New ship date?

  • ncbob27409
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 1, 2007
      Just saw on this site that it's a late November delivery:

      http://magellan.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/2103/Magellan-Triton-Series-GPS-Homepage.html

      This is about the only place I've seen any kind of actual date or
      estimate.

      Has anyone heard anything more reliable on when they'll be available
      or shipping?
    • andrewmchorney@cox.net
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 1, 2007
        Hello

        I would suspect the most accurate information would come from Magellan. I am sure they want to get it right and not have issues out the gate. The one thing that puzzles me is why they will not publish information such as weight and expected battery life. The weight has to be known since the size is known. The battery life should also be known by now. I am wondering with the new features whether this unit is lighter or heavier than my platinum.

        Andrew

      • andrewmchorney@cox.net
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 1, 2007

          ---- ncbob27409 <rgusek@...> wrote:
          > Just saw on this site that it's a late November delivery:
          >
          > http://magellan.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/2103/Magellan-Triton-Series-GPS-Homepage.html
          >

          > This is about the only place I've seen any kind of actual date or
          > estimate.
          >
          > Has anyone heard anything more reliable on when they'll be available
          > or shipping?

        • AndrewMcHorney
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 6, 2007
            Have they released the specs yet?

            At 07:42 2007-10-07, you wrote:

            www.tigergps.com still has a release date of Oct. -Oscar

            --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com , "ncbob27409" <rgusek@...> wrote:

            > Just saw on this site that it's a late November delivery:
            >
            > http://magellan.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/2103/Magellan-Triton-
            Series-GPS-Homepage.html

            > This is about the only place I've seen any kind of actual date or
            > estimate.
            >
            > Has anyone heard anything more reliable on when they'll be available
            > or shipping?

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          • Oscar
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 7, 2007
              www.tigergps.com still has a release date of Oct. -Oscar

              --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "ncbob27409" <rgusek@...> wrote:

              > Just saw on this site that it's a late November delivery:
              >
              > http://magellan.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/2103/Magellan-Triton-
              Series-GPS-Homepage.html

              > This is about the only place I've seen any kind of actual date or
              > estimate.
              >
              > Has anyone heard anything more reliable on when they'll be available
              > or shipping?

            • Skramblr
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 7, 2007
                Magellan says? "Launch in September... no wait, October! Nah, its Noverber now. No, really this time. Trust me...."

                I remember DirectRoute NA was delated more than 6 months... They have a lousy track record...

                :)

                On 10/7/07, Oscar <oscarg1971@...> wrote:
                www.tigergps.com still has a release date of Oct. -Oscar

                --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "ncbob27409" <rgusek@...> wrote:

                > Just saw on this site that it's a late November delivery:
                >
                > http://magellan.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/2103/Magellan-Triton-
                Series-GPS-Homepage.html

                > This is about the only place I've seen any kind of actual date or
                > estimate.
                >
                > Has anyone heard anything more reliable on when they'll be available
                > or shipping?

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                <*> Your email settings:
                   Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                   (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                   mailto:tritongps-digest@yahoogroups.com
                   mailto: tritongps-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                   http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • r_owings1
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 11, 2007
                  --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "ncbob27409" <rgusek@...> wrote:

                  > Just saw on this site that it's a late November delivery:

                  http://magellan.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/2103/Magellan-Triton-Series-GPS-Homepage.html

                  > This is about the only place I've seen any kind of actual date or
                  > estimate.
                  >
                  > Has anyone heard anything more reliable on when they'll be available
                  > or shipping?

                  My contacts recently told me that the new release timeline is early to
                  mid-November.

                  Rich Owings
                  http://gpstracklog.typepad.com
                  http://gpstrackingsystems.biz
                • Brent
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 14, 2007
                    Just saw this on the Costco web site:

                    Due to manufacture delay this item will be available in December
                    The Magellan Triton 500 handheld GPS.

                    The Factory Outlet Store is now saying early January.

                    Maybe we need to ask which YEAR they are referring to!

                    Brent
                  • Brian - GPSOZ
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 15, 2007
                      Message
                      Also heard the 1500/2000's have been delayed until after the 2/3/4/500 have been shipped.

                      regards
                      brian

                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 15, 2007
                        I am really amazed that they would miss out on Christmas sales especially with the higher end units.

                        ---- Brian - GPSOZ <brian@...> wrote:
                        > Also heard the 1500/2000's have been delayed until after the 2/3/4/500 have
                        > been shipped.
                        >
                        > regards
                        > brian

                      • explorerozi
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 15, 2007
                          Not if you buy from the US:)

                          e.g.

                          http://search.ecost.com/?q=magellan%20triton

                          http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Magellan-Triton-1500-Handheld-GPS-FREE-
                          SHIPPING_W0QQitemZ130174517236QQihZ003QQcategoryZ34290QQrdZ1QQssPageNa
                          meZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

                          Note:price ~1/2 currently quoted AUD price!!

                          Any of our US based freinds like to confrm there availability?

                          Anyone got one yet?

                          Cheers
                          Greg

                          --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, <andrewmchorney@...> wrote:

                          > I am really amazed that they would miss out on Christmas sales
                          especially with the higher end units.

                          > ---- Brian - GPSOZ <brian@...> wrote:
                          > > Also heard the 1500/2000's have been delayed until after the
                          2/3/4/500 have
                          > > been shipped.
                          > >
                          > > regards
                          > > brian

                        • Brent
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 16, 2007
                            I'd be surprised if they really have them when no-one else does.

                            --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "explorerozi" <the_explorer@...> wrote:

                            > Not if you buy from the US:)
                            >
                            > e.g.
                            >
                            > http://search.ecost.com/?q=magellan%20triton
                            >

                            > http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Magellan-Triton-1500-Handheld-GPS-FREE-
                            > SHIPPING_W0QQitemZ130174517236QQihZ003QQcategoryZ34290QQrdZ1QQssPageNa
                            > meZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem
                            >
                            > Note:price ~1/2 currently quoted AUD price!!
                            >
                            > Any of our US based freinds like to confrm there availability?
                            >
                            > Anyone got one yet?
                            >
                            > Cheers
                            > Greg

                          • Ricardo
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 16, 2007
                              Looks like buy.com has the 1500 in stock too, $368 US

                              http://www.buy.com/prod/magellan-triton-1500-handheld-navigation-system/q/loc/111/205856979.html

                              I guess this is the first model to be released. Though I can't say
                              that I've actually seen one.

                              --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "explorerozi" <the_explorer@...> wrote:

                              > Not if you buy from the US:)
                              >
                              > e.g.
                              >
                              > http://search.ecost.com/?q=magellan%20triton
                              >
                              > http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Magellan-Triton-1500-Handheld-GPS-FREE-
                              > SHIPPING_W0QQitemZ130174517236QQihZ003QQcategoryZ34290QQrdZ1QQssPageNa
                              > meZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem
                              >
                              > Note:price ~1/2 currently quoted AUD price!!
                              >
                              > Any of our US based freinds like to confrm there availability?
                              >
                              > Anyone got one yet?
                              >
                              > Cheers
                              > Greg

                            • explorerozi
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 16, 2007
                                Hello - there is more than one person/entity "selling" them so unless
                                its some sort of conspiracy I am tending to think they are around - for
                                starters one shop (with 673 feedback score x 99.7% positive) has them
                                for sale on eBay. Worst thing you can do on ebay is sell something and
                                not deliver. Evidience (feedbck rating) suggests they are not lying.
                                Lets be optimistic - they had to be released someday - maybe that
                                someday has come:)

                                Cheers
                                Greg

                                --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "Brent" <banda@...> wrote:

                                > I'd be surprised if they really have them when no-one else does.

                              • Bill Keiser
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 16, 2007
                                  one possibility is that their source says they are available. many
                                  ebayers are actually drop shipping from established companies. i know
                                  for a fact that amazon and X-10 do this. i was really confused once
                                  when i got an item that i bought from an ebay seller on one side of
                                  the country and the item came from amazon across the country.
                                  also some overeager companies will claim "in stock" a bit
                                  prematurely. i would like to think reputable firms don't do that, but
                                  . . .
                                  i'll withhold judgement until i hear someone say firsthand that they
                                  have gotten one in their hands.
                                  bs

                                  > Hello - there is more than one person/entity "selling" them so unless
                                  > its some sort of conspiracy I am tending to think they are around - for
                                  > starters one shop (with 673 feedback score x 99.7% positive) has them
                                  > for sale on eBay. Worst thing you can do on ebay is sell something and
                                  > not deliver. Evidience (feedbck rating) suggests they are not lying.
                                  > Lets be optimistic - they had to be released someday - maybe that
                                  > someday has come:)
                                  >
                                  > Cheers
                                  > Greg

                                • dalez0408
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 16, 2007
                                    --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "Ricardo" <salcedo@...> wrote:

                                    > Looks like buy.com has the 1500 in stock too, $368 US

                                    Some of the range is now listed in an Australian catalogue -
                                    Whitworths Marine and Leisure (www.whitworths.com.au), although I
                                    cannot find the Tritons on the web site.

                                    The catalogue gives the following info:
                                    Available December
                                    Triton 200 AU$348 RRP, AU$329 Our Price
                                    Triton 300 AU$398 RRP, AU$379 Our Price
                                    Triton 1500 AU$878 RRP, AU$839 Our Price
                                    Triton 2000 AU$1098 RRP, AU$999 Our Price

                                    (RRP is Recommended Retail Price)
                                    Only those four products are listed.
                                    Those prices, while high by US standards are typical Australian prices.
                                    For example, the RRPs of some eXplorist models are:
                                    400 AU$550
                                    500 AU$750
                                    600 AU$860
                                    XL AU$925

                                    Given the current exchange rate of around 90c/$, that works out to
                                    roughly US$770 for an Australian eXplorist 600 and US$750-790 for the
                                    Triton 1500.
                                  • Bill Keiser
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 16, 2007
                                      OUCH! do you have any relatives or friends in the US who can ship
                                      stuff to you?
                                      bs

                                      > Those prices, while high by US standards are typical Australian prices.
                                      > For example, the RRPs of some eXplorist models are:
                                      > 400 AU$550
                                      > 500 AU$750
                                      > 600 AU$860
                                      > XL AU$925
                                      >
                                      > Given the current exchange rate of around 90c/$, that works out to
                                      > roughly US$770 for an Australian eXplorist 600 and US$750-790 for the
                                      > Triton 1500.

                                    • dalez0408
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 16, 2007
                                        Unfortunately if we want the Australian basemap or Australian warranty
                                        we have no choice but to pay that high price. I believe the POMs have
                                        a similar price problem.

                                        Unlike in the US and some other places, Australian basemaps (and the
                                        data they are generated from) are not free. "Obtaining" them is
                                        stealing :(

                                        If we do purchase an overseas model, we can get the basemap changed
                                        for AU$300 - but still no Aus warranty.

                                        --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Keiser" <bk2@...> wrote:

                                        > OUCH! do you have any relatives or friends in the US who can ship
                                        > stuff to you?
                                        > bs
                                        >

                                        > > Those prices, while high by US standards are typical Australian
                                        prices.
                                        > > For example, the RRPs of some eXplorist models are:
                                        > > 400 AU$550
                                        > > 500 AU$750
                                        > > 600 AU$860
                                        > > XL AU$925
                                        > >
                                        > > Given the current exchange rate of around 90c/$, that works out to
                                        > > roughly US$770 for an Australian eXplorist 600 and US$750-790 for the
                                        > > Triton 1500.

                                      • explorerozi
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Nov 16, 2007
                                          Yep fair enough - further research I have done suggests something
                                          fishy is going on - we will have to wait and see.

                                          Cheers
                                          Greg

                                          --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Keiser" <bk2@...> wrote:

                                          > one possibility is that their source says they are available. many
                                          > ebayers are actually drop shipping from established companies. i
                                          know
                                          > for a fact that amazon and X-10 do this. i was really confused once
                                          > when i got an item that i bought from an ebay seller on one side of
                                          > the country and the item came from amazon across the country.
                                          > also some overeager companies will claim "in stock" a bit
                                          > prematurely. i would like to think reputable firms don't do that,
                                          but
                                          > . . .
                                          > i'll withhold judgement until i hear someone say firsthand that
                                          they
                                          > have gotten one in their hands.
                                          > bs
                                          >
                                          > > Hello - there is more than one person/entity "selling" them so
                                          unless
                                          > > its some sort of conspiracy I am tending to think they are
                                          around - for
                                          > > starters one shop (with 673 feedback score x 99.7% positive) has
                                          them
                                          > > for sale on eBay. Worst thing you can do on ebay is sell
                                          something and
                                          > > not deliver. Evidience (feedbck rating) suggests they are not
                                          lying.
                                          > > Lets be optimistic - they had to be released someday - maybe that
                                          > > someday has come:)
                                          > >
                                          > > Cheers
                                          > > Greg

                                        • explorerozi
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Nov 16, 2007
                                            Basemap and warranty are, in my opinion, not worth paying double the
                                            price. Warranty is for 1 year only (last time I heard) - after that
                                            all units are in the same boat, buying two US units for the same
                                            (approx) price as an "Aussie" one will give you warranty if you want
                                            it (or send back to US supplier who will honour warranty for same
                                            period anyway). Basemap is nearly worthless if you plan on getting
                                            detailed maps (main purpose of a mapping gps I would have thought).
                                            So you do have a choice.

                                            Also from what I can figure the data from which Aus basemaps are
                                            generated is free - its the Geoscience Aust 250K data - or part there
                                            of. It is available as a free download from GA website and is what
                                            some have used to make maps for garmins with. Maybe magellan have to
                                            pay to use it but I am sure its not $300 per unit - DAST topo has
                                            more detail and is ~$370. It all doesnt make sense.

                                            Cheers
                                            Greg

                                            --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "dalez0408" <dale.y@...> wrote:

                                            > Unfortunately if we want the Australian basemap or Australian
                                            warranty
                                            > we have no choice but to pay that high price. I believe the POMs
                                            have
                                            > a similar price problem.
                                            >
                                            > Unlike in the US and some other places, Australian basemaps (and the
                                            > data they are generated from) are not free. "Obtaining" them is
                                            > stealing :(
                                            >
                                            > If we do purchase an overseas model, we can get the basemap changed
                                            > for AU$300 - but still no Aus warranty.
                                            >
                                            > --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Keiser" <bk2@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > OUCH! do you have any relatives or friends in the US who can ship
                                            > > stuff to you?
                                            > > bs
                                            > >

                                            > > > Those prices, while high by US standards are typical Australian
                                            > prices.
                                            > > > For example, the RRPs of some eXplorist models are:
                                            > > > 400 AU$550
                                            > > > 500 AU$750
                                            > > > 600 AU$860
                                            > > > XL AU$925
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Given the current exchange rate of around 90c/$, that works out
                                            > > > roughly US$770 for an Australian eXplorist 600 and US$750-790
                                            for the
                                            > > > Triton 1500.

                                          • Robin Corsiglia
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Nov 17, 2007
                                              National Geographic Maps and Magellan have teamed up to bring you the
                                              first GPS for the outdoor market that can import National Geographic
                                              TOPO! maps from either TOPO! or Weekend Explorer 3D.

                                              New Web Page:
                                              http://natgeomaps.com/category/TOPO%21%20f...d=183&tid=3

                                              Using TOPO! and Weekend Explorer 3D with your Triton is easy — clip
                                              out high-resolution 1:100,000 or 1:24,000 scale maps from the
                                              software, along with routes and waypoints, and export them to the
                                              Magellan Triton series of handhelds. Maps are viewable in full color
                                              at multiple zoom levels on the Triton units.

                                              With TOPO! or Weekend Explorer 3D & Triton you can:
                                              Get seamless USGS maps to view on your Triton
                                              Tell your GPS where you want to go by transferring waypoints and
                                              routes between the software and your GPS*
                                              Customize maps for your GPS with trails, symbols and text
                                              Store an unlimited number of waypoints
                                              Discover new places to go by searching TOPO!'s USA PlaceFinder for
                                              waypoints
                                              Generate elevation profiles
                                              Print photo-quality maps with GPS grids
                                              Receive map and software updates online with Live Map Update
                                              **************************************
                                              I am still not sure what is in the TOPO for one state and what is in
                                              the Weekend Explorer 3D.

                                              Does anyone know what the differences are?
                                            • Mika-Matti Sorvali

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Nov 18, 2007
                                                  Hi
                                                  IMHO from recent posts, I am getting the feeling that Triton is
                                                  "vapourware" at this stage <g>.
                                                  Not worth salivating over just yet.
                                                  Triton is to eXplorist as Vista is to XP.
                                                  ;-)

                                                  Cheers
                                                  Dave
                                                  South Oz

                                                  Mika-Matti Sorvali wrote:
                                                  > And where is the rest of world ???
                                                  >
                                                  > Mika, Finland
                                                  >
                                                  > 2007/11/18, Robin Corsiglia <steameng1@... <mailto:steameng1@...>>:
                                                  >
                                                  > National Geographic Maps and Magellan have teamed up to bring you the
                                                  > first GPS for the outdoor market that can import National Geographic
                                                  > TOPO! maps from either TOPO! or Weekend Explorer 3D.

                                                  <snip>