triton 1500 and geocaching

  • Beth
    Message 1 of 4 , May 23, 2012
      Hi~ I bought a triton 1500 and the info is very limited as to how to use this for geocaching once I got the unit. (I bought it off of someone who I think could also not get it to do what he wanted it to do) I have it loaded but the base map does not show any roads other than the major highways. Is this normal and do I have to purchase the maps set? Uggg if so, it is $90 bucks I do not want to spend. My other magellan even had a compass and would show my the direction I need to go in. Any help would be appreciate as the manual did not cover my questions and searching online has not provided the answers either. Thanks!
    • Mark Bennett
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 6, 2012

        You can download USGS topo maps for free from the USGS and instal them or you can buy the National Geographic maps package and instal them.

        To: tritongps@yahoogroups.com
        From: sweetyetevil@...
        Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 23:56:54 +0000
        Subject: [tritongps] triton 1500 and geocaching

        Hi~ I bought a triton 1500 and the info is very limited as to how to use this for geocaching once I got the unit. (I bought it off of someone who I think could also not get it to do what he wanted it to do) I have it loaded but the base map does not show any roads other than the major highways. Is this normal and do I have to purchase the maps set? Uggg if so, it is $90 bucks I do not want to spend. My other magellan even had a compass and would show my the direction I need to go in. Any help would be appreciate as the manual did not cover my questions and searching online has not provided the answers either. Thanks!

      • mlpeterson98
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 7, 2012
          Don't be too quick to discount your Triton 1500! I think with a little more research you'll find it to be an outstanding device. I have a 2000 (has the compass, which I don't find so useful, but I also don't geocache), and I wouldn't trade it for any other.

          It's easy to load free topo maps onto the unit. Try tritonforum.com and freegeographytools.com for lots of information about using the fabulous user map installation feature of the Triton devices.

          --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "Beth" <sweetyetevil@...> wrote:

          > Hi~ I bought a triton 1500 and the info is very limited as to how to use this for geocaching once I got the unit. (I bought it off of someone who I think could also not get it to do what he wanted it to do) I have it loaded but the base map does not show any roads other than the major highways. Is this normal and do I have to purchase the maps set? Uggg if so, it is $90 bucks I do not want to spend. My other magellan even had a compass and would show my the direction I need to go in. Any help would be appreciate as the manual did not cover my questions and searching online has not provided the answers either. Thanks!

        • ezeechairottawa
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 7, 2012
            Maps can be had for any place in the world. I have downloaded pretty well all of them from
            http://www.maps4me.net

            They are in the .imi format and will load on any of the Tritons that use sd cards - same goes for the old eXplorist series.

            This includes the UK as well.

            John