I recently found...

  • raykimbro
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 26, 2011
      My Triton GPS - I'd thought it lost, but, after 2 years under the seat of my wife's minivan - it's come back!

      Anyway - I was wondering what mapping programs are considered the best for this unit, as the base map is severely lacking. Additionally, can the maps be loaded directly to the memory card? If so - what format/utility is best used to accomplish this? (sorry - don't have any of the original paperwork - tossed it when I thought my GPS was gone).

      Thanks for any and all suggestions!
    • Pieter Litchfield
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 26, 2011

        I have a bunch of stuff I like to have on my GPS (Triton 400) maps.  Since I do a lot of trail layout work, it is important for me to know where all existing trails and of course property boundaries are.

        I use OziExplorer with downloaded scanned quads of my area(s), and then using OziExplorer I add the trails I have already GPS'ed and the tax lot map boundaries that I get (free) from the county tax office.

        I then use TritonRMP maker to convert the finished OziExplorer map into a georeferenced map ready to load into my Triton 400.  It is limited in the magnifications you can use, but it works perfectly for my purposes.  For more info on TritonRMP, just Google on that name.

        The maps can be loaded directly onto the memory card.  Of course, any track and waypoint data is in internal (not card) memory.

        For other uses (outside the geographic area of my detailed homemade maps, I use Magellans Topo USA "AccuTerra" maps.  These come on a copy protected memory card.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 26, 2011
          Thanks -

          I'm primarily interested in figuring out how to make TOPO and overlay maps of the places I paddle/hike/hunt - and am really uncertain where to begin educating myself.

          I'll take a look at the references from "TritonRMP" - thanks again!

          --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "Pieter Litchfield" <plitchfield@...> wrote:

          > I have a bunch of stuff I like to have on my GPS (Triton 400) maps. Since I
          > do a lot of trail layout work, it is important for me to know where all
          > existing trails and of course property boundaries are.
          >
          > I use OziExplorer with downloaded scanned quads of my area(s), and then
          > using OziExplorer I add the trails I have already GPS'ed and the tax lot map
          > boundaries that I get (free) from the county tax office.
          >
          > I then use TritonRMP maker to convert the finished OziExplorer map into a
          > georeferenced map ready to load into my Triton 400. It is limited in the
          > magnifications you can use, but it works perfectly for my purposes. For
          > more info on TritonRMP, just Google on that name.
          >

          > The maps can be loaded directly onto the memory card. Of course, any track
          > and waypoint data is in internal (not card) memory.
          >

          > For other uses (outside the geographic area of my detailed homemade maps, I
          > use Magellans Topo USA "AccuTerra" maps. These come on a copy protected
          > memory card.

        • mlpeterson98
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 26, 2011
            I've purchased maps from maps4me.net, which has a collection of topo and other maps. Other than that, I've also made a bunch of my own from freely downloadable topo maps and NOAA navigation charts. As the other responder mentioned, you can use Triton RMP Maker to make your own. It's pretty easy to do. You can use another piece of freeware - Triton RMP Helper, to solve the limited-zoom issue he mentions. I learned about these things at freegeographytools.com, and the tritonforum.com is useful too. There is a bit of a learning curve, but I have no background in mapping or GPS and am able to make useful maps for my Triton with just a few simple freeware tools.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 26, 2011
              Forgot to mention, you can use Magellan's Vantage Point software to preview and modify maps, then download them to the Triton. Similarly, you can upload waypoints, routes, and trails from the Triton to Vantage Point for easier viewing. The .rmp format maps can also simply be copied to your SDHC memory card using your PC and a card reader, but the card has to be set up first for this to work, so it's best to start with Vantage Point, which takes care of that. I find Vantage Point pretty useful, since the display on the Triton itself is small, and Vantage Point has functions that are either more laborious or not available on the Triton.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 27, 2011
                Thanks a bunch - I appreciate the hints!

                --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "mlpeterson98" <spoolin@...> wrote:

                > Forgot to mention, you can use Magellan's Vantage Point software to preview and modify maps, then download them to the Triton. Similarly, you can upload waypoints, routes, and trails from the Triton to Vantage Point for easier viewing. The .rmp format maps can also simply be copied to your SDHC memory card using your PC and a card reader, but the card has to be set up first for this to work, so it's best to start with Vantage Point, which takes care of that. I find Vantage Point pretty useful, since the display on the Triton itself is small, and Vantage Point has functions that are either more laborious or not available on the Triton.
                >
                > --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "raykimbro" <ray.kimbro@> wrote:
                > >
                > > My Triton GPS - I'd thought it lost, but, after 2 years under the seat of my wife's minivan - it's come back!
                > >
                > > Anyway - I was wondering what mapping programs are considered the best for this unit, as the base map is severely lacking. Additionally, can the maps be loaded directly to the memory card? If so - what format/utility is best used to accomplish this? (sorry - don't have any of the original paperwork - tossed it when I thought my GPS was gone).
                > >
                > > Thanks for any and all suggestions!

              • Paul Martin
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 27, 2011
                  mobile atlas creator :)

                  My Triton GPS - I'd thought it lost, but, after 2 years under the seat of my wife's minivan - it's come back!

                  Anyway - I was wondering what mapping programs are considered the best for this unit, as the base map is severely lacking. Additionally, can the maps be loaded directly to the memory card? If so - what format/utility is best used to accomplish this? (sorry - don't have any of the original paperwork - tossed it when I thought my GPS was gone).

                  Thanks for any and all suggestions!

                • joshbparker
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 27, 2011
                    Up until January, I worked for the company that produces the AccuTerra dataset. I know all the guys that built it, and I'd say it's pretty good - not perfect, but a fairly solid and updated map product. One thing it does have that is of interest to rafters is that the data includes land use boundaries for the entire US - BLM, National Forest, and even more obscure designations like Tribal land, conservation areas and wildlife refuges. That's important when you're on runs where the river cuts through a lot of private and public lands- gotta know where it's legal to camp.

                    Because of the Triton's limitations, AccuTerra doesn't display nearly as nice as it looks on the iPhone app counterpart, but it's still valuable info at the price for that unit.

                    Anyway- enjoy.

                    Josh