in the FILES section for the download.

          Ed

          Jun--- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, Don Platten <hateliars60@...>
          wrote:

          > we just got ours and are just starting to try understanding, just
          ordered national geographic hi res cd from thegps store, our basic
          garmin was easier and had more detail on basemap the triton base has
          freeway and coastline nothing else shows up

          > Gregory Heinrichs fe_cavallo@... wrote: Ok, I have a stomach
          ache now. For the life of me I can't figure out
          > how to store waypoints on a sd card and be able to use them on the
          > unit. I can't find any "transfer to card" in VP software. I have tried
          > gpx files and .gs files by transfering them via windows then putting
          > the card into the unit. My unit claims 88% full out of the box is that
          > normal? I can format and read the card I am using in the unit.
          >
          > Some help me please. And where do I purchase detail street maps.
          >
          > Thx
          > Gregory
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          Try it now.

        • Ed
          Message 4 of 8 , May 6, 2008
            Don,

            I apologize the new Baseline file is in the LINKS section and not the FILES section of the Yahoo Group as in my first message.

            The file is entitled " New Basemap for Magellan Triton 500 GPS"

            Ed

            --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "Ed" <edosan@...> wrote:

            > Don, I put up a more detailed Basemap on my Yahoo Group entitled
            > "man_tracking_university".
            >
            > You may want to join and look in the FILES section for the download.
            >
            > Ed
            >
            > Jun--- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, Don Platten hateliars60@
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > we just got ours and are just starting to try understanding, just
            > ordered national geographic hi res cd from thegps store, our basic
            > garmin was easier and had more detail on basemap the triton base has
            > freeway and coastline nothing else shows up
            > >
            > > Gregory Heinrichs fe_cavallo@ wrote: Ok, I have a stomach
            > ache now. For the life of me I can't figure out
            > > how to store waypoints on a sd card and be able to use them on the
            > > unit. I can't find any "transfer to card" in VP software. I have tried
            > > gpx files and .gs files by transfering them via windows then putting
            > > the card into the unit. My unit claims 88% full out of the box is that
            > > normal? I can format and read the card I am using in the unit.
            > >
            > > Some help me please. And where do I purchase detail street maps.
            > >
            > > Thx
            > > Gregory
            > >

            > > ---------------------------------
            > Try it now.

          • Gregory Heinrichs
            Message 5 of 8 , May 6, 2008
              I got a basemap for it from another site and its much better, it has waterways, ditches, highways, etc. I put the map on the memory card and run it from there and you don't have to erase the oem basemap.

              Quote from another site:
              You can download the Explorer at the site below. I does not have 'all' roads but is more detailed than the one provided with the Tritons. It is 8+ megs and must be laoded in Triton memory (put it on the card, unless your model doesn't have sd card slot). You cannot remove the std basemap, so this isa in addition to the memory already used. P.S. don't try to read this file, simply save it .

              http://imhz.com/BASEMAP.MGI

              Hope this is some help. More detailed road maps arepart of Detailed Map packages.

              R.

            • Ed
              Message 6 of 8 , May 6, 2008
                This is the same basemap that I have on my Yahoo Group site in the LINKS section.

                Using VP install it on your SD card and then activate it using the Triton commands VIEW>>MAPS .. it will change names to "North America".

                As noted UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES DO NOT REMOVE THE MAP SUPPLIED WITH TRITON.

                TRITON NEEDS THIS MAP WHEN IT UPGRADES.

                --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory Heinrichs" <gregory.heinrichs@...> wrote:

                > I got a basemap for it from another site and its much better, it has
                > waterways, ditches, highways, etc. I put the map on the memory card and run
                > it from there and you don't have to erase the oem basemap.
                >
                > Quote from another site:
                > You can download the Explorer at the site below. I does not have 'all' roads
                > but is more detailed than the one provided with the Tritons. It is 8+ megs
                > and must be laoded in Triton memory (put it on the card, unless your model
                > doesn't have sd card slot). You cannot remove the std basemap, so this isa
                > in addition to the memory already used. P.S. don't try to read this file,
                > simply save it .
                >
                > http://imhz.com/BASEMAP.MGI
                >

                > Hope this is some help. More detailed road maps arepart of Detailed Mappackages.
                >
                > R.
                >

                > > **

              • jbigoney
                Message 7 of 8 , May 23, 2008
                  Boy was I thrilled when I saw this - it looked like an opportunity tog
                  et a better map loaded onto this Triton 500.
                  I got the file downloaded and trasnferred to the unit, but I can't view
                  it. There is a diangonal red bar through the "N. America" map icon on
                  the "view" menu, and the unit won't let me highlight it to view it.
                  Anyone know what the fix is?
                • jbigoney
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 24, 2008
                    Well I figured it out - the way to get the map to load is a little non-
                    intuitive but I stumbled on it so now I am good to go.
                    Thanks for the link to that North America map!