I got a "Megellan Triton 1500" and "National Geographic Topo! Explorer deluxe Map Data" many years ago and could never figure out how to use it.

  • Jim Forshey (Aquatic Book Shop)
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 11, 2013

      I got a “Megellan Triton 1500” and “National Geographic Topo! Explorer deluxe Map Data” many years ago and could never figure out how to use it. I have pulled it out of the closet and am try to use it again. I am still trying to figure it out and am not making any progress.

      Any suggestions?

      Any user groups in the Sacramento/Placerville area?

      Thank you

      Jim

      Placerville, California

    • brock

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 20, 2013
          What problems are you having? I've been using a Triton 2000 (same as 1500 except for addition of compass and barometer) for several years, and really like it. The best feature is the ability to create free maps - I have never had to purchase a topo or navigation map. The touchscreen takes some getting used to, and frankly the documentation was poor, so poking around the interface is the best way to learn it.

          I adapt my own maps, so I can't comment on the NatGeo Topo package you have. All the USGS topo maps, and NOAA navigation charts, are available for free download, and it's a *fairly* simple matter to convert them to the Triton format. You can make a map from an aerial or satellite photo (like from Google Earth) as well, by similar means.

          I found tritonforum.com and freegeographytools.com to be good learning resources. That's where I learned how to make Triton maps. I don't know how active tritonforum is any longer, but you can ask questions there. There's also a guy who's made a huge bunch of Triton maps and posted them online. Some are free, some cost a very small amount. Maps4me.net is the website.

          --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Forshey \(Aquatic Book Shop\)" <jim@...> wrote:

          > I got a "Megellan Triton 1500" and "National Geographic Topo! Explorer
          > deluxe Map Data" many years ago and could never figure out how to use it. I
          > have pulled it out of the closet and am try to use it again. I am still
          > trying to figure it out and am not making any progress.
          >

          > Any suggestions?
          >

          > Any user groups in the Sacramento/Placerville area?
          >

          > Thank you
          >
          > Jim
          >
          > Placerville, California

        • Edward Houston

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 21, 2013
              The USGS has free topo maps and it is not too difficult to synch them and make them coordinate with the Magellan. Maybe 10 minutes per map.

              To: tritongps@yahoogroups.com
              From: hammerbud1113@...
              Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 06:45:53 -0800

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 21, 2013

                I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions, some of the confusion I have is

                I seem to be missing something, for example, the manual says to Reset Odometer

                Resetting the Odometer

                1. While viewing the Speedometer screen, press MENU.

                2. Select Reset Odometer.

                3. The Speedometer screen is displayed with the odometer reset to

                zero.

                When I do it

                1.    While viewing the Speedometer screen, I press MENU.

                2.    I get a screen that has the following selections “Go To”, “Create” and “View”

                To: tritongps@yahoogroups.com
                From: hammerbud1113@...
                Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 06:45:53 -0800

                From: Jim Forshey (Aquatic Book Shop) <jim@...>

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 21, 2013
                  --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Forshey \(Aquatic Book Shop\)" <jim@...> wrote:

                  > I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions, some of the confusion
                  > I have is
                  >
                  > I seem to be missing something, for example, the manual says to Reset
                  > Odometer
                  >
                  > Resetting the Odometer
                  >
                  > 1. While viewing the Speedometer screen, press MENU.

                  Press the centre button instead